Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Giant Squid

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2006
This is absolutely jaw dropping. I'm stunned, and it's bad enough that the national media had the wool pulled over their eyes, but I can't imagine how the people at ND who view Te'o as a hero are going to feel.

Statement from Notre Dame:

"Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te’o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax"... "Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself w/Manti & then conspired w/others to lead him believe she had tragically died of leukemia" ... "Proper authorities continue to investigate, this appears to be, at minimum, a sad & very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators"
https://www.facebook.com/NDFootball/posts/553537038009180

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Absolutely crazy if true. My concern is that there are a lot of anonymous sources or 'hidden' individuals. We'll see if anything happens with this.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Notre Dame's statement is going to get hammered as well. The school knew about it the day after Christmas, and the family knew before then. It also paints Te'o as completely clueless, yet it's established in the article he knew the person behind the hoax.
Yeah, man. This is bad. And their statement is a lie, too.

Where are all our Irish buddies to set us straight?

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Sounds like the Te'os knew this was coming and are trying to get ahead of it by saying that someone lied to Manti and assumed the persona of Lennay Kekua.

However, that doesn't explain the photo (Manti would have known if the picture didn't match the hoaxster) and if they were played they wouldn't have reported it to the press. Heck, wouldn't they have gone to the funeral?

If Manti's draft status wasn't already wounded, it's dead now.

Sounds like the Te'os knew this was coming and are trying to get ahead of it by saying that someone lied to Manti and assumed the persona of Lennay Kekua.

However, that doesn't explain the photo (Manti would have known if the picture didn't match the hoaxster) and if they were played they wouldn't have reported it to the press. Heck, wouldn't they have gone to the funeral?

I can't be for certain, but I believe it's been established by Te'o or his family that he or they did meet the girlfriend in the past, so there's a big lie.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

im thinking professional wrestling just became a serious career option for manta

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN
Is the rape case even being investigated? Why would the take the chance of letting them play without checking it out? That dome is starting to get somewhat tarnished.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.