Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I hope G-VilleTider is doing well. Not that we deserve or demand an update but since I'm giving one I wanted to give you the opportunity.

My youngest (15 now) has been taking CBD from hemp for about a year. It has been helping along with other meds, but it seems even after tweaking the meds and lots of other work we still need something more.

So our next step is to get a medical cannabis card for him and go from there. We've been talking about this for several months and I finally found somewhere within reasonable driving distance to take him. Assuming it goes as expected I imagine I am going to be learning a lot about growing and making capsules and other edibles.

We're still a few weeks away from going, but I'm looking forward to it and hopeful it will help. I never thought I would be in this boat, but here we are.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I hope G-VilleTider is doing well. Not that we deserve or demand an update but since I'm giving one I wanted to give you the opportunity.

My youngest (15 now) has been taking CBD from hemp for about a year. It has been helping along with other meds, but it seems even after tweaking the meds and lots of other work we still need something more.

So our next step is to get a medical cannabis card for him and go from there. We've been talking about this for several months and I finally found somewhere within reasonable driving distance to take him. Assuming it goes as expected I imagine I am going to be learning a lot about growing and making capsules and other edibles.

We're still a few weeks away from going, but I'm looking forward to it and hopeful it will help. I never thought I would be in this boat, but here we are.
Big Pharma has known of the benefits for years; their problem has always been being able to control the profits for themselves, and they are working even now towards that goal.
There is a big difference between the pharmacological benefits of CO and CBD; the evidence is all anecdotal (at what point does a mountain of anecdotal evidence become more than “unscientific” proof?), but only lacking in support because “scientists” haven’t studied it yet, to the point they should have (bet big Pharma and our government have, though).
Good luck with your son. I personally know one person, and hundreds via FB, whose lives have been changed (for the better) because of it. I’m hoping your son’s (and your family’s) will too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There is - it’s called a blood test. THC doesn’t remain in the blood for 24 hrs ( I think I read it was more like 6-8...?), and it does create a specific compound that remains in bladder for much longer (which shows up in urine tests).
An acceptable level was decided for alcohol in the bloodstream, certainly the same could be done for THC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure unlike alcohol, blood tests for Marijuana don't show "level of impairment" or measure it in anyway. Its more of a yes or no. Plus edibles and smoking work differently, less THC enters the blood when you eat edibles. So, you could be more impaired but less would show up in a blood test.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure unlike alcohol, blood tests for Marijuana don't show "level of impairment" or measure it in anyway. Its more of a yes or no.
BAC doesn't show level of impairment, either - it's why they developed field sobriety tests. I know people are working on breathalyzers for marijuana as well as field sobriety tests to test a driver's (possible) impairment.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
My family and I are doing well. Thank you NT17. We, like I suspect your family, are just waiting for the day it is taken off schedule 1 so that it can be researched more easily for medical purposes.

The way I prepare it is far from perfect so I mostly have to guestimate dosage and each strain involves its own evaluation and testing. Some of the strains are very relaxing. Others greatly exacerbate my anxiety and unease. Some to the point I have to really concentrate not to have a panic attack. These strains also seem to increase autistic type behaviors such as the inability to stay still or not constantly touching my face, hair etc. It can make for a very uncomfortably evening. I am not trying to scare you away from this at all. Even the worst it has made me feel is still much better than the alternative. All of it has completely kept the expressive aphasia and asymmetrical facial swelling at bay. Try not to get too discouraged if it takes awhile to figure out how it can benefit your child the most.

We took a trip out west last fall and it included a state where it is legal even for rec use. I bought several bags of edibles there. Each bag was different ... a sativa, an indica, hybrids and others that also included cbd. Each were individual gummies that had 10mg of THC. If I needed it for my child, this is the route I would choose. For me, they were amazing. I could exactly regulate the dosage so that I could function without impairment from either the medicine or the disease. I also found that some were much better during the day, while others were better at night. While I cannot tell you how much my edibles contain, from effect, they are much higher. These edibles were able to allow me to control my symptoms better while at the same time reduce the over all amount of the medicine.

