What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Gray, I’m still with you on the intermittent fasting. I’ve lost about 8 pounds. I’ve lost 23 since the first of the year.

I have an ideal place to walk. We live on a circle at the top of a hill. I walk a little less than a mile daily but for my bad ankles that’s about all they’ll let me do.

I wear Hoka shoes virtually all the time. About $140 but worth it to me. I’ve just about worn this pair out but they’re over a year old.

I used to to have a NordicTrack but I can’t get into all that indoor motion. I’d just rather be outside. This morning it was 64 degrees. Perfect!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No big deal unless it’s got an unusual anatomy like a curved root or multiple canals. I love doing RCT’s on 13. 12 and 14 are both multiple canals.
I have the curved root problem. In fact, once, in removing #16, the oral surgeon had to mount a little circular saw and cut the root up into small pieces...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I have the curved root problem. In fact, once, in removing #16, the oral surgeon had to mount a little circular saw and cut the root up into small pieces...
I get nervous using discs on teeth. It’s easy for them to bind. I section teeth with a bur but there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

The curved roots were were really hard to treat endodontically until the nickel titanium rotary files came along. They’re still not easy and better done by an endodontist.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Gray, I’m still with you on the intermittent fasting. I’ve lost about 8 pounds. I’ve lost 23 since the first of the year.

I have an ideal place to walk. We live on a circle at the top of a hill. I walk a little less than a mile daily but for my bad ankles that’s about all they’ll let me do.

I wear Hoka shoes virtually all the time. About $140 but worth it to me. I’ve just about worn this pair out but they’re over a year old.

I used to to have a NordicTrack but I can’t get into all that indoor motion. I’d just rather be outside. This morning it was 64 degrees. Perfect!
I checked out Hoka shoes to day. Do you wear them all day or just to walk in? They sure felt good, but are a might on the pricey side.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Actually, he asked me if I had anyone to drive me. When I answered in the negative, he said "Earle, this is going to make some noise." I guess he could have driven me. He was my next-door neighbor...
I had five wisdom teeth. The fifth was gum impacted. Not fun, but nothing like what you went through.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I checked out Hoka shoes to day. Do you wear them all day or just to walk in? They sure felt good, but are a might on the pricey side.
I wear them all the time. I broke both ankles in a car accident and have had off and on arthritis since. Hokas are like walking on a marshmallow. Pricey yes, but they really cushion your joints.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wear them all the time. I broke both ankles in a car accident and have had off and on arthritis since. Hokas are like walking on a marshmallow. Pricey yes, but they really cushion your joints.
My wife's a die-hard Hoka fan. I was a Saucony guy but recently switched to Brooks Adrenalines and really like them, especially the wide toe-box, which is a blessing when rucking long miles.

I don't necessarily think there's any collusion going on, but it's interesting that all these shoes price about the same ($130-150 price range)...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Final question, I promise. Walking shoes or running shoes? I usually walk 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week, about 2.15 to 2.25 miles per day. Quite a few hills where I live. I have always been a New Balance fan, but their top of the line walkers are in the $175 range. Mrs Gray Tide is the energizer bunny and swears by Saucony. I get tired watching her run.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’ve got two pairs of Hokas, runners and hikers. The runners are lighter, cooler, and more springy. The hikers are better looking and have much better support. I’ve had both for over a year and the hikers look brand new because I like the runners better. I’m wearing the hikers now because I stepped in gum with the runners yesterday. :mad:

When I was in school in Tuscaloosa, I wore a size 11. As I’ve aged my foot has gotten wider and longer so that now I buy size 13. I’m also about an inch and a half shorter. Aging sucks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I ruck - which is fast-paced walking with a weighted rucksack - so it's a lot like backpacking. That said, there are lots of hiking shoes, but if you're staying on the asphalt (which most walkers do), the extra support isn't worth the extra weight. Which is why I use running shoes exclusively - as Go Bama said, they're lighter and have more cushioning (as running generates roughly 4x your body weight on the heel of each stride), so they're ideal walkers, imo.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Final question, I promise. Walking shoes or running shoes? I usually walk 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week, about 2.15 to 2.25 miles per day. Quite a few hills where I live. I have always been a New Balance fan, but their top of the line walkers are in the $175 range. Mrs Gray Tide is the energizer bunny and swears by Saucony. I get tired watching her run.
I’ve run hundreds of miles with the Saucony Guide series. They’re really good for support especially if you’re a heavier person like me. I bought the Guide 10 a while back. Expensive but good shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I’ve got two pairs of Hokas, runners and hikers. The runners are lighter, cooler, and more springy. The hikers are better looking and have much better support. I’ve had both for over a year and the hikers look brand new because I like the runners better. I’m wearing the hikers now because I stepped in gum with the runners yesterday. :mad:

When I was in school in Tuscaloosa, I wore a size 11. As I’ve aged my foot has gotten wider and longer so that now I buy size 13. I’m also about an inch and a half shorter. Aging sucks.
LOL! I've lost 4"-5" over the last 25 years or so...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
so i have finally gotten back to mountain biking regularly in 2019 which has been great. it had been almost 20 years since i was riding regularly. i have been averaging about 3 rides per week since march (several miles of nice single track 10 minutes from either work or house.)

my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new bike this fall. i am currently riding my old ('94) hardtail with a re-furbed front suspension and it's still holding up ok. a lot has changed since i stopped riding and i am psyched about getting a new bike and am finally going to give in and get a dual-suspension rig. currently looking at the below

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

my feet have expanded over the past 15 years of running. when i first started running seriously i was a 10, then 10 1/2 and last year had to step up to 11.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We have hit the greenway hard over the last week putting in 19 miles since last Tuesday. Getting ready for a fall hiking group which will involve some hill climbing at a moderate pace in the foothills around Huntsville. The weather puts some serious stress on the body and my feet are letting me know it is time for some good shoes with some more room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.