Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The country is already in the early stages of clawing itself apart due to the incapability of the American political system to mete out meaningful policies for the average person.
Just because Marius was right about the patricians exploiting the plebs doesn't make Sulla wrong in siding with the patricians to save the Republic. This tearing down Washington pipe dream on both sides is very dangerous for our liberal democracy.

Why else do you think we live in country with more-than-daily mass shootings, high suicide rate, rampant drug abuse, trigger happy cops, border concentration camps, and ever increasing wealth disparity despite employees being asked to do more jobs/wear more hats for stagnant wages?
Because of human nature. Does it make it right? No, but the USA isn't unique in these issues in the Western World like many wish to think.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Buttigieg announced his rural health plan: LINK

- Implement Medicare-for-all-who-want-it (tm)
- Expand medical loan forgiveness program to include rural private hospitals (this is good -- currently it's non-profit only, and there are a lot of small town private practices)
- Reform PSLF program to relieve a portion of student debt annually, rather than entirely at the completion of 10 service years (this is great)
- Encourage immigrant doctors to work in rural communities where domestic demand is highest (anything that introduces diversity into monochromatic communities is good imo)
- Increase Medicare reimbursement rates for providers working in rural areas (should help with hospital closures)
- Increase telemedicine capability by expanding high-speed rural broadband
- Improve patient access by investing in rural public transit infrastructure

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Buttigieg announced his rural health plan: LINK

- Implement Medicare-for-all-who-want-it (tm)
- Expand medical loan forgiveness program to include rural private hospitals (this is good -- currently it's non-profit only, and there are a lot of small town private practices)
- Reform PSLF program to relieve a portion of student debt annually, rather than entirely at the completion of 10 service years (this is great)
- Encourage immigrant doctors to work in rural communities where domestic demand is highest (anything that introduces diversity into monochromatic communities is good imo)
- Increase Medicare reimbursement rates for providers working in rural areas (should help with hospital closures)
- Increase telemedicine capability by expanding high-speed rural broadband
- Improve patient access by investing in rural public transit infrastructure
Pete continues to impress. I’m just sad I haven’t seen any other Pete stickers driving around town.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pete continues to impress. I’m just sad I haven’t seen any other Pete stickers driving around town.
I'm afraid it's the homophobia thing, and also his youth and newness. Biden's lead is based solely on the impression that he's the best one to take down Trump...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Pete seems like a good guy. I just wish he had more political experience than the mayor of South Bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
What state do you live in? If it's anywhere in the southeast then I am not surprised you do not see any stickers for a homosexual democrat. That statement makes me wonder: since anyone with an R by their name can win in Alabama, how would they respond to a homosexual republican?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
What state do you live in? If it's anywhere in the southeast then I am not surprised you do not see any stickers for a homosexual democrat.
This is an interactive map that shows the Democratic donations so far, broken down by zip code: LINK. Kinda neat.

Buttigieg is consistently in the top 2 around me, but this is the midwest. Took a quick glance at Alabama, and he's more consistently at #3-4. But whoever lives in 30307 around Atlanta seems to really like him.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This is an interactive map that shows the Democratic donations so far, broken down by zip code: LINK. Kinda neat.

Buttigieg is consistently in the top 2 around me, but this is the midwest. Took a quick glance at Alabama, and he's more consistently at #3-4. But whoever lives in 30307 around Atlanta seems to really like him.
Hey Charmin...pretty cool...thanks!

Punch in 32169......I'm on the coast there......Go Pete! :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We've had 18 years of inexperience, I'm ready for a change.

While in NO WAY do I want to advocate for so-called "inexperience".....what experience actually translates into being a President?

(Discussion question maybe).

Senators lack power to actually change much of anything, and most of them (that are considered effective) attempt to solve problems by "holding a meeting."

Governors put themselves forth as problem solvers, but in MOST states (Jersey is a notable exception), the governor isn't all that powerful either. Yeah, they get credit for things they sign, but even the ability of most governors is limited to their ability to sign something other folks send to them.

The late Kevin White (mayor of Boston for those who don't know) was advanced as a running mate for McGovern in 1972. The point made in his favor was that mayors take "real action" and are always well-versed on what goes on in their communities. (I'm not quite sure how this would apply to a nation of over 300 million people fwiw). NYC Mayor John Lindsay actually tried for the nomination that year (as I'm sure you recall far better than I) and flopped. His sales pitch was basically, "A mayor knows what it's like to choose between a new library and increasing law enforcement salary."

GHW Bush had more experience than any man in the 20th century who ran for the office. Congress. Businessman. Military hero. Party chairman. CIA director. Vice President.

But he was the worst public speaker who was ever elected President in my lifetime (until the current bozo). If he was not VP, it is highly unlikely the man ever would have been elected President by the voters because it's doubtful he could have won a nomination where he didn't start with a huge advantage.

History will treat him much better than the voters did, but the most qualified guy (on paper) we had wasn't wanted, either in 1988 or 1992. He won because the Democrats lost an election they probably should have won, thanks to yet another clueless Massachusetts pol who couldn't communicate with anyone else from outside the state. (In retrospect, Dukakis was a better person than he was a candidate - just like the guy who beat him).

