Question: Would a win on Monday be UA's biggest win ever?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I get that, but they are only what you let them be. If you let them be your bogey man, they will be - forever - even if you beat them tomorrow.
I get your point and I agree with it up to a certain point. To me, they aren't a rival. They aren't what they used to be. However they still are the media darling where every time they are half decent, the media just anoints them as great. So any time they are putrid, it at least makes the media shut up about them... and that is how I like it.

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
Wasn't around when we were struggling for an identity and won several Rose Bowls but would believe that without those wins, Bama would have had a lesser opportunity to take on a national prominence. Conversely if we lose tomorrow, it won't be our biggest loss either as our prowess over the last 5 years and our coach will keep us chasing the crystal ball for some time to come.
I believe that first Rose Bowl win has to be the biggest ever. It set the tone. For me personally, this is the most important game since December 31 1973, for obvious reasons. That game devastated me.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think so. For starters, Notre Dame has been irrelevant for two decades. The old days when nearly every Catholic (no offense intended) in the country had Notre Dame as "their" team or of making movies about Gipper and Rudy or ND simply throwing out the net and picking the cream players are long gone and they're never coming back. The days when at most you see a team four times per year (3 plus a bowl) are gone too. Notre Dame as icon or myth is a relic of the past and it's funny how many came out of the woodwork when you haven't seen them for years.

If we beat ND then that one sore spot of 1973 is gone in the sense that never again will we hear how they beat us for a title. We can immediately invoke 2012 rather than the votes of 66 and 77.

If we win it will be just one more historic win for a program that already leads the nation in historic wins. But I don't think it will be any bigger than 92 or 09.

We hold the bowl wins record.
We hold the bowl appearances record.
We once held the records for winningest coach, home winning streak, PATs, and we're the first to win the Big Four bowls.
We are sixth in wins, higher if you actually count games won.

No team - not even Notre Dame - matches that full body of accomplishment.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
In terms of historical significance, I would say yes--a win tomorrow night becomes the biggest ever and bigger even that that first Rose Bowl win.

All other dynasties in college football occurred before national championships were truly undisputed.

No one has repeated in the BCS era and no one has won three. We might see college football history made tomorrow night.

Bookmark this thread and let's come back next year. If tomorrow night goes how we expect and we stay healthy through 2013, then this question gets asked all over again and the stakes get even higher.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I don't think you can single out just one as the greatest, no more than trying to single out the greatest player at any position, there's just been too many.

You could do it at plenty of other programs that do not have the rich past that Alabama enjoys, but not at Alabama.

Let's just enjoy them instead of trying to categorize them.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I'm going to give an unqualified YES.

My first thought was...."uhm, no friggin way." As I kind of started composing a response in my head and tried to think of bigger wins I decided not to post at all. But the more I thought about it the more I agreed with the OP.

The 2012 version of ND itself is not a powerhouse football team. Even the ND faithful could agree with that. This is more of a "magical season" type of team for them. OT wins, goal line stands, controversial calls...many things have defined their season thus far but the word domination isn't one of them. But this isn't about them.

This is about Alabama. This is about us cementing our place atop the college football world once again. This is about 1973. This is about 1966. This is about CPB. This is back-to-back, 3-out-of-4. This is about throwing the dominance of Alabama and the SEC back in the nations face and letting them know that we will not simply give the BCS back....someone will have to take it.

If ND does that then so be it. We will congratulate them and come back fighting in 2013. But if they can't then they and the rest of country can hate us and our SEC brothers for another 12 months while enjoy the spoils of the victor.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think so. For starters, Notre Dame has been irrelevant for two decades. The old days when nearly every Catholic (no offense intended) in the country had Notre Dame as "their" team or of making movies about Gipper and Rudy or ND simply throwing out the net and picking the cream players are long gone and they're never coming back. The days when at most you see a team four times per year (3 plus a bowl) are gone too. Notre Dame as icon or myth is a relic of the past and it's funny how many came out of the woodwork when you haven't seen them for years.

