How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I totally agree with that assessment. They have fewer weaknesses on defense than anyone else I've seen. If their offense were more consistant look out.
The two best defenses in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the nation are Alabama and LSU.

The national championship game was played in Baton Rouge four weeks ago.

Let me ask you this. If you were given two choices, "You have to win one game to play Notre Dame for the national title. You can play Georgia in Atlanta or LSU in Baton Rouge.". Who you gonna play?

I am totally almost unbelievably amazed by this almost fear of Georgia and this unbelievable admiration of a Florida team that was absolutely lucky to beat Louisiana-Lafayette and who actually and truly struggled to beat Jacksonville State.

sip

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
A good many people think that our key to the game is getting pressure on Aaron Murray.
I'm one of them.

So, since we haven't gotten good pressure on QBs this season, what do we do?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is why I'm not picking Alabama. When we rush four, our pressure is ineffectual and the long developing routes open up. When we rush 5 or more, our DBs are on an island and somebody gets beat off the snap. The point drives in further when I really don't think we saw improvement in that area against WCU or Auburn...their teams were just so bad they couldn't exploit it. In fact, I saw these problems early in the season against Arkansas, Mizzou, and Tennessee but they couldn't play a complete game - offense, defense, special teams - to effectively exploit it.

So now we play another team that has a defense good enough to keep us from running away early and maybe even shut us down pretty well...do I think the defense can stand on it's own without playing with a multiple score lead? I just have my doubts.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So now we play another team that has a defense good enough to keep us from running away early and maybe even shut us down pretty well...do I think the defense can stand on it's own without playing with a multiple score lead? I just have my doubts.

They have a better seconday, but definitely not a better rush defense. If we can get running and STICK to the run, we can control the game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They have a better seconday, but definitely not a better rush defense. If we can get running and STICK to the run, we can control the game.
Playing two triple option teams is going to hurt your rushing statistics. Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky had success rushing, Ole Miss and Florida did not. I lean towards throwing option attacks because they're so divergent from anything we do offensively. It is tough to gauge Georgia because they've had so many early season suspensions and the inevitable "getting up to speed" period once they all returned to the field. They're also incredibly emotionally driven.

Our biggest advantage is probably the discipline factor: Georgia is a flat-out bad penalty team while Alabama is a minimal penalty yard team.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Remember when we were seven point under dogs, on the road to that awesomely overly talented Matt Stafford led black out Georgia team in Athens.

My God, how did we ever recover from that total beat down they gave us?

Hopefully Coach Saban has improved enough that he can somehow figure out how to compete with a big game genius like Mark Richt.

Otherwise, we just have to hope they play their worst game of the year and we play above our head.

If they turn it over ten times, have fifteen holding penalties, and nine unsportsmanlike conduct penalties we might have a chance.

Otherwise, I just hope we're able to limp back to Tuscaloosa with some semblance of pride because we are playing a FAR FAR superior
team this Saturday.

Give me a break. I'm done with this micro management of the best team in college football. We're gonna kick Georgia's ...!

"Does Barrett Jones Lift His Left Finger A Half Inch Off The Ground Before Snapping The Ball In A Shotgun Formation When It's Third And Less Than Three When We're Playing On The Road Against An SEC East Opponent When We Played An Out OF Conference Opponent The Week Before Playing An SEC West Opponent Six Weeks Before The Basketball Team Starts Three Guards Instead Of Two Forwards?"

Shall not visit this thread again. AGANE...in my British accent. :)

You guys have a great night.

sip

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Playing two triple option teams is going to hurt your rushing statistics. Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky had success rushing, Ole Miss and Florida did not. I lean towards throwing option attacks because they're so divergent from anything we do offensively. It is tough to gauge Georgia because they've had so many early season suspensions and the inevitable "getting up to speed" period once they all returned to the field. They're also incredibly emotionally driven.

Our biggest advantage is probably the discipline factor: Georgia is a flat-out bad penalty team while Alabama is a minimal penalty yard team.

Fine, take out the last two option teams. They are still giving up 135 per game average. We are giving up only 77 rushing yards a game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.