DirecTV could drop ESPN Networks & ABC tonight

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We ditched Satellite and just use Sling TV and the sports package.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My wife and I recently switched to Youtube TV and we love it. I have not been a fan of DTV for a couple of years now, the customer service was awful when we had it
We switched to YouTube TV a couple weeks ago as well and we love it too. It has more than enough to watch + we have an antenna for all the Huntsville stations. YouTube TV has all the Network sport channels plus BTN and SEC. It works great and is reasonably priced, IMO.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I like YouTube TV. I subscribe at the beginning of college football season and at the end of it, I unsubscribe. It is a lot more stable than it has been. So far so good but it is getting more and more expensive each year. I am paying close to $50/month for it right now.
We upgraded to the new HULU box and it does not lag like the old model. 49.99 pre month compared to 100.00 for the cable/satellite. A bargain.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have direct TV because ATT forced a switch from U-verse to clear bandwidth for faster internet service. If you are paying a high price for DTV, negotiate a better deal. With all the cord cutters, you the consumer are in a favorable position. I hate it because sometimes I spend hours on the phone , but I have pretty much gotten the packages I want for a good price. My deals have always come in for around $100 for all the channels and their fastest Internet service, plus 4 extra boxes. My current contract is $104.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We upgraded to the new HULU box and it does not lag like the old model. 49.99 pre month compared to 100.00 for the cable/satellite. A bargain.
We dropped DirecTV about two weeks ago. Our contract ended with them last February as did the two year promotional price. When that happened, it went from about $70 a month to almost $100. After some “verbal sparring” they rolled it back to the original price for another year. By then I was done. Recurring problems with reception that only after 2 + years they “figured out” and terrible customer service.

The only additional cost for me was a Fire Stick for the Sharp TV in the living room. I can get all the local channels except the local ABC affiliate, which is fine. I only watch sports on
ABC and can that through the ESPN app.

So far it’s fine and for 50 bucks I can’t complain too much.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
If they do drop ESPN and I’m locked in until November, could I drop them early for breach of contract? I signed with the expectation of ESPN; therefore, the are not fulfilling the contract I signed.

Thoughts? I would love to drop them and pick up Hulu Live or Youtube TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt the language in your contract will classify as a "breach" of contract. Your best options is to go to HULU or other services if you have the option.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Wow, these decisions by DirecTV will be their undoing. Sports channels during football season....insanity on their part. People will get the games elsewhere and never go back. Arrogance.
It is not DirecTv as we once knew them; it is ATT playing hard ball with Disney. ATT is focusing on the future with "all in" for the streaming market. You will soon not see any mention of DirecTv in any of their (ATT) websites, advertising and such.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I have direct TV because ATT forced a switch from U-verse to clear bandwidth for faster internet service. If you are paying a high price for DTV, negotiate a better deal. With all the cord cutters, you the consumer are in a favorable position. I hate it because sometimes I spend hours on the phone , but I have pretty much gotten the packages I want for a good price. My deals have always come in for around $100 for all the channels and their fastest Internet service, plus 4 extra boxes. My current contract is $104.
Good luck. Soon the satellites will fall from the sky! ATT does not care about the future of DTV satellite service. Just MHI.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Wasn’t ATT in a dispute with CBS and Nexstar like a month ago, risking a loss of CBS programming? Did they get that solved? In any case, these disputes happen all the time but I would love any loss to directtv. What a scam considering the other options. Hulu works best for our family; and you can have access to the EAPN app. Very nice.
Yes. The Nexstar dispute magically resolved opening week of football season. Getting ready to move from dtv to youtube tv. What i have now costs way too much.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Checkout my post here on how I got a 12mo deal on DTV for LESS than what YouTube.TV would be.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Re: DirecTV could drop ESPN Networks & ABC tonight

I don't really understand the fascination with cord-cutting and constant provider switching to try to save money. All you're doing is adding headache while sacrificing quality and you rarely seem to actually save much money overall - especially factoring in what you're sacrificing.

I have Comcast everything, basically. ~500Mb (actual effective speed) internet, 260+ channels including premium movie channels, monitored home security, and two smart phones with unlimited data. I also have both Netflix and Hulu.

My parents switched to ATT a few years ago to save money and have since been switched to DTV for their TV service. They have a stripped-down TV package and ~50Mb internet. They also have two smartphones with unlimited data, monitored home security, and Netflix.

The money they're saving each month for missing out on 2/3 of the TV choices and having only 10% of the internet speed I have?
Just over $50.

My aunt and uncle cut the cord by switching to their cell provider for phone and internet, including a dedicated data (cell router) line for their house. They intended to also use it for their RV but that's been more trouble than it was worth so they just use their phones while traveling. They have Netflix and Hulu with live TV. They're having to pay a little extra for their home security monitoring since they dropped their landline.

The money they're saving each month for all they're sacrificing?
Less than $50.

We all live in the same area and they could have the same packages I have.

The extras I have that they're sacrificing to "save money" I'd value at around $100 a month.

It doesn't seem worth it, to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't know that I'm saving much money anymore, because I've upgraded my Internet to AT&T fiber, which has been fantastic so far. I've got Ubiquiti network gear driving it now, which has allowed me to actually realize the bandwidth increase and am now seeing no hiccups whatsoever in the live sports on Hulu TV. So it's about what I was paying a couple of years ago for Charter TV and Internet bundled, but the speed is substantially better (approx 55 mbps compared to well over 300 mbps over wifi now). Plus I just like how the app is packaged. I don't want over 200 channels. Frankly I only want sports and the Disney/Nickolodean for the kids.

So there are pluses and minuses either way. I figure these disputes are coming for the Internet apps in the future though. It's part of the nature of the beast.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I don't know that I'm saving much money anymore, because I've upgraded my Internet to AT&T fiber, which has been fantastic so far. I've got Ubiquiti network gear driving it now, which has allowed me to actually realize the bandwidth increase and am now seeing no hiccups whatsoever in the live sports on Hulu TV. So it's about what I was paying a couple of years ago for Charter TV and Internet bundled, but the speed is substantially better (approx 55 mbps compared to well over 300 mbps over wifi now). Plus I just like how the app is packaged. I don't want over 200 channels. Frankly I only want sports and the Disney/Nickolodean for the kids.

So there are pluses and minuses either way. I figure these disputes are coming for the Internet apps in the future though. It's part of the nature of the beast.
Yup. As soon as a certain subscriber threshold is reached - which varies by service - the streaming providers will have to renegotiate their carriage fees, which means the cost is just going to go up. From what I've heard, at least one of the streaming providers is dangerously close.

DeaconBlues

1st Team
Oct 4, 2005
Anchorage, AK

I don't really understand the fascination with cord-cutting and constant provider switching to try to save money. All you're doing is adding headache while sacrificing quality and you rarely seem to actually save much money overall - especially factoring in what you're sacrificing.
To save money. Duh.
Not paying for things I don't want or need.
Picking up locals over the air and streaming only what I do want.
Much cheaper unlimited DSL allows streaming and also internet without missing a beat.
It is quite worth it to me to make my own choices.
Less headaches than from being gouged by a greedy cable company.
No sacrifices, only savings and simplicity here!

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

To save money. Duh.
Not paying for things I don't want or need.
Picking up locals over the air and streaming only what I do want.
My cheaper unlimited DSL allows streaming and also internet without missing a beat.
It is quite worth it to me to make my own choices.
Less headaches than from being gouged by a greedy cable company.
I'm sure your 4K streaming looks great on DSL.
[emoji3]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.