It's Official: College Football Going to a Seeded 4 Team Playoff

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Some comprehensive Rpi formula that is fully disclosed is the only way to go. I would probably separate the home and away SoS into different categories. Add in a quality loss component to teams ranked in the top 10 within 4 points. On a marginal basis I would also include a team's rankings in the major offensive and defensive categories. Obviously the bias would come from the weight you put on each component of such a formula but transparent bias on the front end without knowing who the contenders are is preferred to the back end closed door bias that could erupt. Doing it this way would actually make it easier on committee members. Otherwise I don't know why on earth someone would want the job given all the harassment they are sure to endure.

TexasRed

3rd Team
Nov 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have zero doubt our recent victory was the straw that broke the camel's back, but lots of fans and media folks have been clamoring for a playoff for years.
yeah. slive also eagerly went along with the new plan so either he's in on it or he's a fool. i think i would have rather had the polls, but i'm fine with a selection committee too. i personally think we'll still do rather well. and i do not think that i'm unintelligent, uneducated or misinformed. i normally agree with the majority of bama fans on this board, but there's a lot more hate for a selection committee than i would have thought.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Nothing has really changed. Now the media will harp (endlessly) about the poor #5 team which got left out and how unfair it is and how they need a real playoff and on and on and on.

The real fire storm will be when the selection committee choose #1, #2. # 3 and #5 and leaves out poor number four. Oh my, that will be a fine brawl.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have a feeling the coaches poll may be near it's end. The AP Poll will likely be the only major poll left once the playoff system goes into effect. It will be interesting to see how the AP differs from the playoff seeds picked by the committee.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I have a feeling the coaches poll may be near it's end. The AP Poll will likely be the only major poll left once the playoff system goes into effect. It will be interesting to see how the AP differs from the playoff seeds picked by the committee.
That's just really kind of sad to me.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I have not seen anything that says exactly how the selections will be made.
I suspect that it will be like basketball and baseball. We will have the polls and perhaps an RPI, and will have a good idea how it is going to go, but will not know for sure until the announcement is made.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
TideEngineer, we are both engineers and both Bama fans, but apparently that is where the similarities end! :biggrin2:

The old poll system was not a failure. I know that you know the definition of the word failure. College fooball has been the most popular sport in this country for a REALLY long time. Failure? HMMMM. In fact, I submit to you that the poll system is one of the very things that MADE college football so wildly popular. Baseball and basketball are great sports too, but neither enjoy the popularity of college football. Part of that is simply this one factor: In college football, the only thing that ever mattered was....EXCELLENCE. You had to be excellent to convince everyone to vote you #1. Excellence has always been rewarded in college football, as it should be. In the other sports, it is clearly different. You play all season with the goal of "qualifying" for the postseason so you can then hope to be hot at that time and win a tournament.

In 2014, college football will step across that line into the "bracket world" with all the other sports.

Another place we disagree is the blanket assumption that the fanbase has been demanding a playoff for years. No we have not. A few loudmouths have. The tilted journalism we hear, read and see all the time has obviously worked well. They have convince you that everyone wanted this! I think less than 50% of college football fans want this. Its being done to make money #1 and prevent an all-SEC championship game #2.

Disclaimers:

#1 - I did not say the poll system was perfect, nor is the current BCS. However, all things considered, both are better than a large playoff system in which excellence is overlooked if favor of inclusion (which is where we will be headed after a few years of this 4-team deal).

#2 - I'm not really a doom-and-gloom kind of person. I know college football will continue to be great and the SEC will continue to stand out as the best conference. I do however think it is important for people to open their eyes and see what is happening here.

The only way they will get this thing right is if they are unable to achieve a consensus on the many unresolved details of the selection committee and they run out of time and have to fall back to just taking the BCS top 4.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was listening to the president of Western Kentucky this morning. He's on the BCS presidential oversight committee. It appears that it is quite possible that this new committee will select not only the 4 playoff teams, but also the participants of the other 4 "BCS" bowls. Right now you have the Rose, Champions, and Orange bowl that have contractual tie-ins with the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC, Big 12 and ACC. But all the others are up for grabs at this point.

And he went in depth on the formula that they will most likely use. Strength of Schedule is the main component. They want teams to play a challenging schedule, including in the non-conference portion. They'll also factor in head-to-head results where applicable, and yes... if you are a conference champion you could win in a tie-breaker scenario with another team that did not win their conference. This doesn't mean a 9-3 Wisconsin team that wins the Big Ten will get in. This means that a 11-1 Oklahoma that wins the Big 12 that is ranked 5th will get in over a 11-1 Alabama that does not win the SEC.

However, the hosts of this radio show asked him this question. What if Cincinnati is 12-0 and Big East champions. Notre Dame is 11-1 and they are the final two teams in consideration for the 4th playoff spot. Who gets in? The guy sounded like he was going to choke. Obviously, Notre Dame cannot be a conference champion. He never would answer the question.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
TideEngineer, we are both engineers and both Bama fans, but apparently that is where the similarities end! :biggrin2:

The old poll system was not a failure. I know that you know the definition of the word failure. College fooball has been the most popular sport in this country for a REALLY long time. Failure? HMMMM. In fact, I submit to you that the poll system is one of the very things that MADE college football so wildly popular. Baseball and basketball are great sports too, but neither enjoy the popularity of college football. Part of that is simply this one factor: In college football, the only thing that ever mattered was....EXCELLENCE. You had to be excellent to convince everyone to vote you #1. Excellence has always been rewarded in college football, as it should be. In the other sports, it is clearly different. You play all season with the goal of "qualifying" for the postseason so you can then hope to be hot at that time and win a tournament.

