Players leaving early for the draft

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If I ran WVU football, Grier's picture would appear nowhere going forward. He's the QB and he's jumping ship. Wow. And Holgorsen seems okay with it.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Coaches are for hire, like the old west hired gun. Players are for hire, give them a starting job and they are yours. So why do I care if someone who is leaving a year early for the NFL skips his bowl game? Actually I don't care. That is what backups are for. If you are leaving early for the NFL and missing 12 games what does the bowl game matter? Really.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
ESPN article on Loss of Value Insurance. From last year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20592832/how-college-football-players-get-insurance

According to industry professionals, the general rule is that a top-10 pick will qualify for $10 million of permanent total disability with a $5 million loss-of-value rider. The 10 to 20 picks would be looking at $5 to $7.5 million of PTD and $2 to $3 million in loss of value. Picks in the 20 to 30 pick range would be around $5 million total disability.

There are NCAA rules that allow athletics department officials to help secure policies and there are also funds available at each university that can be used to pay for the insurance policies if the programs want to allocate money for that purpose.

If a player gets injured with LOV insurance, they could still lose a bunch of money.

NCAA Insurance:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

Student-Athlete Insurance Programs

Catastrophic Insurance Program

The NCAA sponsors a Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program which covers the student-athlete who is catastrophically injured while participating in a covered intercollegiate athletic activity. The policy has a $90,000 deductible and provides benefits in excess of any other valid and collectible insurance.

Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program

In October 1990, a disability insurance program was initiated for exceptional student-athletes at National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) institutions in the sports of football and men’s basketball. In April 1991, the program was expanded to include exceptional student- athletes in the sport of baseball. In June 1993, exceptional student-athletes in men’s ice hockey became eligible for the program. Coverage became available for exceptional student-athletes in the sport of women’s basketball in August 1998.
The program enables qualifying student-athletes, as approved by the program administrator, to purchase a disability insurance contract with pre-approved financing, if necessary. This program will provide the student-athlete with the opportunity to protect against future loss of earnings as a professional athlete due to a disabling injury or sickness that may occur during the collegiate career.
Eligible student-athletes
Student-athletes with remaining athletics eligibility at NCAA institutions in the sports of intercollegiate football, men’s or women’s basketball, baseball, or men’s ice hockey, who have demonstrated they have professional potential to be selected in the first two rounds of the upcoming National Football League or National Hockey League draft or the first round of the upcoming draft of the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball or Women’s National Basketball Association, are eligible for this program.
Application process
Only inquiries received directly from student-athletes, parents or legal guardians of student-athletes, or institutional representatives will be processed by the administrator under this program.
To obtain a quote, an Application Form must be completed in full and returned to the administrator. If approved, a premium quote will be prepared and returned, along with financing information and additional health-related questionnaire forms. In order to accept a quote and for coverage to become effective: (1) the application and health forms must be fully completed accurately and truthfully and returned to the administrator, and (2) the promissory note must be signed and returned to the bank. For further information, please contact the program administrator, Tokio Marine HCC – Specialty Group, 401 Edgewater Place, Suite 400, Wakefield, Massachusetts 01880; telephone: 800/927-6306; fax: 781/994-6001.
Premium financing
Student-athletes approved for this program are automatically eligible for a loan, if necessary, through U.S. Bank, N.A., Sports Division, in Nashville, TN. The interest rate is very competitive and a co-signer is not required. The student-athlete is obligated to repay the loan in full when any of the following occurs: (1) the student-athlete signs a professional contract, (2) the disability benefits becomes available due to a covered injury or sickness or (3) the coverage is no longer in effect and the loan note matures.

Last edited:

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
If I ran WVU football, Grier's picture would appear nowhere going forward. He's the QB and he's jumping ship. Wow. And Holgorsen seems okay with it.
I would keep Grier's and the rest of their pictures up in a prominent place explaining how they abandoned their Teammates, Coaches, University, and Financial Supporters(boosters, fans, taxpayers, etc.).

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No, devalued as in, no one cares except for the people making $$$ on the games (and us desperate fans wishing the season would last forever).
We’ll, count me out of that last group. I’m not THAT desperate.
As for the former, if that revenue stream starts to diminish, they may not care much either. And if this trend continues, it just might.
I don’t care to see WG’s backup play in their last game of the CFB season with literally nothing on the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do these rookie contracts cover the five years? So, in essence, their “yearly” salary would be that figure divided by 5? Subtracting any signing bonus first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fifth year is a team option IIRC.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Do these rookie contracts cover the five years? So, in essence, their “yearly” salary would be that figure divided by 5? Subtracting any signing bonus first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure. Some of the contracts seem to be for 4 years. Divide the total by 4 would be my guess.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I know people hate to hear this but this is a result of not paying players. I’m not about to get into what I think about the paying players issue but with the way players are viewing sports as a business now, this is a result.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know people hate to hear this but this is a result of not paying players. I’m not about to get into what I think about the paying players issue but with the way players are viewing sports as a business now, this is a result.
The entire college football culture shift probably plays a part. When players and coaches move around as much as they do today, it is no wonder that the sense of "family" has been eroded. Grier, for example, is a free agent. He never wanted to play for WVU - he just landed there. Gary, at UM, was an NFL player waiting for his turn. He went to UM to prepare for the NFL, not to become a Wolverine.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not sure. Some of the contracts seem to be for 4 years. Divide the total by 4 would be my guess.
That makes sense. Last year they can either renegotiate a longer term deal or take the same salary for year five and then become free agent.
I say it makes sense - not to me. I should have said I understand.
But that wouldn’t be accurate either; maybe “I get it”. [emoji849][emoji44][emoji850]
Thanks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good thing we have the new redshirt rule. Some guys might be playing in game three or four because of the ones leaving early.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.