If we beat ND then that one sore spot of 1973 is gone in the sense that never again will we hear how they beat us for a title. We can immediately invoke 2012 rather than the votes of 66 and 77.

If we win it will be just one more historic win for a program that already leads the nation in historic wins. But I don't think it will be any bigger than 92 or 09.

We hold the bowl wins record.
We hold the bowl appearances record.
We once held the records for winningest coach, home winning streak, PATs, and we're the first to win the Big Four bowls.
We are sixth in wins, higher if you actually count games won.

No team - not even Notre Dame - matches that full body of accomplishment.
Um, are you aware they have their own national TV network, courtesy of NBC?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I get your point and I agree with it up to a certain point. To me, they aren't a rival. They aren't what they used to be. However they still are the media darling where every time they are half decent, the media just anoints them as great. So any time they are putrid, it at least makes the media shut up about them... and that is how I like it.
We haven't heard anything yet. If by some chance they win watch out.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I think this would be if not THE then one of the biggest wins for CNS.

I think the coaching job this year with the loss of REAL talent to the NFL & then later to injuries, is one of the best adjustments I have ever seen. Not a dig but this team is not as talented as the 2010 but has performed much better as a team. The offense is not just out there to not screw up but they score points. The DB's have taken flack all year but allow under 200 yes a game. To me it is by far his best coaching effort, with real buy in from the team.
Best post in this thread! Thanks, when you sit back and think about it..it is pretty amazing.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
In terms of historical significance, I would say yes--a win tomorrow night becomes the biggest ever and bigger even that that first Rose Bowl win.

All other dynasties in college football occurred before national championships were truly undisputed.

No one has repeated in the BCS era and no one has won three. We might see college football history made tomorrow night.

Bookmark this thread and let's come back next year. If tomorrow night goes how we expect and we stay healthy through 2013, then this question gets asked all over again and the stakes get even higher.
GulfCoastTider and AgentAntiOrange nailed it. Oh! And, I dislike buzzincussin's "Dislike." Indeed. Coach Saban can win back to back, etc. But, the best opportunity is now.

I'm going to give an unqualified YES.

My first thought was...."uhm, no friggin way." As I kind of started composing a response in my head and tried to think of bigger wins I decided not to post at all. But the more I thought about it the more I agreed with the OP.

The 2012 version of ND itself is not a powerhouse football team. Even the ND faithful could agree with that. This is more of a "magical season" type of team for them. OT wins, goal line stands, controversial calls...many things have defined their season thus far but the word domination isn't one of them. But this isn't about them.

This is about Alabama. This is about us cementing our place atop the college football world once again. This is about 1973. This is about 1966. This is about CPB. This is back-to-back, 3-out-of-4. This is about throwing the dominance of Alabama and the SEC back in the nations face and letting them know that we will not simply give the BCS back....someone will have to take it.

If ND does that then so be it. We will congratulate them and come back fighting in 2013. But if they can't then they and the rest of country can hate us and our SEC brothers for another 12 months while enjoy the spoils of the victor.
My first thoughts were: What win could possibly top this? As I postponed my post to a more convenient time, I left my thoughts in the ether where others found them unguarded. :wink: Indeed, who can forget the failed 3-peat and "Missing Ring" of 1966 and the disappointment in the Dec 31, 1973, Sugar Bowl.

For any doubters that this isn't THE BIGGEST WIN EVER, imagine your feelings Tuesday morning after a loss in the BCS Championship. Okay, got that? Next, add all the crap from the Viles, Barners, and others about how Bama choked. OVERRATED! Our rivals will remember it for 40 years. So, will all Bama fans still living. Now, how do you feel?

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I still disagree.
In the history of Alabama football a win tomorrow will make getting a shot at next years title game the biggest in the history of college football regardless of team. Back to back has been done three times. Twice by Alabama.

I don't even consider ND the most formable foe this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.