JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
USC recap: Explosive offense makes up for a defensive off-day
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 14th, 2019 07:50 PM

South Carolina might not be one of the elite teams in the SEC in 2019, but there is one truism about almost all SEC programs: If you want to know exactly where you stand, give an SEC program a week or two to prepare for you. At the end of the day, the Alabama […]

Read More Here

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write up .

I wasn’t impressed with the refs, our penalties, and our defense most of the game.

I sure hope the defense and running game is much improved by Texas AM game.

Tua must stay injury free if Bama is to make it to the SEC Championship.

I always enjoy your write ups. Thanks! RTR !

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess for getting this done so soon after the game. I certainly agree with your analysis. The poor tackling across the board is especially worrisome.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I hate games that Gary Danielson announces. Hes always bad, and he brays on and on...
Our Defense took a step backwards. Suddenly tackling fundamentals were missing.

Tua and our WR were outstanding.
Harris had the run that will be on highlight reels. Great run.
Our OL didn't always make holes for our RB.
We need a consistent performance from our kickers.
The 13 yard punt was terrible. Missing a FG and an extra point was bad too.

WHAT GAME WERE THE REFS TRYING TO CALL. THEY WERE TERRIBLE...

Last edited:

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Speaking of Najee’s resemblance to Linnie Patrick, I remember how good LP was in Jasper’s High School, and I recall that he didn’t see the field that much in college (I think Bryant discipline was the reason), until he had that incredibly great game late in his college career against Auburn.....but does anyone recall why didn’t he ever make it to the NFL or break out in the NFL?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that this seems impossible, but Tua is a much better QB now than he was last year. He is actually reading defenses both before and after the snap. He is making adjustments to blocking protections. He is checking down when appropriate, but going deep when it is there. He is going all the way through his progressions.

USC and Duke both switched their coverages post-snap from zone to man or man to zone, or mixing the two, and Tua picked it up - something that he failed at miserably against Clemson. It is a shame that he was not taught to do this last year.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Thanks for the nice write up Jess! There's definitely work to be done. We should be OK against the Miss'ippi teams, and will have 2 weeks to prepare for TAMU.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I know that this seems impossible, but Tua is a much better QB now than he was last year. He is actually reading defenses both before and after the snap. He is making adjustments to blocking protections. He is checking down when appropriate, but going deep when it is there. He is going all the way through his progressions.

USC and Duke both switched their coverages post-snap from zone to man or man to zone, or mixing the two, and Tua picked it up - something that he failed at miserably against Clemson. It is a shame that he was not taught to do this last year.
i could only watch the first half yesterday. did he run at all yesterday? if he is able to keep the better defenses on their heels while in the pocket, i would think that is going to provide some opportunity for huge plays with him running. he is deadly with those short to mid distance throws.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i could only watch the first half yesterday. did he run at all yesterday? if he is able to keep the better defenses on their heels while in the pocket, i would think that is going to provide some opportunity for huge plays with him running. he is deadly with those short to mid distance throws.
He did not run once. He only left the pocket a few times. Remarkable progress.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I hate games that Gary Danielson announces. Hes always bad, and he brays on and on...
Our Defense took a step backwards. Suddenly tackling fundamentals were missing.

Tua and our WR were outstanding.
Harris had the run that will be on highlight reels. Great run.
Our OL didn't always make holes for our RB.
We need a consistent performance from our kickers.
The 13 yard punt was terrible. Missing a FG and an extra point was bad too.

WHAT GAME WERE THE REFS TRYING TO CALL. THEY WERE TERRIBLE...
I don't like Gary Danielson either. I watched much of the South Carolina game on mute because I got sick of hearing his voice. Danielson makes the game all about himself. He seems to think he knows better than all of the coaches and gets frustrated when they don't do what he thinks they should. He talks endlessly about what rules changes he thinks the NCAA should make. He has an enormous ego and believes the world revolves around himself.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the write-up. I think the refs missed a call on TE Tennison (I think). He never went out of bound and his score should have counted and they didn't review it?? I though Lewis was very quiet yesterday but I didn't watch close enough to figure out why. Our D has work to do but they are 100% better than OUs last year. I think they will continue to improve as the season goes on..

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Barmore got hosed.
I agree. I've seen Tua hit much harder by Clemson, et al and there were NO FLAGS. What was Barmore supposed to do, stop on a dime, while going 20 MPH at his height and weight? That was NOT targeting!

The Official making that call should be the one sitting for a half or for the rest of his life.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Thanks Jess for the write-up. I especially appreciate your take on the targeting call. I watched the replay as everyone did and did not feel he was targeting. What was especially puzzling was the comentators on TV that agreed that while it did not meet the 3 criteria of targeting however was, in-fact, targeting.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
1. Yes. L. Patrick had a number of issues and stayed in the dog house. He never made a spalsh past college for the same reasons. Enormously talented individual. Saw him live in high school. He was a man playing against boys.

2. Huberts crew is bad and has been for a long time. How they get premiere games is beyond me.

3. Danielson is a waste. Better to synch up Eli and put up with the glitches.

4. At least tackling is subject to being fixed by practice. McKinney tackled very well. Lewis was mostly AWOL. He needs a couple of more moves, imho. Just the speed rush will beat inferior talent. Good players who prepare for that as your only technique will mostly keep you in check. I expect to see him develop that over the season. A tackle cheating over for the quick outside burst is vulnerable to inside counter moves, spins, even bullrushes.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Speaking of Najee’s resemblance to Linnie Patrick, I remember how good LP was in Jasper’s High School, and I recall that he didn’t see the field that much in college (I think Bryant discipline was the reason), until he had that incredibly great game late in his college career against Auburn.....but does anyone recall why didn’t he ever make it to the NFL or break out in the NFL?
Here's a link to a thread from 12(?!) years ago that sheds some light on Linnie's life after leaving Bama. There's also a reference link to his famous run in the '81 Iron Bowl.

CLICK

(BTW, I know 2 of the posters on that thread are deceased, Bayoutider and TommyMac. But where have so many of the others gone?)

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
FitToBeTide,
Thanks for finding this 12 year old thread....great read, and really nice to see names that I recall when first joining. Memory Lane!

PS-how did you find this thread?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.