JessN: Missouri preview: Banged-up Tide could get a test from high-flying Tigers

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Missouri preview: Banged-up Tide could get a test from high-flying Tigers
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 11th, 2018 04:27 AM

Although the Missouri Tigers come to Tuscaloosa riding a two-game losing streak, there is an uneasiness about this matchup that has its roots both in the history of the Alabama-Missouri series and also the high-wire act Alabama Crimson Tide has put on through the season’s first month […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Every time I read about the opposing team's kickers being so much better than ours I feel the urge to puke. Anyway, thanks for the analysis Jess.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
"Whether Alabama continues to call designed quarterback runs for Tagovailoa is another matter entirely. If the fans had their way, those pages would not just be removed from the playbook, but burned, cremated and the ashes spread across the seven seas."

Duh, yeah! ;)

Good, thorough job of previewing the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks again. Mizzou doesn't have a single LB who would start ahead of any of your best 6, probably best 8. It's not like we don't know what these guys are capable of. We saw all of these guys play at a high level last year. So they have proven it. They just have to get back to it.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Thanks again. Mizzou doesn't have a single LB who would start ahead of any of your best 6, probably best 8. It's not like we don't know what these guys are capable of. We saw all of these guys play at a high level last year. So they have proven it. They just have to get back to it.
While true their on-field performance just hasn't been the same. I agree with Jess that after this many games you just can't rate on potential any more. Physically they blow Mizzou out of the water but if they are consistently in the wrong place or have their guys in the wrong alignment then there's very little the athletic freakishness can do. It stings to see a position group like LB, which has been one of the most consistently sterling group of the Saban era, rated lower than a Mizzou group. But they play consistently and with confidence. If our group can do that this Saturday, goodnight Gracie.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write up. Tua does not need to run the ball. Our defense needs to play it's best of the year so far. Drew Lock may have had a few bad games, but he is still a good QB.

I hope we have no more injuries!

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Dang you, Jess, for making me look up the meaning of atrophied before my second cup of coffee.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
While true their on-field performance just hasn't been the same. I agree with Jess that after this many games you just can't rate on potential any more. Physically they blow Mizzou out of the water but if they are consistently in the wrong place or have their guys in the wrong alignment then there's very little the athletic freakishness can do. It stings to see a position group like LB, which has been one of the most consistently sterling group of the Saban era, rated lower than a Mizzou group. But they play consistently and with confidence. If our group can do that this Saturday, goodnight Gracie.
Maybe it’s just me, but I have this weird feeling the defense shows up Saturday...... probably tired of being
questioned and with a point to prove

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Jess et al,
Is it possible that the reason our defensive stats aren't what we would like is because we get so far ahead so quickly that the incentive to shut an opponent down is simply not there? Something is causing this disconnect between our super athletes and their performance. When I look at personnel, it seems to me that if we had to perform at a higher level, we would.
Isn't there some sort of axiom that a team has a tendency to play to the level of the competition?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. Great job as always. I do feel that the defense will show up Saturday night. Though, I have been thinking that for several games now...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jess et al,
Is it possible that the reason our defensive stats aren't what we would like is because we get so far ahead so quickly that the incentive to shut an opponent down is simply not there? Something is causing this disconnect between our super athletes and their performance. When I look at personnel, it seems to me that if we had to perform at a higher level, we would.
This is happening now. When the game is in doubt, Alabama has the best scoring defense in the country.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I remember when, after one of the first two weeks of the season, we laughed at Ole $i$$ for allowing a team to score 31 points on them in their big win...

I think now we understand how those things happen, and how the Big 12 was built.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The key to our win is to keep Tua healthy.
Let him pass until they commit to stopping the pass then run it down their throats.

This season we have let off in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
We need to play lights out for 4 quarters.
We have been allowing throw away TDs.
NO MORE MR.NICE GUY. RUN UP THE SCORE.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Let him pass until they commit to stopping the pass then run it down their throats.

Amen....... make them quit

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I understand why CNS lets off the offensive gas and subs Jalen in for Tua, but when this happens it send a message to the defense that we've got the game won.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.