Link: NCAA hopes barely alive, what about Alabama’s heart?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
No, I think that Cecil has seen enough of this team, but we still have to play the games. If we can keep Vandy from winning their first conference game we will be underdogs the rest of the way and would finish 16-15 going into the SECCT. Lose the first one there and wind up 16-16 after being a virtual lock for an NCAA berth and what happens? As someone else posted, to finish the regular season with a whimper four straight years in a row? There has to be something wrong there, doesn't there?

My favorite sport is Alabama baseball. For several years now we have gone into series after series pretty much knowing you will be lucky to win one game in three, and it sucks, for lack of a better word. Seriously. Now the malaise is set in in men's basketball (there are other sports, but that's for another time). Mr. Byrne has to be doing some thinking about what he envisions for the future of this program and whether or not this staff is a part of it? It's just my opinion, but I think these last five games are a job interview for this staff.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Two less than rosy articles from Cecil in a week? Not a good sign.
The one after the Florida game was much worse than this one. He's just stating the facts in this one: There's still a chance, but are you going to do what it takes to keep that chance alive?
No, I think that Cecil has seen enough of this team, but we still have to play the games. If we can keep Vandy from winning their first conference game we will be underdogs the rest of the way and would finish 16-15 going into the SECCT. Lose the first one there and wind up 16-16 after being a virtual lock for an NCAA berth and what happens? As someone else posted, to finish the regular season with a whimper four straight years in a row? There has to be something wrong there, doesn't there?

My favorite sport is Alabama baseball. For several years now we have gone into series after series pretty much knowing you will be lucky to win one game in three, and it sucks, for lack of a better word. Seriously. Now the malaise is set in in men's basketball (there are other sports, but that's for another time). Mr. Byrne has to be doing some thinking about what he envisions for the future of this program and whether or not this staff is a part of it? It's just my opinion, but I think these last five games are a job interview for this staff.

rtr
Avery's buyout is reportedly $9 million. A change isn't happening this year even if the team finishes 16-16.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Surely Byrne recognizes the damage to the program is more than $2 million per year if we keep floundering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Surely Byrne recognizes the damage to the program is more than $2 million per year if we keep floundering.
In nobody's calculations but Malthusian, er, Malzahnian math can the damage to the program be more than $9 million in buyout money...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The one after the Florida game was much worse than this one. He's just stating the facts in this one: There's still a chance, but are you going to do what it takes to keep that chance alive? Avery's buyout is reportedly $9 million. A change isn't happening this year even if the team finishes 16-16.
I agree with your assessment on the articles. The first one was aimed squarely at the team's ears about lack of effort. Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment of one more year. However, it's eight million before April, 2019 and six million thereafter. That's the only thing which may allow a replacement this year, because, IIRC, it remains at six million for the next several years, perhaps making it not worthwhile to hold on another year... Edit: I think it was nine million up to April, 2018...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree with your assessment on the articles. The first one was aimed squarely at the team's ears about lack of effort. Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment of one more year. However, it's eight million before April, 2019 and six million thereafter. That's the only thing which may allow a replacement this year, because, IIRC, it remains at six million for the next several years, perhaps making it not worthwhile to hold on another year... Edit: I think it was nine million up to April, 2018...
The only thing I could find was this USA Today list, which says $9 million as of 12/1/18. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/If it does drop to $6 million (and stays there for multiple years), have to really consider it.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Amazing how we can be such a dominant team in football but can't seem to do anything else. Nothing in basketball (men or women) nothing in baseball. Ok, our Softball team is good and so is our Gymnastics team. But we are Alabama - our expectations should be much higher than what we've accomplished in the past 10-15 years.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Amazing how we can be such a dominant team in football but can't seem to do anything else. Nothing in basketball (men or women) nothing in baseball. Ok, our Softball team is good and so is our Gymnastics team. But we are Alabama - our expectations should be much higher than what we've accomplished in the past 10-15 years.
Totally agree Bama should be competitive in all sports. I don't think it is to much to ask to be consistently in the ncaa tournament for men and women's basketball and regionals in baseball.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Maybe I am just naive, it has happened before, but I can't see Coach Johnson sticking around somewhere he isn't wanted, and would accept a deal if that is what it came down to. Personally I hope the guys get it in gear and win a few of these and at least get an NIT bid.

The incoming class is supposed to be really good.

Rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I am just naive, it has happened before, but I can't see Coach Johnson sticking around somewhere he isn't wanted, and would accept a deal if that is what it came down to. Personally I hope the guys get it in gear and win a few of these and at least get an NIT bid.

Rtr
Would have to be a complete collapse to not get a NIT bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think the first coach that gets new facilities will take the program to new heights.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Who in the world was trying to hire Avery that the AD decided to give him $9M buyout? When is the last time a coach was actually hired away from Alabama basketball? $9M buyout for a coach with zero college experience is maddening..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Rtr
Unless fundamentals, discipline and mental toughness are instilled into the incoming class we'll end up being even more disappointed because the talent will have been wasted. Again.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I know that many don't consider golf a sport, but our men's and women's golf teams are both very solid. Golf is one of the few professional sports I ever watch any more, so I really enjoy seeing our golf teams do well. Roll Tide and back to basketball!

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
You haven't been following gymnastics this year, have you? Our Gym team is NOT good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.