Softball Playoffs

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'd rather give up homers than walks, at least the batter would have had to hit the ball in order to earn something. Four walks in this innings.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather give up homers than walks, at least the batter would have had to hit the ball in order to earn something. Four walks in this innings.
And a 2 out error on a play that would have had you out of the inning without giving up a run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Congrats. Better to win ugly than lose. Maybe the Sooners will lose their game 7 and help your cause.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is why the #8 ranking is a travesty. When you look at Arizona St you see that they are a team that probably should've hosted a regional themselves. The 8 and 9 seeds get hard regionals, just look at Texas now. We should've gotten a cake regional like Florida, but we were held to some arbitrary standard instead of H2H and conference champs in a tough conference.

But I worry more about Cornill than I do Fouts. Yeah Fouts didn't pitch great these last two days, but she hasn't faced an aggressive hitting team like this before. So she can correct it. Cornill is a rise ball pitcher, and the fact ASU picked up on her speed that fast is very worrisome because it means teams like UCLA and Oklahoma can too. But we have about 4-5 days to get back on track.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, a win is a win is a win. Can't believe we walked the bases loaded in the 6th, but I think that plate umpire had a little to do with. I thought is was a pretty tight strike zone, which of course leads to a 9-8 type game. Not many corners being called today. The ump yesterday was just all over the place, the one today was just really tight.

But I was glad to see us fight back. I thought I would miss the game because my daughter was getting engaged, but they had the game on at the restaurant we were at. When it was 5-0, I was thinking about getting ready for game 2. But we saw what can happen when you can't pitch around Bailey Hemphill.

On to the supers! Good luck ladies!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, a win is a win is a win. Can't believe we walked the bases loaded in the 6th, but I think that plate umpire had a little to do with. I thought is was a pretty tight strike zone, which of course leads to a 9-8 type game. Not many corners being called today. The ump yesterday was just all over the place, the one today was just really tight.

But I was glad to see us fight back. I thought I would miss the game because my daughter was getting engaged, but they had the game on at the restaurant we were at. When it was 5-0, I was thinking about getting ready for game 2. But we saw what can happen when you can't pitch around Bailey Hemphill.

On to the supers! Good luck ladies!
The ump yesterday was just inept but he called a lot of calls our way.

Today’s ump has been a thorn in our side for years. She is very random of how tight she wants it at different parts of the game. Our pitchers had shrunken strike zones; Arizona St had wider ones. I just hate it every time she is on crew. I remember her from the Oklahoma super regional 4 years ago. It seemed Osorio had to almost dare Oklahoma with a rise ball down the middle to even have a chance of a strike. But rickets could throw anything outside and get a strike.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
The ump yesterday was just inept but he called a lot of calls our way.

Today’s ump has been a thorn in our side for years. She is very random of how tight she wants it at different parts of the game. Our pitchers had shrunken strike zones; Arizona St had wider ones. I just hate it every time she is on crew. I remember her from the Oklahoma super regional 4 years ago. It seemed Osorio had to almost dare Oklahoma with a rise ball down the middle to even have a chance of a strike. But rickets could throw anything outside and get a strike.
I thought she looked familiar. Just didn't give any corners, and that's how Montana pitches. I think the only corner she gave was a strike-out on one of our players, (can't remember who), on a ball that was actually up and away. Of course it was in crunch time. I hope we get more consistent plate work for the Supers.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe I'm off base, but how can a girl or anyone HIT a ball when they seem to be DANCING in the batters box: (BOTH feet) moving as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand?

How can they CONCENTRATE on HITTING the ball? I'm not talking about any specific team. When, if they do hit the ball, it's just a dribble or a swinging strike where they miss even hitting the ball. Who teaches this concept of hitting? Does the Alabama coach. Do all youth league, high school and college teams teach this?

I've been watching LSU vs Texas Tech and just found that to be weird. I've seen others do it also.

I can see a left hand batter stepping forward with their RIGHT foot toward the ball as you swing or a right hand batter stepping forward with their left foot while swinging for a single, double, triple or home run.

One other thing that I noticed regarding a Texas Longhorn player. I know baseball players do some weird things. So, I guess softball players do weird things also. This Texas player before stepping into the batter's box, walks halfway down toward the 1st base line, turns around, picks up some dirt, etc. and eventually steps into the batters box. She does this prior to every pitch. I just thought it was weird. You'll see it if Texas ends up playing Alabama. Is this just a very SUPERSTITIOUS player? It just looks weird and waste a lot of TIME during a game. It's like a DELAY in the game. If Texas does play Alabama, please observe this and respond. Is she trying to get the pitcher to become impatient and un-glued or as they say: rattled?

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I've watched them and every time I see them, she is pitching. I don't know if they have anyone else. I guess we'll see.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Maybe I'm off base, but how can a girl or anyone HIT a ball when they seem to be DANCING in the batters box: (BOTH feet) moving as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand?

How can they CONCENTRATE on HITTING the ball? I'm not talking about any specific team. When, if they do hit the ball, it's just a dribble or a swinging strike where they miss even hitting the ball. Who teaches this concept of hitting? Does the Alabama coach. Do all youth league, high school and college teams teach this?

I've been watching LSU vs Texas Tech and just found that to be weird. I've seen others do it also.

I can see a left hand batter stepping forward with their RIGHT foot toward the ball as you swing or a right hand batter stepping forward with their left foot while swinging for a single, double, triple or home run.

One other thing that I noticed regarding a Texas Longhorn player. I know baseball players do some weird things. So, I guess softball players do weird things also. This Texas player before stepping into the batter's box, walks halfway down toward the 1st base line, turns around, picks up some dirt, etc. and eventually steps into the batters box. She does this prior to every pitch. I just thought it was weird. You'll see it if Texas ends up playing Alabama. Is this just a very SUPERSTITIOUS player? It just looks weird and waste a lot of TIME during a game. It's like a DELAY in the game. If Texas does play Alabama, please observe this and respond. Is she trying to get the pitcher to become impatient and un-glued or as they say: rattled?
In softball, you have different kinds of hitters. The ones you are referring to are called "slappers". They are basically moving on contact, trying to put the ball in play and beat it out with their speed. BAMA's lead off hitter, Elissa Brown, is a slapper. She tries to slam the ball down, get a big hop, and haul-ass to first. It's 60 foot bases, and she is super fast, and was 3-3 for three doing it yesterday. Her job is to get on base so the players behind her can knock her in. The big catch this year is they changed the slapping rule and both feet now have to be completely in the batter's box on contact. If half your foot is over the batter's box line, and the ump catches it, you're out. Elissa is the only true slapper I'm aware of that BAMA has.

Regarding that Texas player, maybe the pitcher liked to work fast, and she was trying to annoy her and slow her down. Texas is on the way so I'll be looking for that this weekend.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.