CBS Blackout on Directv...Hope this is resolved soon

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I hope your neighbor's a Bama fan!!!
I wish that were the case, but having been in the business for sometime, Off Air stations are not quite that convenient in the rural Southeast. It can be so odd as your next door neighbor just happens to live in that one spot and gets everything over the air possible and you can have the same rig next door and not get anything but the local PBS when you live out in the sticks.

Last edited:

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
I hope you neighbor's a Bama fan!!!
God has a sense of humor. I have been stuck in West TN for almost 25 years now. Fortunately when I can't make the trip back home on Game Day, I found the Tuscaloosa 102.9FM radio app for the game broadcast. I am old school that way. LOL

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm a Uverse subscriber and have been without NBC for about a month...had to watch The Open delayed on The Golf Channel. I wish there were some way to get these folks' attention...we're just pawns in their hands.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wish that were the case, but having been in the business for sometime, Off Air stations are not quite that convenient in the rural Southeast. It can be so odd as your next door neighbor just happens to live in that one spot and gets everything over the air possible and you can have the same rig next door and not get anything but the local PBS when you live out in the sticks.
Rural areas are completely different, agreed.

There's also some issues with horrible tuners (and of course antennas matter). For instance the people I set the antenna up for used a Samsung, and it's a recent model, very nice TV but it had the worst digital tuner I've seen. It would only get a handful of channels while other tuners in the area would get several times that.

Amazon recast has a nice feature in that regard. You can set it up anywhere (in wifi range) and you will get the stream via a firestick or other compatible device. So I can get some channels with that I can't get downstairs, but if you're in a rural area there might not be much you can do...

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
So true. Such is the case where I live. Roll Tide! I will figure a way to see the games, however.

SirCedricCedric

Dec 31, 2018
I cut my cord. I miss the Braves but I now go to sleep so early that it really does not matter. But for Bama games, now that I m not going, its a bar-- but screw those 8pm games

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Rural areas are completely different, agreed.

There's also some issues with horrible tuners (and of course antennas matter). For instance the people I set the antenna up for used a Samsung, and it's a recent model, very nice TV but it had the worst digital tuner I've seen. It would only get a handful of channels while other tuners in the area would get several times that.

Amazon recast has a nice feature in that regard. You can set it up anywhere (in wifi range) and you will get the stream via a firestick or other compatible device. So I can get some channels with that I can't get downstairs, but if you're in a rural area there might not be much you can do...
Just purchased me a recast and an indoor amplified antennae. Nice having local channels again and I can pause and rewind the news.

aldo

BamaNation Citizen
May 8, 2010
I didn't know anything about a blackout on CBS. I have Directv and my CBS works. Now Fox doesn't. I missed the World Cup and the all-star game because of it. It's been going on since July 3. But this is the first I heard of CBS.[/QUOTEc
Luckily, I bought equipment to get local channels over the air a few months back. I use and old e sata hard drive for my dvr and have been able to watch/record Fox programming when I need to. When a limb knocked out my fiber drop I was able to at least watch OTA channels until they ran a new fiber drop.

Ben_There

Aug 23, 2001
Pinson, Al USA
I called AT&T and complained and they took $10.00 off the bill for this month. I know $10.00 is a drop in the bucket to them but if enough people called in and complained they would soon take notice. I also told them if it was not taken care of by the end of August I was changing network. So call AT&T and cause them some problems.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
We cut off our DTV a month ago, switching to Hulu Live TV. Absolutely zero regrets.
Went to Roku and YoutubeTV in May. Zero regrets so far. DVR is a little weird, but other than that the service is flawless.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Went to Roku and YoutubeTV in May. Zero regrets so far. DVR is a little weird, but other than that the service is flawless.
I have had YouTubeTV for about a year. The DVR is definitely weird and I struggle with how it selects programs to display on my home screen. I singularly do not like the way it continues on a program when I am navigating to a different program. Navigation is a bit puzzling to me but then again I am not a gamer. I have had YouTube on my Roku for years and can see some of the good and bad from YouTube that Google built into TV. I believe Google could do a lot more with YouTube and the TV product. Overall however, it has proven to be a very dependable service.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I have had YouTubeTV for about a year. The DVR is definitely weird and I struggle with how it selects programs to display on my home screen. I singularly do not like the way it continues on a program when I am navigating to a different program. Navigation is a bit puzzling to me but then again I am not a gamer. I have had YouTube on my Roku for years and can see some of the good and bad from YouTube that Google built into TV. I believe Google could do a lot more with YouTube and the TV product. Overall however, it has proven to be a very dependable service.
Agreed. For the picture quality at this price, I can get past the oddities.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Ive been trying out different services this summer. Don’t care for Sling. Liked Direct TV Now but they jacked up my rate when the restructured their options in the spring ($35.00 to $93.00). For the sports, YouTube tv was by far the best. Plus it has all of the locals which my wife liked. Going to sign up during football season. Hulu Live in the B’ham area doesn’t have the local ABC affiliate so I would miss games I’d want to watch. You’re right about the DVR. It’s not user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
We cut off our DTV a month ago, switching to Hulu Live TV. Absolutely zero regrets.
Really liked Hulu Live too. My only knock against Hulu Live was it didn’t have 33/40 which means I’d miss some games I’d like to watch. I’m sure I could log into ESPN app and watch it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I called AT&T and complained and they took $10.00 off the bill for this month. I know $10.00 is a drop in the bucket to them but if enough people called in and complained they would soon take notice. I also told them if it was not taken care of by the end of August I was changing network. So call AT&T and cause them some problems.
I did the same and received the same...also the rep I talked with said he was figuring this weekend they would get the contracts worked out. I am sure they don't want to go into the fall without NFL or NCAA football...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.