Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
When should Alabama have won easily and lost in J-H? Not once. Actually, Bama has played over their heads more than not: 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003 come to mind. IMO, only 2005 and 2017 have they played a poor game. They barely escaped in 2009 but that was the only really close call. They've only played them 14 times. AU was fortunate to play 6 of those 14 games while Bama had crippling sanctions.

Richt had a 5-3 record in J-H. I don't remember one upset, in fact, UGA probably upset AU a time or two. AU is 29-20 vs P5 teams in J-H since 2008, Bama is 41-4 in B-D.
Thing is no one's quite sure what to make of Auburn yet, and there's a lot of football to be played between now and our final home stretch.

We have the tools to be very good and challenge for the west. Whether we pull it all together is still up in the air.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Thing is no one's quite sure what to make of Auburn yet, and there's a lot of football to be played between now and our final home stretch.

We have the tools to be very good and challenge for the west. Whether we pull it all together is still up in the air.
I agree with most of what you say. I do think this version of Alabama "could" be too good for even a "very good" AU to legitimately compete for the West. But everything "is still up in the air".

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.
Weird things happen in JHS

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’ve said it since he got there: any offense that depends more on the defense not executing than it does on the offense executing is doomed to fail. When the SEC began to lock down fundamentals the sledding got much tougher for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

???????

2009 - 21 points - that included a bit of early razzle dazzle and, oh yeah, a break the week before

2010 - 28 points.....a team that averaged 41.2 ppg and was in the game mostly because of Alabama O mistakes....and oh yeah, a break the week before

2011 - 0 points for the Malzahn offense (they had a fumble recovery TD and a kickoff return TD)

2013 - 34 points (13 in the final 31 seconds), and again won because of Alabama OFFENSIVE mistakes.....and oh yeah, a break the week before

2014 - 44 points (okay, I'll give him this one, he lit us up.....and still lost)

2015 - 13 points, and that lone touchdown had nothing to do with sensational play-calling, it was a lucky grab

Kirby Goes to UGA

2016 - 7 points

2017, game 1 - 40 points
2017, game 2 - 7 points

2018 - 10 points

so.....Gus has faced Kirby ten times and lost seven.

He's been shut out once, topped 28 points 3 times, and held under twenty FIVE times.

(Even if you want to use the argument, "But all those 5 stars at Alabama," fact is that 3 of those 5 below twenty games were at UGA).

In other words, he's not even an offensive genius against Kirby Smart.

One can reasonably argue that Auburn's better showings during the prime era of the dynasty owe as much to extra rest/recovery as they do whatever alleged genius Gus is.

I just don't think he's nearly as good as what they're paying him. I think they should have let him flee rather than fear the fallout, because I think they could hire a better coach in a snap. Not as exciting an offensive guy, no.

But they'd trade that for winning more games, too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
???????

2009 - 21 points - that included a bit of early razzle dazzle and, oh yeah, a break the week before

2010 - 28 points.....a team that averaged 41.2 ppg and was in the game mostly because of Alabama O mistakes....and oh yeah, a break the week before

2011 - 0 points for the Malzahn offense (they had a fumble recovery TD and a kickoff return TD)

2013 - 34 points (13 in the final 31 seconds), and again won because of Alabama OFFENSIVE mistakes.....and oh yeah, a break the week before

2014 - 44 points (okay, I'll give him this one, he lit us up.....and still lost)

2015 - 13 points, and that lone touchdown had nothing to do with sensational play-calling, it was a lucky grab

Kirby Goes to UGA

2016 - 7 points

2017, game 1 - 40 points
2017, game 2 - 7 points

2018 - 10 points

so.....Gus has faced Kirby ten times and lost seven.

He's been shut out once, topped 28 points 3 times, and held under twenty FIVE times.

(Even if you want to use the argument, "But all those 5 stars at Alabama," fact is that 3 of those 5 below twenty games were at UGA).

In other words, he's not even an offensive genius against Kirby Smart.

One can reasonably argue that Auburn's better showings during the prime era of the dynasty owe as much to extra rest/recovery as they do whatever alleged genius Gus is.

I just don't think he's nearly as good as what they're paying him. I think they should have let him flee rather than fear the fallout, because I think they could hire a better coach in a snap. Not as exciting an offensive guy, no.

But they'd trade that for winning more games, too.
I keep hearing that and even asked this question in another thread. No responses, so any ideas?

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Isn't he more of a pro-set QB? Another one for Gus to mis-manage...

Insanity...doing the same thing over and again...
expecting a different result...:pDT_nzd:

on TideFans.com

This could mean that neither QB worked out as a dual threat QB (like Nick Mashall) and this is his best shot at QB production. If this is the case then Auburns season may be disappointing on the offense side of things and does not bode well for Gus.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm no recruiting guru but I thought Nix was supposed to be a dual threat QB? He might be more of a pocket passer than a great runner, but if he has wheels at all he can be a weapon in Gus's offense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm no recruiting guru but I thought Nix was supposed to be a dual threat QB? He might be more of a pocket passer than a great runner, but if he has wheels at all he can be a weapon in Gus's offense.
Stidham had wheels but is no where near the athlete needed for the Gus offense. Same thing with Nix. Sure, he can scramble here and there but you don't have to account for him on every play like a Nick Marshall..

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
By the end of September the fam will have dubbed him Bo Cam and they'll have the greatest quarterback in AU history set for a four year run with at least two heismans. If they are able to whittle together a running game to keep defenses honest and at home, they will have enough to contend and more importantly keep the fam from spending too much time thinking about why they fired Leath.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.