Link: Soren Petro still has Clemson at #1.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. Ask anyone who the champion from 2003 was and they’ll say LSU, except for USC fans.
Outside of the SEC, pretty much everyone believes that it was a split championship. I am not saying that they are right or wrong - just pointing out the reality of the situation. The AP poll is very highly respected, even by SEC fans. Alabama has a bunch of AP trophies in your trophy cases, displayed very proudly.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
If they decide to crown a different champion, that team would still be considered co-champions by pretty much everyone.
Maybe. If so, I’ll be in the minority.

ADs of FBS institutions had all agreed to play by BCS rules and now CFP rules. As long as the institutions agree that’s how they’ll decide, that’s good enough for me. No such agreement prior to BCS.

So for me, AP mattered prior to BCS and so long as they were a part of it. For me, no split champions in 03. LSU earned it outright as far as I’m concerned.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's hope it doesn't happen, because if Alabama (or OSU, or any other school) was awarded the AP #1 vote without having won the CFP, they would have a parade and throw a party and celebrate the championship.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I guess we’re all UCF, huh? Well not me. But I was always a strong BCS proponent, and believed at the time that USC wasn’t one of the top 2 teams. And prior to 03, the AP had also agreed to follow the BCS lead. So when they threw their hissy fit over USC, they lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I guess that makes me biased. But it also makes me not UCF.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess we’re all UCF, huh? Well not me. But I was always a strong BCS proponent, and believed at the time that USC wasn’t one of the top 2 teams. And prior to 03, the AP had also agreed to follow the BCS lead. So when they threw their hissy fit over USC, they lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I guess that makes me biased. But it also makes me not UCF.
Nope - Colley Matrix is not the AP Poll. You cannot equate the 2003 USC claim to the UCF claim and maintain credibility.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Nope - Colley Matrix is not the AP Poll. You cannot equate the 2003 USC claim to the UCF claim and maintain credibility.
Don’t really give a hoot who does or does not find me credible. It’s simply my opinion: since the AP pulled out of the BCS, the AP is no more credible than the Colley Matrix. Feel free to disagree.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Speaking of hissy fits...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Alabama has a bunch of AP trophies in your trophy cases, displayed very proudly.
That’s not an apples to apples comparison though. At the time we won those AP titles, that was the system in place. Now we have the playoffs, and the AP is not part of the system, plain and simple. The AP poll (and all others really) died in 1998.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That’s not an apples to apples comparison though. At the time we won those AP titles, that was the system in place. Now we have the playoffs, and the AP is not part of the system, plain and simple. The AP poll (and all others really) died in 1998.
If you don't think Alabama would celebrate an AP-only championship as a NC just as they do the BCS or CFP, just look at 1941...

It would be claimed without hesitation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Like I said, let's just hope it never comes to that. And I apologize for the credibility remark. I get that it is just your opinion and that was out of line.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Like I said, let's just hope it never comes to that.
It sort of already did last year with UCF. Obviously the AP has a better pedigree than the Lassie thing, but I don’t think any serious person could consider someone a champion when they didn’t make the playoffs. (I assume we’re talking about a team not making the playoffs but still being crowned co-champions. Crowning a team who made the playoffs but doesn’t win is even more ludicrous)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think most of us probably feel this way.

I'm just saying that UA would claim it without hesitation, whether any of us did or not.
Yep - the school would claim it, and the PTB in the sport would recognize it. Whether or not the fans get behind it might depend on the circumstances. I can imagine scenarios in which I would support a split championship if a team was seriously slighted when left out of the CFP.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.