News Article: Breaking: Bob Stoops Retiring from Oklahoma

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
that's fine. But just remember folks say the same thing every single time a "Saban to Texas" rumor comes up, too.

"Oh, he hasn't denied it, he's using coach-speak, he's planning to bolt, blah blah blah"

But that never matters. NOTHING Stoops says is going to be believed by most people.

If the guy never comes back, his name is still going to come up in rumors every single year until he's 70.
So what do you think Stoops' legacy will be? Early on he was the revered as one of the best coaches in football. Later in he became known as "Big Game Bob".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sorry if what I posted hit home. Maybe it's a good thing. Think positive! And Happy Birthday in advance! :)
No problem, it has always been a bit of a joke I didn't think I'd make it. But it looks like I'm going to be here for a while. Actually, when I passed my dad's exact age at his death, I did feel a little weird having outlived them.

My wife and I are taking a short trip for my birthday and I'm taking a self-imposed exile from social media, internet and message boards for the duration. So don't freak out too much when I'm not here. :wink:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No problem, it has always been a bit of a joke I didn't think I'd make it. But it looks like I'm going to be here for a while. Actually, when I passed my dad's exact age at his death, I did feel a little weird having outlived them.

My wife and I are taking a short trip for my birthday and I'm taking a self-imposed exile from social media, internet and message boards for the duration. So don't freak out too much when I'm not here. :wink:
Good for you and your wife, have fun and happy early birthday.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
So what do you think Stoops' legacy will be? Early on he was the revered as one of the best coaches in football. Later in he became known as "Big Game Bob".
He was known as "Big Game Bob" early on. It became a joke later when he lost the big games.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm going to say this in defense of Stoops. His job was to compete within the Big 12, which meant competing against Texas recruits who grew up in spread systems. He adapted. The fact that his teams often struggled against stouter defenses is real criticism but ultimately you have to build your program against your conference, not potential bowl opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Who knows, but I'm surprised more top coaches don't retire after 10 years or so. Think about making $5M+ per year for 10 years and it's basically like winning the lottery. I would guess Stoops total compensation over his 18 years in Oklahoma is close to $60M - if you take into account salary and all the other perks of being a head coach at a blue blood program. I mean, at that point why in the world would someone still want to coach? Plus, I bet he stays onboard at OU in some capacity for a good chunk of change..
This is what I was thinking. Why wouldn't a man who should be very financially stable retire and enjoy the rest of his life with family, travel, or other interests? Of course, a lot of these guys enjoy the competition and are already doing what they love, so they may think why not keep doing what I love and getting paid like a lottery winner.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Wonder how Tom Herman feels after this news.
I'm sure there will be some Texas faithful who are still so obsessed with Saban that they will start a list of coaches who got Hermaned. Stoops was so afraid of our new coach that he quit before we could drop a 60 point beat down on him. Yeah, I'm sure they will start it up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is what I was thinking. Why wouldn't a man who should be very financially stable retire and enjoy the rest of his life with family, travel, or other interests? Of course, a lot of these guys enjoy the competition and are already doing what they love, so they may think why not keep doing what I love and getting paid like a lottery winner.
For some folks it's live to work, instead of work to live.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm going to say this in defense of Stoops. His job was to compete within the Big 12, which meant competing against Texas recruits who grew up in spread systems. He adapted. The fact that his teams often struggled against stouter defenses is real criticism but ultimately you have to build your program against your conference, not potential bowl opponents.

You know, I was trying to figure out who actually brought the "spread" offense to the Big 12. Stoops brought it with him to Oklahoma. His first year there, they set several passing records. Of course, Oklahoma had been a wishbone offense even throughout the 80s, until Switzer was forced out. One of the coaches after Switzer went back to the wishbone for a year but it was a disaster.

So, I was trying to remember if it was Stoops who brought the spread to the Big 12. I think it was. Mike Leach was his OC that first season before he went to Texas Tech...

But I agree with your point. He did what he had to do to win at Oklahoma.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
In my humble opinion Bob Stoops will go down as the greatest coach in Sooner history...and that's saying something. When you consider the times: limited s holarships, social media, restricted practice regulations, early NFL departure, the whole B.C.S. playoff drama, etc. Owen, Bud, or Barry never dealt with any of this. Bob's pragmatic decision to retire is classic STOOPS. There are many factors but I have been told that in the final analysis he just wanted to "live his life." His father died at 56 from heart disease and my sources tell me that he was told by doctor recently he needed to reduce his stress level. There are other factors as well but none are nefarious. He will stay on with the university in some capacity. Also, the timing is right...possible playoff team in 2017, recent facility upgrade completed, stable coaching staff, recruiting going well, and the perfect guy waiting in the wings to pass the baton to.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
In my humble opinion Bob Stoops will go down as the greatest coach in Sooner history...and that's saying something. When you consider the times: limited s holarships, social media, restricted practice regulations, early NFL departure, the whole B.C.S. playoff drama, etc. Owen, Bud, or Barry never dealt with any of this. Bob's pragmatic decision to retire is classic STOOPS. There are many factors but I have been told that in the final analysis he just wanted to "live his life." His father died at 56 from heart disease and my sources tell me that he was told by doctor recently he needed to reduce his stress level. There are other factors as well but none are nefarious. He will stay on with the university in some capacity. Also, the timing is right...possible playoff team in 2017, recent facility upgrade completed, stable coaching staff, recruiting going well, and the perfect guy waiting in the wings to pass the baton to.
If he retired because of his dad and his doctor's opinion then good on him. I'm sure it was hard to let go but I'd rather squeeze a few more years out with family and not have to put those hours in.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not sure we've seen the last of Big game Bob. After taking a year off, he may love not having to deal with coaching 24/7/365 and dealing with players who don't exhibit appropriate behaviors or he could get bored not being in the middle of the action.

Only TIME will tell but I agree with what he said about Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
You know, I was trying to figure out who actually brought the "spread" offense to the Big 12. Stoops brought it with him to Oklahoma. His first year there, they set several passing records. Of course, Oklahoma had been a wishbone offense even throughout the 80s, until Switzer was forced out. One of the coaches after Switzer went back to the wishbone for a year but it was a disaster.

So, I was trying to remember if it was Stoops who brought the spread to the Big 12. I think it was. Mike Leach was his OC that first season before he went to Texas Tech...

But I agree with your point. He did what he had to do to win at Oklahoma.

More than anything, it was was mike leach that flipped OU from a traditionally run-oriented O to one mainly driven by the pass--and after that the entire Big 12 followed suit. He was the OC that Bob brought in early on to install the spread O. Of course his exposure to Spurrier and the fun-and-gun did not hurt the cause...

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Bob said when he hired Leach that he made the decision based on his DC experience at Florida. He said that of all the O schemes he faced while in Gainesville, the most difficult to defend was at Kentucky. Of course, Leach found when he got to Norman there was no quarterback enrolled capable of running such a scheme so he recruited a little known juco quarterback from Snow J.C. in Utah named Josh Heupel. As the Hal Mumme spread flourished in the Big 12 the southern division became, with the SEC West, the strongest division in college football. Over the years, the OU offense evolved over time with more than one coordinator having a hand in the scheme. Riley seems to have reached a balance incorporating a power running game with a spread, hurry-up concept. Sooner fans my age still miss the split-t and the wishbone but no-one can argue with our success in our current O.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
For some folks it's live to work, instead of work to live.
Coach Bryant once said he'd "croak in a week" if he ever quit coaching. He lasted about a month.

Of course, he had severe health issues due to his drinking and smoking, but I wonder how he would have enjoyed retirement and if he'd have spent much time peering over Perkins' shoulder.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.