Link: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This is the most damning thing I have read about a coach at Alabama since the football fiascos after Coach Stallings left (and prior to Mike Shula whose character was never in question).

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Having spoken to Byrne about many of the issues raised in this letter, he defended Goff on many of them.

All the travel has been arranged before Goofball was hired. That is scheduled/budget 12 months out. The Campbell issues were 100% an administrative error and had nothing to do with Goofball. He also debunked the per-diem as Goof has to provide food OR give $$$. He does box meals.

That said, the treatment of players is the biggest isssue. Unfortunately, last I have heard, a kid struck by Goff a la Bobby Knight, and a kid who had an object thrown at his head refuse to speak up. Afraid of losing $$$ and their spot on the team. I had hoped they would talk but, they'd rather just be quiet....

i know several others who have talked to Byrne and I think he is a stand up guy who wants baseball to succeed. I just think short of the players treatment coming out, Goff stays. I just don't see the info getting out unless those involved speak up. I'm not blaming the kids. Imagine if you are a junior so, if you speak up AND Goff stays your career is over. Can't go to another school without sitting out. Chances are no school wants you b/c you are a snitch!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Sounds to me like Greg Byrne is making excuses so he does not have to make a big decision just yet. And that is disappointing.
Having spoken to Byrne about many of the issues raised in this letter, he defended Goff on many of them.

All the travel has been arranged before Goofball was hired. That is scheduled/budget 12 months out. The Campbell issues were 100% an administrative error and had nothing to do with Goofball. He also debunked the per-diem as Goof has to provide food OR give $$$. He does box meals.

That said, the treatment of players is the biggest isssue. Unfortunately, last I have heard, a kid struck by Goff a la Bobby Knight, and a kid who had an object thrown at his head refuse to speak up. Afraid of losing $$$ and their spot on the team. I had hoped they would talk but, they'd rather just be quiet....

i know several others who have talked to Byrne and I think he is a stand up guy who wants baseball to succeed. I just think short of the players treatment coming out, Goff stays. I just don't see the info getting out unless those involved speak up. I'm not blaming the kids. Imagine if you are a junior so, if you speak up AND Goff stays your career is over. Can't go to another school without sitting out. Chances are no school wants you b/c you are a snitch!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If Chandler Taylor has been cut I think it needs to be made public as to the reason why, and right now I would sure as hell rather have Taylor associated with the team than I would Goff.

rtr

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
I know it hasn't been good since Goff got here. If stuff in this editorial is true, he has got to go. I have heard from more than 1 person he is afraid to fly. That being said South Carolina is a school the baseball team has flown to in the past. Arkansas, Texas A&M and Florida also. Lucky for the kids, those schools played at the JOE this year. I for one have been a Bama baseball fan for a long time. The way it is now, if I had a kid good enough to play in the SEC, I would encourage him to go somewhere else.

Goff did not go to the alumni luncheon. Are you kidding me?? Does he think he is that good that he does not need any help from guys that played here. Former players can be a huge help in the recruiting process. Coach Avery Johnson (basketball) was there. Maybe he found a point guard or 2......Do the right thing Greg Byrne

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'm hearing Goff told Chandler Taylor, our leading HR hitter, he wasn't welcomed back next year.

On top of that, he ruined three kids arms. This dude is special...in the wrong way unfortunately.
He is welcome back, just not on scholarship. Jake and Gene are the same way. (Playing with fire on Gene since one never knows how the injury will heal.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because Goff has a large class of recruits coming in (juco and hs) that he's promised money too. I guess to get there, he has to "encourage" current players to leave.
For all the heck Saban takes for allegedly off signing, Goff is doing exactly that. Of course, it goes unnoticed since baseball isn't the money maker football is.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
For all the heck Saban takes for allegedly off signing, Goff is doing exactly that. Of course, it goes unnoticed since baseball isn't the money maker football is.
It doesn't help that Goff just experienced the worst W-L season in a while, and he's got a bit of an "abrasive" coaching style, and Gaspard typically didn't change the players scholarships from year-to-year, AND he's cut/decreases the schollies of quite a few key personnel that you'd think would make the team better next year.

All-in-all very baffling choices of players he chooses to "get rid of" so-to-speak.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, but a sophomore, who is your leading home run hitter? You don't run him off.
Key is sophomore. Goff knows he can't be drafted AND he can't go juco. Therefore, he knows if he takes his $$$ he has 2 choices: 1. Sit a year and transfer or 2. play not on scholarship. Chances are a player won't want to sit a year AND pay his own way.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
As I believed it did! I was told earlier, Goff will be out with cause by June 1. I was told of the article coming 2 days ago by the same person. (I trust them 100%)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.