News Article: Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am sure Mr. Bower did some trash talking. That hardly mitigates his being beat to death.
Two points here:
1- one article I read stated that the victim was (sucker) punched once, fell and hit his head, which eventually caused his death. One punch does qualify as being 'beat to death', I suppose, but is really more of a freak accident.
2- this is really more non-sports related, but this is why I content that if you put your hands on another man, you better be prepared for whatever comes your way. People dying from striking their heads after being knocked unconscious isn't as uncommon as some think.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Police have not said specifically what prompted the attack, but the police chief told WDSU's Michael Vinsanau that the fight was not over LSU-Alabama game. The Chief said the fight began over an undisclosed incident involving Bowers' niece, who was intoxicated.

Bowers' daughter, Alexandria Bowers, told NOLA.com that she, her boyfriend, her father and her female cousin were at the Ponchatoula Pub to watch Saturday night's LSU-Alabama game. Witnesses told the daughter that a man took issue with her cousin at the bar, at which point the two men approached her father.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/07/alabama-lsu-fan-dies-bar-fight-arrests

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Two points here:
1- one article I read stated that the victim was (sucker) punched once, fell and hit his head, which eventually caused his death. One punch does qualify as being 'beat to death', I suppose, but is really more of a freak accident.
2- this is really more non-sports related, but this is why I content that if you put your hands on another man, you better be prepared for whatever comes your way. People dying from striking their heads after being knocked unconscious isn't as uncommon as some think.
Then it becomes voluntary manslaughter and a number of lives are altered forever...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
No matter what started it, to lose a life for anything like this is just nuts. Like road rage, is someone talking trash or cutting you off really worth a life? A split second of stupidity cost one man his life and may cost 1 or more their freedom. Was what ever happened worth it? if you cannot hold you liquor, quit drinking before it ruins your life and others lives. JEEZ stupid is just stupid.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It is never okay to rush to judgement. Never. But I agree that if this was about the game, no matter what this man might have said, those who beat him need to be held accountable.
THIS. I said on this board last week that I feared for the safety of our fans down there. No idea who started what but it is done now. As for me? I would have used discretion, and stayed away from any bar in that town. Especially under the given circumstances.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I know that the article says it wasn't related to the game, but you kinda have to wonder if it didn't cross their minds with all the public furor and insinuations/accusations being thrown about

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was in Tuscaloosa watching the game at Egan’s. So I don’t know. But triangulating all the information at hand, I’d say it went down something like this:

Bama fans are decked out in colors, in an LSU bar, and everybody of both loyalties has been drinking. Some more than others, but all have had a gracious plenty.

Female cousin is one of the drunker ones, and is running her mouth. The local LSU fans are already doing a slow burn over #8, and are in no mood to hear the trash talk. But it’s coming from a woman, and in what passes for chivalry in Cajun country, they elect to confront the first male associate of said drunk female they can find.

He’s also wearing crimson, and that doesn’t calm the situation. They demand that he shut up the trash talker....I’m sure interspersed with a lot of sexual vulgarity.

Elder Alabama fan responds in kind, and LSU fan escalates with what turns out to be the fatal punch.

The fact that all parties had multiple chances to de-escalate doesn’t change the character of what ended up happening...it wasn’t a freak accident. It was the culmination of several people making several consecutive bad decisions.

The victim is dead. The puncher’s life is ruined. The puncher’s accomplice might or might not have his own set of problems, and at least two families will feel the effects for decades.

And not to make light of a tragedy, but on my wedding night, I had a number of things on my mind, none of which had the first thing to do with drinking in a bar. Why was the groom there in the first place?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And, BTW, what on earth would you expect local LEO to say about it, that a man was attacked in Cajun territory for wearing crimson? Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining, when a guy is there in a bar wearing crimson...
IIRC, the victim's own daughter has also stated it had nothing to do with the game.

Also, one of the attackers' FB page shows him with his KY and Bama gear.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Brother. nephew and I were at the game in BR, walked a good 2 miles to catch Uber ride after game, rough part of town east of stadium, no bar stops though.

Everyone let down but no obscenities or loud mouths directed at us as we were all decked out in Bama gear.

If you show a little humility and act like you've been there, chances are slimmer anything bad happens. My 2 cents.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
couple thoughts - I agree with the post above asking why you're barroom brawling on your wedding night. Priorities, man ! And my son attended the 2012 game in Tiger Stadium, the Yeldon screen game. I've never been treated better on the road than we were post-game. We didn't whoop it up, which certainly helped.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If you show a little humility and act like you've been there
I was screamed at and taunted after an LSU win at work when I lived in N.O, by an LSU fan that had never spoke to me before their win. I was taken aback. I'd have talked football with him any time had I known he was a fan.
Some LSU fans harbor a great deal of animosity toward the Tide and their fans.

I wore an Alabama ball cap much of the time during those years. It was shocking how confrontational he was.

So...as far as I'm concerned if it quacks like a duck....

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The chief added that Bowers' niece was reportedly "agitating" the situation and was removed from the bar before the fight but couldn't say how that may have factored into the altercation. It's believed Bowers was arguing with 27-year-old Azia Crockett when a second person, 24-year-old Ryan Anthony, "blindsided" him. Both men then allegedly proceeded to beat Bowers while he was on the floor.
That sure does sound like the Bama fan was sucker punch to me.

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/bama-fan-beaten-in-bar-fight-after-lsu-game-dies-in-hospital-tuesday/

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Used to live in Hammond. Ponchatoula is a little burg right next to Hammond. That area is full of good ole boys and Cajuns ( although not technically in Acadiana section of Louisiana ), the vast majority of whom will be L8U fans. Not a good place to be if you`ve had a few, are a fan of another school (particularly us ) and are not a gracious winner. That would be a set up for disaster, trust me.
The mixture of Creole is strong in SE Louisiana, but they all self identify as Cajuns, actual lineage notwithstanding.
So the guy who blindsided him had just married the sister of the guy who was arguing with Bowers, only hours earlier.
Boy he’s gonna have a great honeymoon in prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.