Time for Bama to excise some demons from the past (2010 game)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The things I remember is that most remembers it the wrong way, and that I was watching it with with a bunch of donkey gamecock fans overseas.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It’s one of those old games I have on DVD (recorded then) that I’ve never watched. Memory on this one is hazy except we didn’t play very well.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
That day Garcia could have taken the snap, turned around with his back to the rush and, with his left hand, flipped the ball over his right shoulder and Alshon Jeffries would have been there to catch it. That was the type of day it was for USCe.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I never rewatch losses, but I made an exception for this game earlier in the summer. SEC Network had a rewind special about the game and I was desperate for football.

I had a lot misperceptions about that game and I’d blocked a lot from my memory. Mainly I remembered us getting dominated, but that really wasn’t the case. We were within one score most of the 2nd half, only sloppy play kept us out of it. It wasn’t until midway through the 4th when SC scored a late TD sealing the game.

I had two big takeaways after rewatching it:

1. How far we’ve come with QB recruiting:
Nothing but love for GMac, but he was very physically limited compared to the QB’s we’ve had since. Terrible OL play caused constant pressure, but GMac couldn’t get anything done against a dialed in defense. I’d forgotten how well he could run the system when properly executed, but he just couldn’t make something out of nothing like we’ve seen consistently from Tua, Hurts, or even Coker. While ultimately I knew that, I didn’t realize how big of a gap there was until watching it again.

2. That 2010 team wasted a lot of talent with major attitude problems:
That game reminded me how little urgency we had all season. Always seemed like the team felt like they could turn it on at any time with minimum effort and overwhelm the opponent with talent. I remembered that vividly from the Auburn game, but I’d always attributed it to having already lost 2 games. In my mind the team gave up once they realized they were out of the championship picture. When in fact the same problems from the Auburn game where there all season, but SC was just the first team talented enough to expose the attitude issues. We’ve seen that a few times since then, unfortunately there was just a lot more parity in talent in the conference at that time, so it cost us more.

Eye opening game, rewatching it made me even more ready to watch a total beatdown this weekend. You can tell Saban hasn’t forgotten, so I fully expect the team to come in even more primed than usual for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The 2010 season is the one season since my Freshman year at Alabama that I didn't watch a single game until the bowl game. I was in India for the entire season with no access to a TV so I followed along whenever I had access to the internet. So, I don't remember this game but I do remember my shock at hearing of our loss.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I never rewatch losses, but I made an exception for this game earlier in the summer. SEC Network had a rewind special about the game and I was desperate for football.

I had a lot misperceptions about that game and I’d blocked a lot from my memory. Mainly I remembered us getting dominated, but that really wasn’t the case. We were within one score most of the 2nd half, only sloppy play kept us out of it. It wasn’t until midway through the 4th when SC scored a late TD sealing the game.

I had two big takeaways after rewatching it:

1. How far we’ve come with QB recruiting:
Nothing but love for GMac, but he was very physically limited compared to the QB’s we’ve had since. Terrible OL play caused constant pressure, but GMac couldn’t get anything done against a dialed in defense. I’d forgotten how well he could run the system when properly executed, but he just couldn’t make something out of nothing like we’ve seen consistently from Tua, Hurts, or even Coker. While ultimately I knew that, I didn’t realize how big of a gap there was until watching it again.

2. That 2010 team wasted a lot of talent with major attitude problems:
That game reminded me how little urgency we had all season. Always seemed like the team felt like they could turn it on at any time with minimum effort and overwhelm the opponent with talent. I remembered that vividly from the Auburn game, but I’d always attributed it to having already lost 2 games. In my mind the team gave up once they realized they were out of the championship picture. When in fact the same problems from the Auburn game where there all season, but SC was just the first team talented enough to expose the attitude issues. We’ve seen that a few times since then, unfortunately there was just a lot more parity in talent in the conference at that time, so it cost us more.

Eye opening game, rewatching it made me even more ready to watch a total beatdown this weekend. You can tell Saban hasn’t forgotten, so I fully expect the team to come in even more primed than usual for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem was more severe going into that South Carolina game because we had just gotten finished dismantling Florida in Tuscaloosa. At that time, we all thought Florida was really good, but the truth was they were mediocre in that first season after Tebow. They came in to Tuscaloosa, and truth be told, we played a very uninspired game especially on offense. Yet we ended up dominating because Florida was so mediocre. So the attitude issues were amplified going into Columbia. I think that team thought they were invincible. And... when you think about it... if it weren't for all the injuries they may well have beaten LSU and Auburn. Who knows what happens if that team finishes 11-1. They would have gotten a rematch with South Carolina in Atlanta, and probably drill them into the ground like Auburn did. Then they are playing Oregon in the NC game and probably kill them like they did Michigan State.

So close, yet so far.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm SHOCKED that you actually need to record anything.
It was a long-time hobby. I stopped after the 2013 Iron Bowl, mostly because everything is pretty much on You Tube now.

I was part of a large group that bought some coach’s films of old Tide games against Ga Tech from the 50s (and other games as well) and donated the collection to the Bryant Museum in 2000.

I have every World Series game played between game 6 of 1978 and game 3 of 1999.

I began to notice, though, that it was meaningless to record most UA games because they were over early and I never watched them again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
???
Didn't know you could purposely "forget"... :rolleye2:
I usually cannot. And I do know we played better than a lot recall. However, let’s just say GMac was no Tua - and that was a different era at UA (combined with the scheduling fiasco).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I usually cannot. And I do know we played better than a lot recall. However, let’s just say GMac was no Tua - and that was a different era at UA (combined with the scheduling fiasco).
Will your memory begin to deteriorate over time, or will you have perfect recall for life?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The biggest myth of the game is that Stephen Garcia beat us that day. Sure he had 3 TDs, and just a few incompletetions, but he had nearly the exact number of yards passing that he did the year before against us.

Here are the stats, and look for the few of them that really stand out...

Matchup
1st Downs2120
3rd down efficiency5-136-11
4th down efficiency2-32-2
Total Yards351311
Passing356206
Comp-Att27-3517-20
Yards per pass9.010.1
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing36110
Rushing Attempts2937
Yards per rush1.23.0
Penalties5-314-34
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost10
Interceptions thrown01
Possession19:4716:53

Don't see them maybe these:

Alabama Rushing
CARYDSAVGTDLONG
Mark Ingram II11413.7013
Trent Richardson6233.808
Greg McElroy12-28-2.306
TEAM29361.2013

South Carolina Rushing
CARYDSAVGTDLONG
Marcus Lattimore23934.0222
Brian Maddox5285.6017
Stephen Garcia7111.6013
Ace Sanders1-7-7.000
TEAM371103.0222

Alabama 1 sack.... USCe 7 is also a missed stat.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Will your memory begin to deteriorate over time, or will you have perfect recall for life?
The oldest guy with it is late 60s and still got it.

However - and I’m serious - I’ve begun (at 49) to forget some very basic things, and it does concern me a bit.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The biggest myth of the game is that Stephen Garcia beat us that day. Sure he had 3 TDs, and just a few incompletetions, but he had nearly the exact number of yards passing that he did the year before against us.

Here are the stats, and look for the few of them that really stand out...

Matchup
1st Downs2120
3rd down efficiency5-136-11
4th down efficiency2-32-2
Total Yards351311
Passing356206
Comp-Att27-3517-20
Yards per pass9.010.1
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing36110
Rushing Attempts2937
Yards per rush1.23.0
Penalties5-314-34
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost10
Interceptions thrown01
Possession19:4716:53

That possession time is nowhere close to right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.