So many folks want a businessman. Uh, we tried that. Carter was a businessman and failed. Bush 41 was a businessman and failed. Bush 43 was a failed businessman and failed. And no comment necessary on the current businessman.

Businessmen are used to being dictators and arbitrarily firing obstacles. You can't fire Congress. (And Bush 43 and Trump have wrecked a number of businesses, so I'm unsure of the relevance of their "jobs").

I think GOP consultant Ed Rollins, who made the mistake of his life working for Perot, said it best. The Presidency is NOT a business job, it's a job of inspirational leadership.

Given that (imho) the most important job a President has is war/peace, I think Mayor Pete - the military officer - is eminently qualified for that particular aspect. If he's smart enough to know whom to hire for the Cabinet (rather than just use a spoils system), even better.

Note: I'm NOT advocating for his candidacy, and I concur that it would be better if he had more. But he can't possibly have any less than Colonel Bone Spurs.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

30307 is Midtown Atlanta. You could probably find a whole lot of rainbow flags in that area.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
While in NO WAY do I want to advocate for so-called "inexperience".....what experience actually translates into being a President?

(Discussion question maybe).

Senators lack power to actually change much of anything, and most of them (that are considered effective) attempt to solve problems by "holding a meeting."

Governors put themselves forth as problem solvers, but in MOST states (Jersey is a notable exception), the governor isn't all that powerful either. Yeah, they get credit for things they sign, but even the ability of most governors is limited to their ability to sign something other folks send to them.

The late Kevin White (mayor of Boston for those who don't know) was advanced as a running mate for McGovern in 1972. The point made in his favor was that mayors take "real action" and are always well-versed on what goes on in their communities. (I'm not quite sure how this would apply to a nation of over 300 million people fwiw). NYC Mayor John Lindsay actually tried for the nomination that year (as I'm sure you recall far better than I) and flopped. His sales pitch was basically, "A mayor knows what it's like to choose between a new library and increasing law enforcement salary."

GHW Bush had more experience than any man in the 20th century who ran for the office. Congress. Businessman. Military hero. Party chairman. CIA director. Vice President.

But he was the worst public speaker who was ever elected President in my lifetime (until the current bozo). If he was not VP, it is highly unlikely the man ever would have been elected President by the voters because it's doubtful he could have won a nomination where he didn't start with a huge advantage.

History will treat him much better than the voters did, but the most qualified guy (on paper) we had wasn't wanted, either in 1988 or 1992. He won because the Democrats lost an election they probably should have won, thanks to yet another clueless Massachusetts pol who couldn't communicate with anyone else from outside the state. (In retrospect, Dukakis was a better person than he was a candidate - just like the guy who beat him).

So many folks want a businessman. Uh, we tried that. Carter was a businessman and failed. Bush 41 was a businessman and failed. Bush 43 was a failed businessman and failed. And no comment necessary on the current businessman.

Businessmen are used to being dictators and arbitrarily firing obstacles. You can't fire Congress. (And Bush 43 and Trump have wrecked a number of businesses, so I'm unsure of the relevance of their "jobs").

I think GOP consultant Ed Rollins, who made the mistake of his life working for Perot, said it best. The Presidency is NOT a business job, it's a job of inspirational leadership.

Given that (imho) the most important job a President has is war/peace, I think Mayor Pete - the military officer - is eminently qualified for that particular aspect. If he's smart enough to know whom to hire for the Cabinet (rather than just use a spoils system), even better.

Note: I'm NOT advocating for his candidacy, and I concur that it would be better if he had more. But he can't possibly have any less than Colonel Bone Spurs.
I've pondered frequently what exactly the "experience" required for the presidency really is. You'd think two failed businessmen in the last three presidents would put that to rest...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've pondered frequently what exactly the "experience" required for the presidency really is. You'd think two failed businessmen in the last three presidents would put that to rest...
Richard Reeves, who wrote several books on Presidents, used to write a column, and I recall one of the last ones of his I read being his fear that Romney would win because he "looked like a President," but he also said very clearly that there is literally no job on earth that prepares you for being President.

LBJ might be the greatest Senate majority leader this nation ever had. A mixed bag of major domestic success and horrific foreign policy failure.

Truman was not a very good businessman, but the reassessing of his tenure has turned him into a near great President. I think Bush 41 will eventually receive somewhat similar (though lesser) acclaim (it's not like Bush had to rebuild Europe....well, not exactly) as time passes, especially as his successors seem smaller by comparison.

You know, even if the "business man" argument was true, I've never understood the notion that Trump was any sort of whiz bang businessman. Ross Perot WAS a successful businessman, but Rollins nailed him perfectly: "Perot is chemically incapable of delegating. He would have been a disaster. One day he would have been Secretary of Defense, the next day Secretary of Energy."

In fact, Perot demanded Rollins sign an agreement to never discuss his time with the campaign in exchange for the $600,000 Perot owed him. Rollins refused, saying that he wasn't giving up his First Amendment rights over something Perot had already promised him. He got more in his advance to unload on Perot.

Most of our "successful businessmen" (Hoover, Carter, Bush 43) were failures as President. Now, I'll be the first to admit that being businessmen was not automatically the reason they failed, but it's an interesting outcome to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.