1 point safety in the Fiesta Bowl last night?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I saw most of the game last night, but as luck would have it, I wasn't watching when the play occurred that resulted in an unheard of 1 point safety. So, how exactly did Oregon pull that off?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I saw most of the game last night, but as luck would have it, I wasn't watching when the play occurred that resulted in an unheard of 1 point safety. So, how exactly did Oregon pull that off?
KSU recovered a blocked extra point in the field of play, but the ball carrier then retreated into the end zone. The ball carrier then lateraled to another KSU player in the end zone and that player was subsequently tackled by Oregon while still in the end zone.

Kansas State blocked an extra point. When they recovered the ball and tried to advance it, they actually backed up into the endzone and Oregon tackled them there... resulting in the safety.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Extra point was blocked. Kansas st defender gets ball in inzone. Player try's to run it out of inzone only to get tackled before he does. Counts as 1 point instead of two point safty. Very rare.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Extra point was blocked. Kansas st defender gets ball in inzone. Player try's to run it out of inzone only to get tackled before he does. Counts as 1 point instead of two point safty. Very rare.
I think the key factor is that the blocked extra point was first recovered in the field of play (not the end zone).

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
How rare was that 1 point safety?

@darrenrovell: Wynn bookmaker Johnny Avello just told me if he were to post a 1-point safety prop, he'd put it at 50,000 to 1.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Agreed... and the lateral back to another player in the endzone.
I don't think the lateral is really relevant though. IIRC, the KSU player who recovered the block in the field of play had already retreated back into the endzone. If he had been tackled in the endzone before he lateraled, it would have still been a safety.

Do college teams have to annouce whether they're going for 1 or 2 points? I wonder if it would have been a 2 point safety if Oregon had fumbled during a 2 point conversion and a KSU player recovered the ball in the field of play and was tackled after he retreated into the endzone.

I don't think the lateral is really relevant though. IIRC, the KSU player who recovered the block in the field of play had already retreated back into the endzone. If he had been tackled in the endzone before he lateraled, it would have still been a safety.

Do college teams have to annouce whether they're going for 1 or 2 points? I wonder if it would have been a 2 point safety if Oregon had fumbled during a 2 point conversion and a KSU player recovered the ball in the field of play and was tackled after he retreated into the endzone.
A safety on a conversion, whether it's a kick or a 2 point, will result in 1 point... unless it's the team doing the conversion and somehow they get tackled in their own endzone... which would be a next to impossible scenario (Outside of saying the ball getting snapped too high and somehow going the length of the field into the other endzone).

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
How rare was that 1 point safety?

@darrenrovell: Wynn bookmaker Johnny Avello just told me if he were to post a 1-point safety prop, he'd put it at 50,000 to 1.
I've never seen or heard of it in 50+ years. Brad Nessler commented he had now covered two games where it occurred, but he didn't indicate what the earlier game was.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've never seen or heard of it in 50+ years. Brad Nessler commented he had now covered two games where it occurred, but he didn't indicate what the earlier game was.
Think he mentioned a Texas/Texas A&M game. Not sure the year, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.