Kansas has fallen and can't get up

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
You're right, they lost the division title on tiebreakers, my memory is failing me. Regardless, they were 12-1, won a major bowl game and finished in the top 10 in both polls. You can diminish that if you want but they were clearly a good team and if someone like Mangino can do that at Kansas I stand by this "they're a bball school, you can't win there" rhetoric is nonsense.
With a good staff...with good recruiters? Sure. Could be done again. And probably will when the stars line up correctly. BUT......I watch so little Big12 football that I might not even notice. I know that Kansas had at least great running back during the 60s. Always wondered what Sayers MIGHT have done had his knee held up.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
The only game they ever have semi cared about in football was Missouri. They had a very interesting and competitive rivalry with each other
Absolutely! That rivalry is daily. I have read books about it. During the Civil War.....the war itself gave excuses to conduct border wars. They killed each other not even knowing what the missions were. Only that the enemy was guilty of living in Lawrence Kansas or Springfield Mo.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
With a good staff...with good recruiters? Sure. Could be done again. And probably will when the stars line up correctly. BUT......I watch so little Big12 football that I might not even notice. I know that Kansas had at least great running back during the 60s. Always wondered what Sayers MIGHT have done had his knee held up.
John Riggins too and John Hadl. Recently they had 2 of the best corners in the NFL: Aqib Talib and Chris Harris.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Kansas CAN be competitive if they want to be. Kansas State nearly always fields a team that wins. Albeit, rarely ever in a championship mode.

Iowa State is a comparable school. If a coach can win at Ames, they damn sure can win at Lawrenceville.

I just don't think they really want to put in the money and effort to make the Jayhawks competitive.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kansas CAN be competitive if they want to be. Kansas State nearly always fields a team that wins. Albeit, rarely ever in a championship mode.

Iowa State is a comparable school. If a coach can win at Ames, they damn sure can win at Lawrenceville.

I just don't think they really want to put in the money and effort to make the Jayhawks competitive.
Iowa and Kansas are very different. Iowa is a football state while Kansas is a basketball state. I don't just mean in college. Everyday folks in those states identify with their respective sports.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Iowa and Kansas are very different. Iowa is a football state while Kansas is a basketball state. I don't just mean in college. Everyday folks in those states identify with their respective sports.
Yeah Iowa only cares about wrestling, football, and reminding Nebraska that they produce more corn than they do.

Lawrence Kansas and Witchita adopted basketball as THEIR sport and have looked down on KSU. KSU really has many similarities as VT as they have a good coach stay forever and built a football foundation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going back to the 2014 recruiting class, 247Sports has ranked 48 players from Kansas' eight JUCOs in the top 50 JUCO players. None have gone to Kansas. Can't live off JUCO players, but a team like Kansas can really benefit from them.

Look at how State and Ole Miss have utilized the Mississippi JUCOs.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
As someone indicated, both Iowa and Iowa State are big in wrestling.

Iowa does have a decent record in football, although it never challenges for conference championships.

But the Iowa State comparison is apt. They never get 5 star recruits, and 4-stars are at a premium. McCarney did pretty well with coaching-up 2 and 3-stars, and going the juco route. The new coach there is continuing the trend.

The Big 12 is such that any of the top teams can be knocked off. ISU has beaten Okla. State and Oklahoma.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Going back to the 2014 recruiting class, 247Sports has ranked 48 players from Kansas' eight JUCOs in the top 50 JUCO players. None have gone to Kansas. Can't live off JUCO players, but a team like Kansas can really benefit from them.

Look at how State and Ole Miss have utilized the Mississippi JUCOs.
I was just about to post this about their JUCOs. This is also Synder’s blueprint for success. It’s laid out for them to copy regarding these type of players. Garden City always seems to have top talent. Can’t live off them (ala MSU Jackie Sherrill era) but it could make them competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kansas is 3-33 the past three years. Probably the worst P5 team (and that is saying something) because they show no signs of getting better. I remember the last hire and thinking "they don't really care about winning, they just want someone for minimum wage."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ts-next-coach-must-be-able-to-afford-to-fail/

Just a reminder to folks that Kansas is that ninth conference game for the rest of the Big 12 that - supposedly - is why the SEC has this post-season advantage.

In the last three years, Kansas has lost to both S Dakota St and SE Missouri St.

But something about "conference games cupcakes something something Alabama..."

As far as the Mark Mangino 2007 reference, I look at it two ways:

1) It was a fluke season in that it depended in large part on the Big 12 conference not being very good top to bottom. They lost to the only decent team they played (Missouri) and they did NOT play OU, Texas, or Texas Tech - the three other best teams in the conference that year.

2) At the same time, what this DOES prove is that a decent coach ought to be able to do better than 3-33. Beat the three cupcakes plus Baylor and Iowa State and then steal an upset in your other games - and you're in a bowl game, which for Kansas would be like building the pyramids.

