Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't trust anyone to be the person or in the group of people who gets to decide where the line is of who should and shouldn't be killed. That's one of many reasons I'm against it.

Also, I'm just against taking human life. Period.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't particularly like the death penalty but, IMO, people like Bundy forfeit their life by committing heinous crimes when there is no doubt that they did it.
I think life in prison is far worse than death. In fact if I was certain to a life with no parole sentence I would wish for a death sentence, I'd need to be on serious suicide watch as I'd end it first chance I got

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think life in prison is far worse than death. In fact if I was certain to a life with no parole sentence I would wish for a death sentence, I'd need to be on serious suicide watch as I'd end it first chance I got
The former warden at ADX Florence called the place a clean version of Hell. If the El Paso killer spends the next 50 years there, it won’t bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
There are better ways than the death penalty. Just castrate them, take away their eyesight, and send them home with a monthly welfare check. Cheaper than keeping them in prison.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
No one should be given the death penalty. I don't care what beliefs you hold.
I have always believed that according to the declaration of independence the government cannot sentence someone else to death. Because life is one of our unalienable rights granted by the Creator no one but the creator can take that right from anyone.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have always believed that according to the declaration of independence the government cannot sentence someone else to death. Because life is one of our unalienable rights granted by the Creator no one but the creator can take that right from anyone.
Interesting question. I am not sure what the constitutional standing of the Declaration of Independence is. Using that same logic, the government could never incarcerate anyone for any crime either since it also says we are endowed by our Creator with liberty.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I tend to agree with you.

That being said, I find it hard to tear up with dirtbags like Timothy McVeigh gets sent to a dirt nap.

The DP is unfairly applied, and many are unjustly convicted and sent to Death Row. Timothy McVeigh's case included none of this.
Just to clarify because a few people have said this.

I don't lose any sleep over certain awful people dying/being put to death either. However, I still do not support their execution.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just to clarify because a few people have said this.

I don't lose any sleep over certain awful people dying/being put to death either. However, I still do not support their execution.
Same here. I get tired of pro-DP people thinking I have some great love for brutal killers. Or that I should let them live at my house.

I guess they support the death penalty for every crime. Do you think burglary should be a capital crime? You don’t? Then let them move in with you if you like them so much.

My main objection is that innocent people are on death row. I know it is a very small percentage, but one is too many.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
https://www.towleroad.com/2019/08/trump-8-8/

“The president says that we will fly our flags at half-mast until August 8, that’s 8/8. Now I’m not going to imply that he did this deliberately, but I am using it as an example of the ignorance of the adversary that’s being demonstrated by the White House. The numbers 8/8 are very significant in the neo-Nazi and the white supremacy movement. Why? Because the letter ‘H’ is the 8th letter of the alphabet, and to them, the numbers 8/8 stand for “Heil Hitler.” So we’re going to be raising the flag back up at dusk on 8/8. No one’s thinking about this. No one’s giving the advice, or he’s rejecting the advice.”

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Same here. I get tired of pro-DP people thinking I have some great love for brutal killers. Or that I should let them live at my house.

I guess they support the death penalty for every crime. Do you think burglary should be a capital crime? You don’t? Then let them move in with you if you like them so much.

My main objection is that innocent people are on death row. I know it is a very small percentage, but one is too many.

I disagree with it on principle. But as most of us agree, it's hard to lose sleep when the crime was so egregious, and the evidence against the defendant is so damning (DNA, etc) and overwhelming.

What I have a problem with is poor access to competent defense, and disreputable DA's, planted evidence, jailhouse rats.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I disagree with it on principle. But as most of us agree, it's hard to lose sleep when the crime was so egregious, and the evidence against the defendant is so damning (DNA, etc) and overwhelming.

What I have a problem with is poor access to competent defense, and disreputable DA's, planted evidence, jailhouse rats.
I think you mean "reliance on jailhouse rats"...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Oh. My. Gosh.
Kansas City votes to remove King's name from historic street

Kansas City voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved removing Dr. Martin Luther King's name from one of the city's most historic boulevards, less than a year after the city council decided to rename The Paseo for the civil rights icon. Unofficial results vote showed the proposal to remove King's name received nearly 70% of the vote, with just over 30% voting to retain King's name.
If you are looking at cases in which direct democracy may be a bad idea, this and Brexit stand out. This is really not a good look for Kansas City.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Interesting question. I am not sure what the constitutional standing of the Declaration of Independence is. Using that same logic, the government could never incarcerate anyone for any crime either since it also says we are endowed by our Creator with liberty.
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think the Declaration of Independence has any direct link to the Constitution.

Essentially, the DoI was a letter that said, "Dear British Empire -- We're no longer ruled by you. Here's why [lots of flowery language]. Not-So-Respectfully, The Rebels"

I'm sure Tidewater can quote more precise statistics, but as I remember, the colonial population was split into three roughly equal segments. About a third wanted independence, about a third wanted to stay in the Empire, and about a third didn't care one way or the other. So at the time it was written, the DoI had active backing from a distinct minority of the population.

A pretty audacious statement, when you think about it: a definite minority presuming to speak for the whole of the American colonies, up to and including inviting an armed response from the Brits, which they knew full well would ensue.

Whereas the Constitution was ratified by all the states, and therefore had the backing of a far bigger portion of the population.

The Constitution might incorporate some of the same overarching ideas and principles, but it's the foundation of our legal system. The DoI was just that -- telling the British Empire that we're going our own way. Two separate sets of purposes and implications.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Oh. My. Gosh.

If you are looking at cases in which direct democracy may be a bad idea, this and Brexit stand out. This is really not a good look for Kansas City.
I read that people were upset because the old name had some historical significance. But sometimes you have to look at the big picture and realize that just don’t look good.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Oh. My. Gosh.

Actually it seems like elected officials went against the will of the people that was voiced ahead of time. The street is part of a historic district, there are other streets that could be renamed, so why did the pick this street? Tone deaf, alternative agendas, who knows,,, now they have a bigger .....

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Actually it seems like elected officials went against the will of the people that was voiced ahead of time. The street is part of a historic district, there are other streets that could be renamed, so why did the pick this street? Tone deaf, alternative agendas, who knows,,, now they have a bigger .....
Obviously correct as to the issue of renaming Paseo Blvd. Most Kansas Citians seem to prefer Paseo. The optics of removing MLK's name are terrible. I suspect that KC will find some other MLK Blvd soon, but this time will listen to local residents as to which street to rename MLK Blvd.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Obviously correct as to the issue of renaming Paseo Blvd. Most Kansas Citians seem to prefer Paseo. The optics of removing MLK's name are terrible. I suspect that KC will find some other MLK Blvd soon, but this time will listen to local residents as to which street to rename MLK Blvd.
my understanding is that there were two roads (paseo and one other) and an airport terminal that were put up by a citizen commission as options. i didn't see any info as to why paseo was chosen vs the other options.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
my understanding is that there were two roads (paseo and one other) and an airport terminal that were put up by a citizen commission as options. i didn't see any info as to why paseo was chosen vs the other options.
Paseo is a major thoroughfare. Maybe the most famous/significant road in KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.