NT17, I am praying for your family and especially your child. If there is anything I can answer for you, Please don't hesitate to ask, to pm, or call. Good luck my friend!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
My family and I are doing well. Thank you NT17. We, like I suspect your family, are just waiting for the day it is taken off schedule 1 so that it can be researched more easily for medical purposes.

The way I prepare it is far from perfect so I mostly have to guestimate dosage and each strain involves its own evaluation and testing. Some of the strains are very relaxing. Others greatly exacerbate my anxiety and unease. Some to the point I have to really concentrate not to have a panic attack. These strains also seem to increase autistic type behaviors such as the inability to stay still or not constantly touching my face, hair etc. It can make for a very uncomfortably evening. I am not trying to scare you away from this at all. Even the worst it has made me feel is still much better than the alternative. All of it has completely kept the expressive aphasia and asymmetrical facial swelling at bay. Try not to get too discouraged if it takes awhile to figure out how it can benefit your child the most.

We took a trip out west last fall and it included a state where it is legal even for rec use. I bought several bags of edibles there. Each bag was different ... a sativa, an indica, hybrids and others that also included cbd. Each were individual gummies that had 10mg of THC. If I needed it for my child, this is the route I would choose. For me, they were amazing. I could exactly regulate the dosage so that I could function without impairment from either the medicine or the disease. I also found that some were much better during the day, while others were better at night. While I cannot tell you how much my edibles contain, from effect, they are much higher. These edibles were able to allow me to control my symptoms better while at the same time reduce the over all amount of the medicine.

NT17, I am praying for your family and especially your child. If there is anything I can answer for you, Please don't hesitate to ask, to pm, or call. Good luck my friend!
Limited lunch time today but wanted to thank you and I’ll have more later. Glad you guys are well.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Finally winding down a bit so wanted to add a bit.

I am going to be relying on the expertise of the MD to which we go to help as far as finding a good strain as well as the experts at the dispensary. The first thing is to get the card, then the weed, the see what seems to work. After that I will seek out someone to help me learn to grow it correctly and to get it into a form that works for us.

We're on a modified school schedule for now so not too worried about that for now but later we may have to figure out a way for a midday dose - just mentioning it but not worried about it for now.

One thing I hope it will do is to allow him to go the entire day. That simply is not possible now.

I may take you up on the offer later but I really want you to take care of yourself.

If it comes off Schedule I then not only is research in the US more viable but maybe the VA is forced to address the issue in a positive way instead of being counterproductive. I know number of vets are using it for their problems from pain to PTSD and they need more help.

Also, ketamine - or a form of it - appears to be moving toward FDA approval for depression and may be effective for PTSD; but people trained in its use are going to be few and far between. Looks promising for some, but like everything enjoy a grain of salt with it.

At least there is hope. Praying for you and yours.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure unlike alcohol, blood tests for Marijuana don't show "level of impairment" or measure it in anyway. Its more of a yes or no. Plus edibles and smoking work differently, less THC enters the blood when you eat edibles. So, you could be more impaired but less would show up in a blood test.
My point was that a urine test is misleading - there is NO level of impairment a week after you get high.
Sorry for lack of clarity.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Had to sit down at keyboard so I can get my thoughts out semi-coherently.

First, I'm not here to debate whether or not marijuana works in a medicinal capacity, because obviously it does. The issues I have with legalizing it and allowing it everywhere in a medicinal role is the absolute and complete abuse that would occur. The abuse would occur with people who have trouble saying, and those that don't even try saying, enough is enough. I truly believe that punishment from law enforcement and loss of their job are the only factors that keep some people sober, and even those are deterrents for some. Can you imagine a world where, "I have a prescription" would be used by some people to wander around society almost oblivious to the world around them? Nothing in our society has escaped abuse in some form or fashion, and I feel fairly certain that prescription marijuana would fall right in line.

Secondly, my experiences were not meant to be for sympathy. I was merely trying to show that if someone with a very narrow interaction of the world can have two instances of marijuana abuse affect them directly, then I'm sure others can as well.
Abuse with any substance that can be abused will occur, but why should that stop people who benefit immensely from a substance? In many cases we are talking something close to or literally the difference between life and death.

