Budweiser Super Bowl immigration ad controversy

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Maybe you guys can help clarify the "controversy" for me. I've heard many people say the Budweiser ad was slam against the current administration's immigration policy. I don't see it. What does the success story of a Western European, Christian, capitalist immigrant with a very strong work ethic have to do with the current issue?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Maybe you guys can help clarify the "controversy" for me. I've heard many people say the Budweiser ad was slam against the current administration's immigration policy. I don't see it. What does the success story of a Western European, Christian, capitalist immigrant with a very strong work ethic have to do with the current issue?
its all the "go back home" "you aren't wanted" stuff to start the ad

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
its all the "go back home" "you aren't wanted" stuff to start the ad
Here's the difference though...this fellow just powered through it and worked towards his dream. Today if those words are said to an "immigrant", a certain political party will intervene and give said immigrants a "safe space" feeling which in my opinion only hurts everyone. Think about it. If someone had stepped in and coddled this fellow, giving him free this and free that so as to comfort his hurt feelings, what we he have accomplished?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Good ad, not a great beer.

Germans did not face the same xenophobia that Irishmen of the same period did, unless those Germans were openly Catholic, then they received the echoes of the Reformation/Counter-reformation controversy which tore Europe up so badly, because most Americans at the time were Protestant and Anti-Papist, frequently militantly so.
The American, or "Know-Nothing" party (do not ever let your opposition name your party) was generally anti-immigrant and they mostly drifted into the Republican party after 1854.
Large numbers of '48ers (proponents of a united Germany that lost in the revolutions of 1848-9 and were expelled from or invited to leave Germany) settled in the Missouri River valley of Missouri, between St. Louis and Jefferson City, the Missouri Rhineland. These formed the core of the Hegelian "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" types that supported the Union in 1861-1865, and made the war in Missouri a particularly nasty affair.
Ironically, the reputation of Germans in the Late Unpleasantness was that of unmotivated cowards who did not know how to fight. The Union XI Corps under General Oliver Otis Howard contained high numbers of German-Americans. They folded like a tent at Chancellorsville, and folded again at Gettysburg. They earned the nickname "Howard's Cowards" and "the Flying Dutchmen," and the Corps was broken up after the latter fight.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Here's the difference though...this fellow just powered through it and worked towards his dream. Today if those words are said to an "immigrant", a certain political party will intervene and give said immigrants a "safe space" feeling which in my opinion only hurts everyone. Think about it. If someone had stepped in and coddled this fellow, giving him free this and free that so as to comfort his hurt feelings, what we he have accomplished?
you have a truly bizarre picture of the life of a modern immigrant. I have a buddy that teaches at one of the refugee schools in Clarkston GA, let me know if you'd like to get a view that is centered on reality and I will see if I can get him to oblige

and it is also not the point. The contention on that Ad is that it showed an immigrant that no one wanted here becoming a success despite the opposition (And I know the germans had it relatively easy and this was a BS Story). The point is that this ad was Pro Immigrant at a very anti-immigrant time in American Culture

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
My wife, an immigrant, has come into contact with thousands and thousands of other immigrants over the years - from her time in ESL classes to more recently as a nurse tending to (legal and illegal) immigrant patients. Far, far too many are comfortable on the dole and expressed no intention of being self sufficient. It should not be surprising considering the cultural background. Some cultures promote a strong work ethic; others not so much.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Because liberals have no life and politics IS their religion quite frankly. I'm being a tad over the top on purpose, but it's certainly looking that way more and more.

There IS no controversy. A bunch of people still angry and hateful over the election now see "evidence" everywhere that everyone agrees with them.

Anyone comparing ILLEGAL immigration and border crossing with legal immigration through Ellis Island, etc, is an idiot in the first place.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just remember - every one of you - Budwesier doesn't give a damn about your political views at all.

They just want to sell some beer to everyone who will buy one - period.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
you have a truly bizarre picture of the life of a modern immigrant. I have a buddy that teaches at one of the refugee schools in Clarkston GA, let me know if you'd like to get a view that is centered on reality and I will see if I can get him to oblige

and it is also not the point. The contention on that Ad is that it showed an immigrant that no one wanted here becoming a success despite the opposition (And I know the germans had it relatively easy and this was a BS Story). The point is that this ad was Pro Immigrant at a very anti-immigrant time in American Culture
I disagree. I doubt you'll find people in any significant number having a problem with an immigrant like the one portrayed in the Bud ad. It's not an anti-immigrant attitude. It's opposition to immigrants who are here illegally, who are here to leech off the taxpayer, who are here to commit murder and other heinous crimes, etc.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.