Auburn will be (IS) a first class wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I was reading one aggie board last Saturday night after the game, and I was really scratching my head at the outpouring of sympathy for Chizik. They were calling him a "hero" and how his life and coaching career are a very touching "underdog story" and how he came from nothing and turned himself into "one of the all time greats". I was laughing until I read that part. How can anybody in their right mind call him a hero or one of the all time greats? He is now 36-36 as a head coach. And that is even with the undefeated season of 2010. What has made him such a hero? The fact that he played it cool while Dye and company were arranging for the purchase of $cam? A lot of Texas A&M fans sure think a lot of him. I don't know why. He is, after all, a former Texas defensive coordinator. Some of them even said that things were going to get better for him, he just needed more time because the team was young. So, I guess they are buying that excuse as well. Percentage wise, both Mike Dubose AND Mike Shula had better records at Bama than this yo yo has over his entire coaching career. And both of them only had four years each at the helm. If that doesn't tell the story, I don't know what does.
(pssst...)
They know he stinks also...they just want him to keep his job at Auburn. Gives them a guaranteed win every year...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Here's a new angle. I had lunch today with some of the same folks who tipped me off on the Malzahn to Arkansas State deal last year.

1. They think Rich Rod emerges as a leading candidate if Auburn fires Frank.

2. Jacobs may save his job by firing the only football coach he's ever hired.

3. If Jacobs goes, Chizik stays and gets a chance to show his new boss he can turn it around.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Here's a new angle. I had lunch today with some of the same folks who tipped me off on the Malzahn to Arkansas State deal last year.

3. If Jacobs goes, Chizik stays and gets a chance to show his new boss he can turn it around.
Rita's going to love it in Auburn.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta

Is this for real? Rich Rod? Really?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The RR twist has a strange internal logic. The present players were recruited to run a spread and they've only spent one year trying unsuccessfully to convert themselves into a pro set team. However, all I've heard indicates Petrino as the first choice. Counter that, friends are really close to our BOT indicate there's entrenched resistance to BP among the AU power structure...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
The RR twist has a strange internal logic. The present players were recruited to run a spread and they've only spent one year trying unsuccessfully to convert themselves into a pro set team. However, all I've heard indicates Petrino as the first choice. Counter that, friends are really close to our BOT indicate there's entrenched resistance to BP among the AU power structure...
Dude... Were you at lunch with us today, or do you have spies that I don't know about???

Wait, don't answer that. :biggrin2:

That is exactly the same story line I got today. Some want Petrino but there's enough "moral terpitude" types to prevent it from happening. And the PTB down there think RichRod could win (almost) right away with the talent base that they have on the roster.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Dude... Were you at lunch with us today, or do you have spies that I don't know about???

Wait, don't answer that. :biggrin2:

That is exactly the same story line I got today. Some want Petrino but there's enough "moral terpitude" types to prevent it from happening. And the PTB down there think RichRod could win (almost) right away with the talent base that they have on the roster.
The friend who told me that there was enough weight against Petrino on their BOT is someone I really pay attention to when he says something. He's well plugged into both our power structure and AU's. Sometimes, there's more than just big bucks involved, even in an institution desperate enough to win to do almost anything...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
FWIW, I'd love to see Auburn hire Petrino (though not that I think that will happen) if only because it would show their whole creed nonsense is about as valuable as twice-used used toilet paper (which it is regardless of who they hire, but I digress).

OTOH, Petrino could possibly be a legitimate foe at Auburn. He might not last that long for a variety of reasons, but he would recruit better there than he did at Arkansas (maybe not by a lot, by at least by some), and in terms of raw coaching ability he could run marathons around Chizik. There isn't a better coach in the country than Saban, and I would take him head-to-head over anyone without any further consideration, but you're kidding yourselves if you don't believe Auburn is a lot stronger program with Petrino at the helm than they are now.

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
:pDT_popc1: on TideFans.com

So will the barn hire RR and then roll the trees in celebration because he's "the one that got away" from BAMA?

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
FWIW, I'd love to see Auburn hire Petrino (though not that I think that will happen) if only because it would show their whole creed nonsense is about as valuable as twice-used used toilet paper (which it is regardless of who they hire, but I digress).

OTOH, Petrino could possibly be a legitimate foe at Auburn. He might not last that long for a variety of reasons, but he would recruit better there than he did at Arkansas (maybe not by a lot, by at least by some), and in terms of raw coaching ability he could run marathons around Chizik. There isn't a better coach in the country than Saban, and I would take him head-to-head over anyone without any further consideration, but you're kidding yourselves if you don't believe Auburn is a lot stronger program with Petrino at the helm than they are now.
They'd be a lot stronger program with the airport heckler's grandmother at the helm than they are now.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
C'mon barney, do it! Hire Petrino! Chizik had the advantage of a whole bunch of Tub's defensive players in his first 2 years. Petrino will inherit a terrible defense and has not shown that he can or will improve it. His defenses actually got worse every year from '09 - '11 and this year would have been his worst yet if he was still there. There's no doubt AU would be stronger with CBP than they are now, but he would be no threat to us. Bring him on down!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Smashmouth Radio (Scarbinsky's show) tweeted this earlier:
Let them hire Petrino, they deserve each other. He is a pretty good offensive mind but they will play no D. He is lazy and will get killed in recruiting. CNS has a pretty good record against him too LOL

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something I just realized about that tweet. It says "AU personnel." Does that mean AD/boosters/BoT members like many would think? Or does it mean football coaches looking for advice? Petrino was OC for a year when Chiz was DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.