The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.... New Mexico State style:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I believe that the above mentioned 28 guys making tackles is trying to address the depth...hoping it works!!! RTR!!!
The SEC competition is a lot different than NMSU. IMHO, I really don't think we pressured the QB enough for that level of competition.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good: Tua, WRs, Defense as a whole. Oh and the kicker!

Bad: OL, RBs. The issue isn't talent and that's comforting. They'll get it fixed.

Ugly: Refs. There was not a block in the back on Waddle's return. The heat.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good: The passing game and it looks like we finally have a placekicker. Also thought Mac Jones is looking like a capable backup. He's no Tua, but there's no shame in that. I thought he ran the offense well, and made some good throws. Liked that they let him run the whole offense, not just hand off. On defense, Shane Lee doesn't look like a true freshman. I think we have our MLB for at least three years.

Bad: That was one of the hottest games I've ever been to....and we were in the west side upper deck shade. I can't imagine what the east side was like.

Ugly: I'm officially concerned about our OL and running game. I thought we had a major upgrade in OL coaching, but it isn't looking that way at all. With our size, conditioning and athletic ability, we should have been blowing both Duke and NMSU 5 yards off the line. That didn't come close to happening, and now the SEC schedule awaits. If this doesn't get fixed, there will be no championships of any description.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Good: The passing game and it looks like we finally have a placekicker. Also thought Mac Jones is looking like a capable backup. He's no Tua, but there's no shame in that. I thought he ran the offense well, and made some good throws. Liked that they let him run the whole offense, not just hand off. On defense, Shane Lee doesn't look like a true freshman. I think we have our MLB for at least three years.

Bad: That was one of the hottest games I've ever been to....and we were in the west side upper deck shade. I can't imagine what the east side was like.

Ugly: I'm officially concerned about our OL and running game. I thought we had a major upgrade in OL coaching, but it isn't looking that way at all. With our size, conditioning and athletic ability, we should have been blowing both Duke and NMSU 5 yards off the line. That didn't come close to happening, and now the SEC schedule awaits. If this doesn't get fixed, there will be no championships of any description.
I understand the concern. But, I still think we get a lot of the issues worked out. I'm not saying we morph into Nebraska of the mid 90's type OL. But I just HAVE TO BELIEVE we get a lot better than what we've seen in two games. If not, lord help us all. LOL!

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I understand the concern. But, I still think we get a lot of the issues worked out. I'm not saying we morph into Nebraska of the mid 90's type OL. But I just HAVE TO BELIEVE we get a lot better than what we've seen in two games. If not, lord help us all. LOL!
The talent is there. It just seems like bad reads and almost lack of will is happening too often. When I see offensive linemen watching their man fly into the back field that is an issue. When I see our guards slide blocking but missing the stunting DE coming across their face... that is an issue. Tackles are missing delayed blitzed by LB's and Safeys. We also have RB's that aren't picking up blocking assignments. Initially I will say learning curve, but if it continues then we enter the coaching realm. Flood, Huff, and Sarkisian need to get together and figure this out.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Alabama is supposed to win the 4th Quarter (no matter who is playing or who we are playing), but yesterday it did NOT!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
ugly: blocking at LG and TE....woof.

bad: questions about scheduling at press conferences

good: Jeudy is the juggernaut and K robinson is FAST

Last edited:

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Alabama is supposed to win the 4th Quarter (no matter who is playing or who we are playing), but yesterday it did NOT!
Maybe that was because we were playing everybody including the dishwashers, which we certainly need to do.

On the oline: consider that we have basically brand new offensive line across the board and communication/chemistry is a big part of that. That will eventually work itself out or CNS will plug someone else in.

Game was great. Yes, it was NMSU but our defense is coming together pretty good. Not sure we're showing a lot in regards to any blitz packages and such to get more pressure on qb right now. Why show your hand against Duke and NMSU? We may have to do a little more against USCe next Saturday.

From looking at the first two weeks of football we look to be one of the better teams out there at this point.

Plus, we actually have a fg kicker who is 100% on extra points and kicks the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I have to say that I'm more concerned about the Defensive depth and pass rush.
At Inside LB depth is very concerning however,

Other than Inside LB depth is pretty good this year. Case in point being Baramore coming in and showing he is ready to play more and jordan battle fighting his way onto the field

the defense played very vanilla both games, not showing much right now with blitzes until they have too. not to mention we spent most of the game in Dime Defense. When Lewis stunts inside its almost an automatic effect on the QB. dont think its anything to worry about yet

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
The talent is there. It just seems like bad reads and almost lack of will is happening too often. When I see offensive linemen watching their man fly into the back field that is an issue. When I see our guards slide blocking but missing the stunting DE coming across their face... that is an issue. Tackles are missing delayed blitzed by LB's and Safeys. We also have RB's that aren't picking up blocking assignments. Initially I will say learning curve, but if it continues then we enter the coaching realm. Flood, Huff, and Sarkisian need to get together and figure this out.
I'm just not sure we are blocking yet as a team, and aren't looking at what's right in front of us. I saw a replay of Nagee's touchdown run, and on the play, the LG, (I think Evan Neal), just did not come down fast enough to stop the slanting DT. It was pretty obvious on the replay that the DT was coming but we just did not get there in time to even slow him down. In this case, Nagee was quick enough to get around him, but it could have been a five yard loss. Against SEC defenses, it's probably a tackle for loss. We've got some young guys up there sharing time, and maybe they are still adjusting to the college speed. NM State is not a good team, but their D-Ling was playing fast. We can correct what I saw.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm just not sure we are blocking yet as a team, and aren't looking at what's right in front of us. I saw a replay of Nagee's touchdown run, and on the play, the LG, (I think Evan Neal), just did not come down fast enough to stop the slanting DT. It was pretty obvious on the replay that the DT was coming but we just did not get there in time to even slow him down. In this case, Nagee was quick enough to get around him, but it could have been a five yard loss. Against SEC defenses, it's probably a tackle for loss. We've got some young guys up there sharing time, and maybe they are still adjusting to the college speed. NM State is not a good team, but their D-Ling was playing fast. We can correct what I saw.
Great point about Evan Neal. Folks need to keep in mind how many true freshmen are playing. It’ll take a few games for them for things to click. One of the biggest adjustments for them is game speed. Coach mentions it ALL the time. The level is so much faster than High school and even practicing their not going 1000% with their hair on fire like Saturdays. It’ll come. I’m FAR more confident in this squad correcting their mistakes than last year’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.