Poll: HOW the BCS should be?

Should the BCS reward the BCS TOP 10 only?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I voted not sure. Knowing Alabama's history kind of softens my stance on schools like NIU getting a chance to play big time programs. I understand the arguments against them and agree with them, but we were there once.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
...we were there once.
Yes and no. It's apples and oranges to compare the time when a sport is beginning to a time (100 years later) when the sport is well-established -- numerous teams were in Alabama's boat at the time. Also, discriminating against teams due to regional bias is not the same as discriminating against teams because of SOS bias.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I voted "No" by mistake. Looking at the poll, my mind read the question "Is the BCS fair".

At any rate, bowl match ups have never been what they could be.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What these schools lack is the money necessary to keep great coaches.
And primarily, they lack the patience to develop the local fan support that will bring them the money they need.

For example, NIU had average 2011 home attendance of 19K, which places them around #8 in the FCS (not FBS) attendance list behind the likes of Appalachian State, James Madison, Montana, Yale, Jackson State, Old Dominion and Delaware. Heck, South Alabama (new football program) averaged around 18.5K -- just two slots below where NIU would be in the FCS attendance list.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No - it would not have been even close to possible. Most bowls had contracts with conferences. The Rose Bowl would have been the exact same game, but the rest would have been very different from the games that you laid out.

The SEC had contracts with something like 10 bowls. SEC teams had to go to those bowls, even if a better bowl opportunity became available.
My point is -- is that beyond 1 and 2 -- the rest should try to pair up the best matchups as possible......

I didn't say it should be those games specifically - I was just offering some ideas, i'm saying that you can work with the Big 4 (Fiesta, Rose, Sugar and Orange) and their alignments and have made this work.

I think the SEC can put a clause in a contract with the Cap One, Peach, Cotton and Gator to say -- you get SEC 2, 3, 4 and 5 -- UNLESS they are invited to a BIG 4 Game....

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Yes and no. It's apples and oranges to compare the time when a sport is beginning to a time (100 years later) when the sport is well-established -- numerous teams were in Alabama's boat at the time. Also, discriminating against teams due to regional bias is not the same as discriminating against teams because of SOS bias.
I agree the situation is very different. They always are. It just softens my stance a little. SOS bias comes into play when teams cannot increase their SOS due to inability to schedule stronger opponents. I am not saying that is the case here. I am not sure who they have tried to schedule out of conference.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree the situation is very different. They always are. It just softens my stance a little. SOS bias comes into play when teams cannot increase their SOS due to inability to schedule stronger opponents.
Not one team is stuck playing a conference schedule - all are able to go independent in order to schedule whoever they wish to play.

But that's risky, takes guts and determination. Why do all that when you can just whine about an 'unfair system' until people throw you an undeserved bone just so you'll shut up?

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
FSU definitely deserved it the BCS. They won their conference and also proved that they were a quality team by hanging tough with Florida.

NIU being in there was a joke. The sports media and pollsters conspired to jump them way too many places off of their win against Kent St., much like they conspired against Georgia in 2007.

I am really looking forward burying the BCS six feet under ground after next season. I think how it will be once it is gone will be the most fair.

But, yes, they did a great job with the title game. ;)

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Not one team is stuck playing a conference schedule - all are able to go independent in order to schedule whoever they wish to play.. But that's risky, takes guts and determination.
Probably too risky in today's environment. I respect BYU for trying it (even though SOS was probably not the motivation), but my bet is they jump right back in a conference as soon as a decent offer is available.

Why do all that when you can just whine about an 'unfair system' until people throw you an undeserved bone just so you'll shut up?
I'm not sure NIU falls into the category of say BSU if that is what you mean. I don't see any level of pressure from their program to be considered elite. They just won and were there when the system put them there.

Again, I don't necessarily believe they "deserved" to be there, or really have a solid opinion on whether the BCS should have been arranged in a way that allowed it. I just have some empathy.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The PTB are going about this all wrong. Before they "fix" the way an FBS champion is crowned, they should first "fix" the FBS. There are way, way too many teams in the FBS. There are 120+ teams in the FBS. There are more FBS teams than than FCS teams. The FCS playoffs started with four teams, what is it going too be next year...24 ? If the NCAA simply raised the minimum attendance requirements to 40K they could cull half the FBS teams. If they raised it to 50K, they could cull two-thirds. Games like NIU-FSU wouldn't happen in the first place because they'd be in different divisions. Teams like Alabama and Akron shouldn't be playing for the same crown anymore than a 250 lb. heavyweight should be boxing a 110 lb. flyweight for a boxing crown.
If one-third of the FBS teams are left...that's 40 teams. It's a lot easier to form a playoff with 40 teams than 120. Now the NCAA is trying too figure out how to form some sort of playoff and be "fair" to the 80 teams that shouldn't even be there in the first place.

I know a lot of schools wouldn't like it, but as Si would say..."That's the way it is...Jack". hahaha

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I voted not sure. Knowing Alabama's history kind of softens my stance on schools like NIU getting a chance to play big time programs. I understand the arguments against them and agree with them, but we were there once.
When ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.