How good is LSU?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Frankly, I think they are better and glad to have them in T-Town this year. We will see but opening up the offense is exactly what the doctor ordered at corndog U.
Until proven otherwise. I still think Burrow is a game manager that is currently benefiting from a new offensive scheme that no one has film on just yet. But as time plays out, defenses will adjust and he will be who everybody thought he was in the first place. The guy is tough as nails, not going to lose games for you and I respect the heck out of the type player he is.

However, I'm not ready to put him into the "Elite passer" category as of yet. His first two games have been against Ga Southern and a Texas team with not only a "Big 12 defense". But with true freshman CB's and an idiot DC who refused to get out of man coverage even though his CB's were getting severely beat off the LOS all night long. Burrow made some nice passes during that game, don't get me wrong. But also benefited from a lot of things that had nothing to do with his passing talent that he will not once he gets into SEC defenses and those SEC defenses have more film on their new toy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm going to reply before I read the thread so I won't be "influenced" in my original thinking...so here goes.

Sure, LSU looked like world beaters against UT. I too agree UT is much improved so I guess the level of competence they showed against good competition matters.

But here's my hot take from this game: Can LSU ignore the praise of the press and can they stay focused thru the grind of their SECw schedule?

All it takes is one game for you to get beat by a mid-level team in the SEC, plus they still have to get up for the big games, but not get up too much?

To give credit, they are on the right track, but are they ready to do something they haven't done in years and do they have a HC that can get them there? I kinda doubt it.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Coach O wanted offense so he went and stole one of the Saints offensive gurus. They put in basically an all shotgun offense which is what is considered the best for, and favorite of, Joe Burrow. Joe can be really good when he can get the ball out quickly. I'm not sure on LSU yet. The offense looks 100% better, but it was against the BIG 12. That second half looked like a true BIG 12 conference game. LSU's defense was definitely not what I expected, giving up a ton of yards and points. Thought they would play much better on that side. LSU doesn't have a real game until Florida on October 12. I will reserve judgement until then, but they do look like they will give us a game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I will have to see how they play against the Boogs before I can give an answer.
I definitely think their offense has finally emerged from the Stone Age. But, that was a B12 defense. Let’s see how they perform against the Barn.
From what I've seen of Auburn (watched most of both games), I don't think Auburn has a chance against LSU. Not that LSU is unbeatable, but Auburn's offense can't play catch up to anybody right now.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Let's see how they look against Auburn.

LSU has more players that returned as starters than any other SEC team. I'm positive they are for real. I was impressed with UT's Oline even if they held some. I'm glad they won.
If Texas A&M had Joe Burrow they may have beaten Clemson. Still early.

Bama just needs to get it's running game in gear, and we'll be fine.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think LSU might be better than some of you want them to be. But, I'd also be happy to be wrong on this one.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think LSU might be better than some of you want them to be. But, I'd also be happy to be wrong on this one.
I think people are over-valuing LSU for two reasons:

1. Burrow's completion percentage
2. Texas's pre-season Ranking

Both of which are likely going to fall as the season progresses.....

Texas beat LaTech -- who then struggled vs Grambling.....(winning by only 6). LaTech's QB actually had better passing numbers VS UT.....

So -- I think the jury is still out for Texas.....

I think LSU has a gumbo sized head full of confidence at the moment....

But LSU started off 2-0 last year
And 2-0 the year before that

so.....I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Texas beat LaTech -- who then struggled vs Grambling.....(winning by only 6). LaTech's QB actually had better passing numbers VS UT.....

The difference is their ability to pass the ball this year.

Ironically, it may come at the expense of a decent ground game (sound familiar?) and a dominant, rested defense (sound familiar).

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

I was busy refereeing all day Saturday and didn't get home until around 8:30. Listened to the game on the drive home, but two things stood out to me about Texas's defense...

1.#3 may need to seek counseling for the abuse he received. And
2. 3rd & 17 and UT's DC sends the house....instead of protecting the sticks, he sends the house. It's picked up nicely. Short completion. Missed tackle. Long TD run after catch.

That was when I turned off my TV. Showed me all I needed to see with Texas's defense. I agree with you

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I was busy refereeing all day Saturday and didn't get home until around 8:30. Listened to the game on the drive home, but two things stood out to me about Texas's defense...

2. 3rd & 17 and UT's DC sends the house....instead of protecting the sticks, he sends the house. It's picked up nicely. Short completion. Missed tackle. Long TD run after catch.