EDITED TO ADD:

Go look at Mangino's record. The 2007 is like Brady Anderson's 50 homer season in 1996. It sticks out like a skyscraper:

2002 Kansas 2–10 0–8 6th (North)
2003 Kansas 6–7 3–5 T–4th (North) L Tangerine
2004 Kansas 4–7 2–6 T–5th (North)
2005 Kansas 7–5 3–5 5th (North) W Fort Worth
2006 Kansas 6–6 3–5 4th (North)
2007 Kansas 12–1 7–1 2nd (North) W Orange
2008 Kansas 8–5 4–4 3rd (North) W Insight
2009 Kansas 5–7 1–7 6th (North)

However, one can look at his overall record and figure KU should be able to do substantially better than one win per season.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bear Bryant won at Kentucky and even won the Sugar Bowl -- but Kentucky is still a BB school and that makes it more difficult.
Fran Curci had a national championship contender on probation at Kentucky in 1977 - long after Coach Bryant had left Lexington.

And Jerry Claiborne actually had UK playing about .500 year in and year out. Jerry, of course, played there under Bryant and was - by their terms - rather successful as a head coach.

And I'll always shake their hands for taking a certain hair sprayed coach off our hands......he took the Kentucky job when nobody wanted it something something

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm not sure I agree with this one.

However, it does seem that if a coach can go 5-19 at Ames, he can win a national title at Auburn......

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Fran Curci had a national championship contender on probation at Kentucky in 1977 - long after Coach Bryant had left Lexington.

And Jerry Claiborne actually had UK playing about .500 year in and year out. Jerry, of course, played there under Bryant and was - by their terms - rather successful as a head coach.

And I'll always shake their hands for taking a certain hair sprayed coach off our hands......he took the Kentucky job when nobody wanted it something something
Yes and then there was that Rich Brooks who kept living on the hot seat. He had asbestos underwear.

While we are on the subject of losers I wonder why these bottom feeders even try. In one sense Kansas and Vanderbilt are dumb spend a lot of money when a winning coach is going to leave in two years for a better and higher paying job. If Kansas spends big bucks and goes to a bowl two years running -- bye bye coach -- he's gone. Ditto Vandy, Oregon State and so forth.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes and then there was that Rich Brooks who kept living on the hot seat. He had asbestos underwear.

While we are on the subject of losers I wonder why these bottom feeders even try. In one sense Kansas and Vanderbilt are dumb spend a lot of money when a winning coach is going to leave in two years for a better and higher paying job. If Kansas spends big bucks and goes to a bowl two years running -- bye bye coach -- he's gone. Ditto Vandy, Oregon State and so forth.

I've wondered the same thing about places like Iowa State, Oregon State, or even Utah State.

I'm stunned beyond words that Dan Mullen spent as long as he did in Stark-Vegas. I understand why he didn't want Penn State post-Sandusky,
but he had a dozen other places including Florida that he could have gone.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was just about to post this about their JUCOs. This is also Synder’s blueprint for success. It’s laid out for them to copy regarding these type of players. Garden City always seems to have top talent. Can’t live off them (ala MSU Jackie Sherrill era) but it could make them competitive.

Actually, K-State has only signed two out of that same group of 48 players. I expected more. Unless he signs guys outside the top 50 JUCO players.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Actually, K-State has only signed two out of that same group of 48 players. I expected more. Unless he signs guys outside the top 50 JUCO players.
Interesting. I would’ve expected the same. I should’ve been clearer. I was talking about how he turned KSU around in the 80s & 90s. Signing several JUCOs was his blueprint & part of the reason for the quick turnaround. That program was awful before Synder got there. Descended there rather quickly again after he retired.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

In all fairness to Brooks:
- Beginning in 06 he went 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 7-6 his last four years going to bowls and winning 3 in a row. IMO, he did a great job. He left on his own I think.
- He beat a decent Clemson in a bowl, 2 decent UGA teams, a decent AU, a decent FSU in a bowl, a good Ark team, he beat LSU the year they won the NC in 07.
- He lost to three 13-1 UF teams over those 4 years and two undefeated reg season Bama teams. One of the Bama losses was by 3 at BDS. Lost by 2 to a 10 win UT team in 07. It was tough in the SEC at that time. UK made it tougher.
- UK was a very tough physical team - Brooks was a boxer in his youth.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Yeah Iowa only cares about wrestling, football, and reminding Nebraska that they produce more corn than they do.

Lawrence Kansas and Witchita adopted basketball as THEIR sport and have looked down on KSU. KSU really has many similarities as VT as they have a good coach stay forever and built a football foundation.
And you know what? Coach Bill Snyder has too much class to be in that conference. He doesn't whine. Hmmmm. He believes in running the ball with exceptional athletes at QB. Great idea.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Just a reminder to folks that Kansas is that ninth conference game for the rest of the Big 12 that - supposedly - is why the SEC has this post-season advantage.

In the last three years, Kansas has lost to both S Dakota St and SE Missouri St.

But something about "conference games cupcakes something something Alabama..."
This is an interesting point about Kansas being a cupcake but counting as a Power 5. I think any Power 5 team who has a losing conference record over a five year period should not count as Power 5. If Kansas and Vanderbilt can't at least go 22-22 or 20-20 (break even) then they are obviously not Power 5 worthy.

For Top 10 ranking only (I am not advocating kicking them out of P5 conferences) they should not "count" as P5 wins and just count as a win. After all, Kansas, Oregon State, Colorado, Vandy, Purdue and etc. would qualify as cupcakes the past five years and beating up on Kansas would be no different than beating up on Southern Miss.

Brent Bielema looked awfully good as a HC in the Big 10 West. LOL. He would look like the HC at Arkansas had he played in the Big 10 East. This is my point, playing cupcake P5 makes for good looking stats -- but were they really that good?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.