Now, before you think I'm exaggerating, the original post is about a veteran who was at that point. That's not even considering those with seizures so frequent and severe that their lives are shortened when cannabis has been shown to be an effective treatment.

I don't give a rat's fat behind if someone drinks too much alcohol or if their vice is weed in relation to whether those who need should be able to access it. Don't hurt other people with it and there shouldn't be a problem.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
From the article:

Concerns over variable CBD quality and strength have caused problems for cannabis entrepreneurs recently, especially when the debatably legal extract is incorporated into consumer products such as food.
[FONT=&quot]

There is no debate:

[/FONT]
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2/text

“SEC. 297A. DEFINITIONS.“In this subtitle:“(1) HEMP.—The term ‘hemp’ means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis..
SEC. 12619. CONFORMING CHANGES TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT.(a) In General.—Section 102(16) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802(16)) is amended—(1) by striking “(16) The” and inserting “(16)(A) Subject to subparagraph (B), the”; and(2) by striking “Such term does not include the” and inserting the following:“(B) The term ‘marihuana’ does not include—“(i) hemp, as defined in section 297A of the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946; or“(ii) the”.(b) Tetrahydrocannabinol.—Schedule I, as set forth in section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812(c)), is amended in subsection (c)(17) by inserting after “Tetrahydrocannabinols” the following: “, except for tetrahydrocannabinols in hemp (as defined under section 297A of the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946)”.
Sorry, just something that stuck out like a sore thumb in the article. Hemp is legal. That includes CBD and even THC contained within hemp.

Really cool that they were able to synthesize CBD, though.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/marijuana/2019/02/26/all-presidential-candidates-support-legalizing-marijuana-even-republicans/bK4sQjPIgkzm54kl0dmZoI/story.html?et_rid=647674711&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter

All 2020 presidential candidates now support marijuana legalization efforts — even the Republicans

All 12 official Democratic candidates, as well as the potential Republican hopeful and former Massachusetts governor William F. Weld, told the Globe they now support full nationwide legalization, Canada-style.

President Trump, meanwhile, has said he supports states’ rights to legalize.

The times they are a changing!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
From the article:

Concerns over variable CBD quality and strength have caused problems for cannabis entrepreneurs recently, especially when the debatably legal extract is incorporated into consumer products such as food.
[FONT=&quot]

There is no debate:

[/FONT]
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2/text

Sorry, just something that stuck out like a sore thumb in the article. Hemp is legal. That includes CBD and even THC contained within hemp.

Really cool that they were able to synthesize CBD, though.
I noticed that in the article, and I agree there has to be some form of standardization in regards to potency, dosage etc. I’m just not thrilled at the prospect of Big Pharma controlling it, because the cost, while very high now, might make it unaffordable for many unless insurance companies step up.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I noticed that in the article, and I agree there has to be some form of standardization in regards to potency, dosage etc. I’m just not thrilled at the prospect of Big Pharma controlling it, because the cost, while very high now, might make it unaffordable for many unless insurance companies step up.

In CA many cannot afford it. I make enough that it's a small burden to buy it, but I plan on growing it to cut down on the cost.

A trip to the dispensary can cost anywhere from $50 to several hundred, depending on what and how much. Reliable online hemp CBD from Charlotte's web costs over $100/month. It can be found for less.

I've had several people who were using it with good results (both hemp and cannabis) stop buying it because of cost.

The method in the article could reduce the cost and give a reliable dose. So long as no one tries to patent the plant it's good.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In CA many cannot afford it. I make enough that it's a small burden to buy it, but I plan on growing it to cut down on the cost.

A trip to the dispensary can cost anywhere from $50 to several hundred, depending on what and how much. Reliable online hemp CBD from Charlotte's web costs over $100/month. It can be found for less.

I've had several people who were using it with good results (both hemp and cannabis) stop buying it because of cost.

The method in the article could reduce the cost and give a reliable dose. So long as no one tries to patent the plant it's good.
are you near humboldt county?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I heard you can grow up to 25 plants.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
of close enough to drive there often

6 mature or 12 immature plants locally without a special license for more.
Is that 6 or 12 per person or per household?
My friend might have been talking about him and his wife. He did say there was no punishment if you grew more; if caught, LE would just pull up the excess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.