Greenbow, Alabama
If this scenario actually played out then I expect the rankings to be this:

1. UA
2. TOSU
3. OU/WVU
4. ND
5. Clemson
6. UCF

I’ve been saying since 2015 that SOS doesn’t matter as much anymore, but in this Cinderella story it does. The top 3 (UA, tOSU, and OU/WVU) all will have a clear advantage in sos than 4-6. 4&5 have a clear one over 6. So it comes down to ND and Clemson. ND is going to have a clear one over Clemson.
I agree with this.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the SECCG features Bama and UGA both at 12-0, does the loser get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Not likely if there are six undefeateds.

This is why I want to get rid of the SECCG. Why play it when you can take the extra week to get ready for the playoffs?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Depends on what happens elsewhere but I bet not. In this scenario no way.
Right now how I see it-

1) SEC wins out they are in
2) TOSU wins out they are in
3) OU/WVU 1 loss or less champ they are in
4) ND wins out they are in
- - - - - - ———————————————

5) Clemson needs a little help to get in
6) SEC 1 loss runnner up needs 2 things above to bust to get in
7) PAC 12 1 loss champ needs 3 things above to bust to get in
8) 1 loss PSU needs 4 things
9) UCF needs 5 things.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

Another scenario...
Let's say Bama, Ohio State and Oklahoma are in. The rest have two or more losses. #1 Alabama at has just beat a 12-0 Georgia in SECCG. This could put Bama at #1, OSU at 2, Oklahoma at 3 and maybe Georgia claiming the last spot at 4. That would mean we face Georgia again the very next game albeit a month away.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Another scenario...
Let's say Bama, Ohio State and Oklahoma are in. The rest have two or more losses. #1 Alabama at has just beat a 12-0 Georgia in SECCG. This could put Bama at #1, OSU at 2, Oklahoma at 3 and maybe Georgia claiming the last spot at 4. That would mean we face Georgia again the very next game albeit a month away.
Depends on a few factors.

1) how close was the game
2) what is the SOS of tOSU and OU
3) who is #5 and who were their losses

I tend to believe that in your scenario that they would pick the weaker conference out of the Big XII and Big 10 and place them #4th and move UGA to 2 or 3.

Or let’s say #5 is a 2 loss WVU whose 2 losses were to OU under weird circumstances. But Bama pummels UGA. WVU will have probably have more quality wins than UGA since UA and UGA share a lot of each other’s toughest opponents and WVU would have a strong case for that #4 spot.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Another scenario...
Auburn 2017 says, "Hello!"

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

The way things look now I don't think it's possible with OSU, Clemson, OU, and ND undefeated. It would take a loss by at least two of those teams for the Bama-UGA loser to sneak in.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Not likely if there are six undefeateds.

This is why I want to get rid of the SECCG. Why play it when you can take the extra week to get ready for the playoffs?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
What happens this year if 6 teams go undefeated?
1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. OU
5. ND
6. UCF
Who goes to the playoffs out of those 6?
UCF is out right off the bat...

Bama, tOSU, and OU will have the most quality wins.

The Bubble is between ND and Clemson and both have garbage schedules but honestly the ACC is so putrid I could see Clemson getting snubbed if they continue to struggle-win.

So I'd say the Bracket would be as follows for the given scenario:

1) Alabama vs. 4) Notre Dame
2) tOSU vs. 3)Oklahoma

Crying on the Outside:

5) Clemson and 6) UCF

Hopefully CNS votes Clemson 4th showing the kind of genuine class that Dabo lacked in voting us 5th last year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My dream bracket today is:

1. Alabama vs. 4. Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl

2. Ohio State vs. 3. Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl

We get revenge on the Sooners in the semi, and then after Ohio State beats Notre Dame we get revenge on them in the title game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
My dream bracket today is:

1. Alabama vs. 4. Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl

2. Ohio State vs. 3. Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl

We get revenge on the Sooners in the semi, and then after Ohio State beats Notre Dame we get revenge on them in the title game.
I realllllllly want to play Ohio State this year. Besides that I don't really care. I don't really want to play Clemson again but I think it would be fun to beat them again. I never want to play OU really because my soon to be wife went there and I just prefer us to never play when it matters

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If ND has a higher SOS at the end of the year than Bama then I would be shocked.
I would be apoplectic. Unless everyone else in the SEC totally tanks, but I don’t think they all will.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I've seen this scenario play out so many times in college football. Halfway through the season, we've got half a dozen undefeated teams with an argument as to getting a major bowl invite, or with an argument for the crown of National Champ. The playoffs settle a lot of this now, and thank goodness for it.

Usually, by November 1, that half dozen is down to 2-4 teams at best. And it sort of works itself out. It is VERY hard to win all 12 regular season games. AND a Conference title game. Bama has been dynasty above all others since 2009 (and I would argue even 2008), and only finished undefeated that one time, after 13 games: 2009.

I predict we have two undefeated teams after championship Saturday, and maybe before.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've seen this scenario play out so many times in college football. Halfway through the season, we've got half a dozen undefeated teams with an argument as to getting a major bowl invite, or with an argument for the crown of National Champ. The playoffs settle a lot of this now, and thank goodness for it.

Usually, by November 1, that half dozen is down to 2-4 teams at best. And it sort of works itself out. It is VERY hard to win all 12 regular season games. AND a Conference title game. Bama has been dynasty above all others since 2009 (and I would argue even 2008), and only finished undefeated that one time, after 13 games: 2009.

I predict we have two undefeated teams after championship Saturday, and maybe before.
We were undefeated after 13 games (14 really) in 2016 also, but I get your point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.