Surprising Numbers About a "Hot Name" Coach at New School

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Started thinking of other coaches hired in 2015 to see how they have done compared to Avery and found an interesting record about a "rising up and coming coach."

Coach A
75.2% winning percentage at school 1
57.9% winning percentage at school 2

Coach B
74.4% winning percentage at school 1
50.8% winning percentage at school 2

Anyone care to guess who the coaches are?

And by the way, Avery currently holds a 56.1% winning percentage at Alabama.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Started thinking of other coaches hired in 2015 to see how they have done compared to Avery and found an interesting record about a "rising up and coming coach."

Coach A

Coach B

Wild guess- A) Will Wade -Chattanooga to LSU B) Shaka Smart - VCU to Texas.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wild guess- A) Will Wade -Chattanooga to LSU B) Shaka Smart - VCU to Texas.
Scratch Will Wade. I forgot he took over for Smart at VCU before going to LSU.

I’m trying to think of other “up and comers” hire in 2015. I’m blank at present.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Scratch Will Wade. I forgot he took over for Smart at VCU before going to LSU.

I’m trying to think of other “up and comers” hire in 2015. I’m blank at present.
Sorry about the confusion. Only one of those is from 2015.

Coach A is Anthony Grant. Coach B is Smart. Only reason I included Grant was after seeing how stark the difference in Smart's record at VCU compared to Texas.

Both guys were highly respected when hired away from VCU. Smart is starting to get some heat in Austin after not changing the program around (doesn't help the job Chris Beard is doing at Texas Tech).

Maybe these numbers are worth considering when we suggest "let's go get [insert up and comer]" because things aren't going well? I honestly don't know. Alabama shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but we also don't want to get in constant turnover because the next hire doesn't do much, either.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
If only Wimp hadn't slapped his girlfriend........what might have been a long run of success in Bama basketball. As the late great Evel Knievel once said on a radio interview i heard on WJOX years ago - "many a great man throughout history have lost everything they worked their whole life for, over the love of a woman".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Add to the discussion......I didn't do the math myself, but someone in our forum mentioned that through his tenure at Florida thus far, Coach White is ahead of where Coach Donovan was at the same period of time. And we all know how that turned out.

Not apples to apples I realize but I guess there's a correlation to the concept of staying the course a bit. Trying to be more patient - which is never easy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Add to the discussion......I didn't do the math myself, but someone in our forum mentioned that through his tenure at Florida thus far, Coach White is ahead of where Coach Donovan was at the same period of time. And we all know how that turned out.

Not apples to apples I realize but I guess there's a correlation to the concept of staying the course a bit. Trying to be more patient - which is never easy.
In his first four seasons, Donovan went 78-49 (60.9%). So far, White is 84-49 (63.2%). Don't recall the shape of the program when Donovan arrived, but it's not like White inherited a mess.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Color me either confused or sheepish at misunderstanding - but how does Grant's hiring as assistant to Eddie Munster at OKC after he was axed at 'Bama get him rated as "a rising up and coming coach?"

Coach A

Coach B

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Color me either confused or sheepish at misunderstanding - but how does Grant's hiring as assistant to Eddie Munster at OKC after he was axed at 'Bama get him rated as "a rising up and coming coach?"
RTR91 was referring to Grant’s success at VCU prior to being hired by Alabama. At that time, Grant was considered to be one of “rising and upcoming” coaches in college basketball.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Them VCUers are definitely up-and-risers...until they somewhat predictably become "plateauers" (with Wade's status in that regard TBD...).

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Them VCUers are definitely up-and-risers...until they somewhat predictably become "plateauers" (with Wade's status in that regard TBD...).
Smart certainly feeling the heat in Austin. If they don't make the dance this year, it's only going to get louder. It's going to be interesting to see what Wade has to say when he gets on the stand in this FBI investigation into college basketball.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Smart certainly feeling the heat in Austin. If they don't make the dance this year, it's only going to get louder. It's going to be interesting to see what Wade has to say when he gets on the stand in this FBI investigation into college basketball.
Yeah, the VCUers, at least two of 'em, could go from plateauers to craterers in the blink of Anthony Grant's tie what with Shaka smartin' and Wade going into a stall on the witness stand!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In his first four seasons, Donovan went 78-49 (60.9%). So far, White is 84-49 (63.2%). Don't recall the shape of the program when Donovan arrived, but it's not like White inherited a mess.
Thanks - I just checked and Coach Donovan's last season ('14-'15) at Florida, he went 16-17 overall and 8-10 in conference play. But.....the previous seasons were very good ones: 5 trips to the NCAAT with (1) Final Four, (3) Elite Eights, and (1) 1st Round appearance.

Like I said - not apples to apples to Alabama but staying the course at least worked out for us.

Good luck tonight....RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.