That was when I turned off my TV. Showed me all I needed to see with Texas's defense. I agree with you
For those who were able to sit in front of the tv for the entire game. Herbie, dang near the entire game, kept pointing out that Texas was choosing to put their "young corners on an island" with no safety help over the top. If he said once, he said at a hundred times in disbelief throughout the game. Several times the ABC broadcast would show replays of the LSU WR's literally running completely past Texas' corners at the snap. LOL!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
For those who were able to sit in front of the tv for the entire game. Herbie, dang near the entire game, kept pointing out that Texas was choosing to put their "young corners on an island" with no safety help over the top. If he said once, he said at a hundred times in disbelief throughout the game. Several times the ABC broadcast would show replays of the LSU WR's literally running completely past Texas' corners at the snap. LOL!
Yeah I mentioned about Herbie repeatedly saying how young the Texas secondary were throughout the game. I never seen so many wide open WRs in a game than the one we witnessed last Saturday night.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Orlando and Herman play calling are a match made in heaven.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Sure but lets ignore Texas for a second. Burrow looked much more accurate than he was last year(regardless of opponent) and I'm talking about his ball location as well not just completion percentage. Burrow to end the half? It was pretty impressive and not something I would have expected him to pull off last season.

At times last year he'd make a throw here or there but Saturday night he was MUCH more consistent throw to throw IMO.

I'm not saying they're on our or Clemson's level (they aren't) but they are more of a threat than they've been in years IMO. I still think we beat them by 10+.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
In 2018 Texas gave up 300 yards passing 6 times.

In 2018 Texas gave up 300 yards passing and 3 TDs passing 5 times.

Texas isn't a good defensive team.

They were ranked in the 70s nationally in both passer rating and completion percentage and were 110th in yards per game.

Not a good defense. Take LSU's passing game with a grain of salt.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Sure but lets ignore Texas for a second. Burrow looked much more accurate than he was last year(regardless of opponent) and I'm talking about his ball location as well not just completion percentage. Burrow to end the half? It was pretty impressive and not something I would have expected him to pull off last season.

At times last year he'd make a throw here or there but Saturday night he was MUCH more consistent throw to throw IMO.

I'm not saying they're on our or Clemson's level (they aren't) but they are more of a threat than they've been in years IMO. I still think we beat them by 10+.
Accuracy is much higher when the other team doesn't cover your receivers.....just sayin ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Accuracy is much higher when the other team doesn't cover your receivers.....just sayin ;)
Yea but if you watch his throws that wasn't always the case. He threw some really nice balls into some small windows.

And ball placement is a sign of accuracy even when WRs are uncovered. Which is why a lot of people were high on Tua before he ever played a competitive snap.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
LSU has plenty of great players that will be in the NFL one day. Burrow IMO isn’t a first or second round draft pick but he is capable of having a “Stephen Garcia” type game against Alabama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU will most likely be undefeated going into BDS, but until they play and beat Florida and Auburn mostly because of Joe Burrow’s arm , I still think Alabama beats them by 14-21 points. I don’t think Oeaux will be gutsy enough to call those aggressive plays against our DBs with how explosive our offense is.

So at the present I would be more fearful of USCe pulling out a crazy game because they and their coach have nothing to lose at home with a quarterback that only has 1 game of film ( Bama beats them). Point is everytime Oeaux has played Bama (05,06,07,16,17,and 18) he always plays hyper conservative. With a national championship and a trip to Atlanta on the line in Tuscaloosa, you can bet your butt that he isn’t going to make Joe Burrow beat us with 50/50 balls like he did against Texas.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It appears Burrows has improved his ability to throw the ball and he looks pretty confident in the system they are running.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I didn't like what he was doing at the end of the game when he was sarcastically waving up into the stands at the Texas fans. If I'm a coach and caught my team leader and my QB doing that I would have ripped him a new one.

He had just had the best performance of his life and instead of taking pride in that and celebrating with his teammates, he's gesturing to the opponent's crowd like an immature 6th grader. It seriously makes me question where his head is.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
LSU will most likely be undefeated going into BDS, but until they play Florida and Auburn because of Joe Burrow’s arm , I still think Alabama beats them by 14-21 points. I don’t think Oeaux will be gutsy enough to call those aggressive plays against our DBs with how explosive our offense is.

So at the present I would be more fearful of USCe pulling out a crazy game because they and their coach have nothing to lose at home with a quarterback that only has 1 game of film ( Bama beats them). Point is everytime Oeaux has played Bama (05,06,07,16,17,and 18) he always plays hyper conservative. With a national championship and a trip to Atlanta on the line in Tuscaloosa, you can bet your butt that he isn’t going to make Joe Burrow beat us with 50/50 balls like he did against Texas.
You may be correct about Coach O, but if they come to BDS unbeaten and they try to beat us with a conservative approach as opposed to sticking with their new offensive philosophy, it would be the dumbest move of his career.

If I'm him I'd stick to my guns and dance with what brought me and if Tua outguns him (and I think we'd win in a shootout with LSU at home) at least he could leave the field knowing he had tried something new and what had been working.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.