In 2014, college football will step across that line into the "bracket world" with all the other sports.

Another place we disagree is the blanket assumption that the fanbase has been demanding a playoff for years. No we have not. A few loudmouths have. The titled journalism we hear, read and see all the time has obviously worked well. They have convince you that everyone wanted this! I think less than 50% of college football fans want this. Its being done to make money #1 and prevent an all-SEC championship game #2.

Disclaimers:

#1 - I did not say the poll system was perfect, nor is the current BCS. However, all things considered, both are better than a large playoff system in which excellence is overlooked if favor of inclusion (which is where we will be headed after a few years of this 4-team deal

#2 - I'm not really a doom-and-gloom kind of person. I know college football will continue to be great and the SEC will continue to stand out as the best conference. I do however think it is important for people to open theirs eyes and see what is happening here.

The only way they will get this thing right is if they are unable to achieve a consensus on the many unresolved details of the selection committee and they run out of time and have to fall back to just taking the BCS top 4.
The poll system was a failure in selecting a true national champion. I don't see how that's up for much debate. I submit to you 1966 Alabama as the only evidence that's really necessary, but there are many more years that could be cited.

Also, I'm not sure if you're saying that I was saying Alabama's fanbase has been demanding a playoff for years. They most certainly have not. But many fans across the country have been. A majority have been. That much is obvious when listening to call in shows and surfing various fan sites across the 'net.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
It is so funny to me that an engineer will do what you just did. I am not picking on you so take this with a grain of salt please. I am grinning here and you should be too.

I expect a statement like that from someone who is not typically an objective thinker - an "artsy" kind of person rather than a logical thinker.

The old system wasnt perfect. Its been said many times. So pointing out a few mistakes doesnt really make a point at all does it? What about the other 70 times it was right?

LMAO

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Strength of Schedule is the main component. They want teams to play a challenging schedule, including in the non-conference portion.
This is why the SEC shouldn't go to a 9 game conference schedule and really should consider cutting back to 7 if the SEC championship game is going to remain.

This criteria has been used in basketball and I've seen ACC schools penalized because of their out of conference schedule even when the ACC in-conference schedule was a murderer's row.

This is going to be a disaster if the selection committee aspect remains.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I realize I might be wrong about the popular opinion toward the 4-team playoff. I have to admit I know it is going to be lots of fun, IF it is done right and doesn't grow. That is where my concerns lie.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
yeah. slive also eagerly went along with the new plan so either he's in on it or he's a fool.
Slive and the SEC didn't have the power to stop this alone. He could have just walked away, but then the SEC would have been left out of the decision making process altogether. In matters like this, it's always much better to at least have a seat at the table.

I'm not really sure that the SEC was all the united anyway. I can easily see schools like UGA backing the Big-10 agenda.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Nothing has really changed. Now the media will harp (endlessly) about the poor #5 team which got left out and how unfair it is and how they need a real playoff and on and on and on.

The real fire storm will be when the selection committee choose #1, #2. # 3 and #5 and leaves out poor number four. Oh my, that will be a fine brawl.
That's exactly what would have happened in 2011. 1 LSU, 2 Bama, 3 Okie State, and 5 Oregon (by virtual of winning the Pac 12)

Currently, the AP does not factor into the BCS standings and is basically a meaningless poll. I wonder what will happen to it with the new playoff system.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
But many fans across the country have been. A majority have been. That much is obvious when listening to call in shows and surfing various fan sites across the 'net.
That is true, but in almost everyone of those cases the caller or the host were in favor of a playoff but presented a plan that was unworkable and now well thought out.

Of course this was always followed up with the host saying "that plan makes too much sense so it'll never happen". In reality, the plans only made sense if the details were completely ignored.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is so funny to me that an engineer will do what you just did. I am not picking on you so take this with a grain of salt please. I am grinning here and you should be too.

I expect a statement like that from someone who is not typically an objective thinker - an "artsy" kind of person rather than a logical thinker.

The old system wasnt perfect. Its been said many times. So pointing out a few mistakes doesnt really make a point at all does it? What about the other 70 times it was right?

LMAO
I said I could give several other years it did not get it right. The old system couldn't get it right because it was limited. It was a beauty pageant, a poll. Good grief it was politics. The old system got it right only in the years that it couldn't help but get it right, and it failed all the other times.

It's not difficult to say a 12-0 Alabama is the best team in the country when all other teams have lost a game.

I'm not grinning, don't agree that I'm thinking illogically or "artsy" as you say. We disagree... simple as that.

And by the way, I'm not calling for what these commissioners and presidents have given us and I fully expect to be disappointed with the final product. There is no perfect way, obviously. But the old way... no, I don't want to go back to that.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I wanna know what the Little 10 will say or try too do..When they get left out of the new playoff format..Will they moan & groan wanting the playoff system scraped like they're doing now too get their way..

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
They'll demand to go to 8 teams, which I fully expect to happen within 10 years.

Since the championship game is going to be up for bid, can a university put in a bid for it? There are many college stadiums that are bigger then these NFL stadiums so, could UA bid for the championship game and host it in BDS?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.