Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

I think we have seen The SEC in decline - is the league on an ascension, decline, or a plat

Here are games of interest - how will The SEC teams do?

Fla vs Michigan - scUM is a 4 pt favorite

UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss, who won this game last year

South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta

Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

LSU -13 vs BYU

Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

UGA @ Notre Dame

auburn @ Clemson

Alabama -7 vs FSU

11 games that will in large part shape national perception of the entire league for the entire season. How will The SEC fare, and what will the National Narrative be?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

Not to sound "snarky", perception is not necessarily reality, so I really do not care what other people think about the SEC. You win or lose then play the next game, just that simple.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Not to sound "snarky", perception is not necessarily reality, so I really do not care what other people think about the SEC. You win or lose then play the next game, just that simple.
Perception becomes reality perhaps, at years end, if SEC SOS ends up adversely affecting Playoff candidates

And it appears no one else cares either - maybe I should have introduced lisa anne :eek:

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

In national recruiting the SEC has SEVEN of the top twelve teams averaged over five years. That makes me believe the talent is there for SEC domination and the past couple of year have been coaching changes and just plain bad injury luck. We will see if the HC problem has been corrected. Coach Ogre? Blotch Jones? Sumlin? Boom Boom? We shall see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I only care about one team in the SEC and one team in the B1G. If we both win our games, we will both be in the playoff again, no matter what else happens in our conferences.

If you are Alabama and OSU right now, it really is very simple. Win and perceived conference strength doesn't matter. Fail to win and it really doesn't matter. So, when does it matter?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I really only care about one SEC team (Bama). I suspect that if the SEC loses a few of those games then the ESPN folks will pile on though. I could see Florida, A&M, South Carolina and maybe AU going down.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I only care about one team in the SEC and one team in the B1G. If we both win our games, we will both be in the playoff again, no matter what else happens in our conferences.

If you are Alabama and OSU right now, it really is very simple. Win and perceived conference strength doesn't matter. Fail to win and it really doesn't matter. So, when does it matter?
Exactly. I'll start caring about the SEC when the SEC starts caring about Bama . Hope no one holds their breath until either happens.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Winners in bold. Not picking ATS.

how will The SEC teams do?

UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

LSU -13 vs BYU

Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

UGA @ Notre Dame

auburn @ Clemson

Alabama -7 vs FSU

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Winners in bold. Not picking ATS.

how will The SEC teams do?

LSU -13 vs BYU

Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

UGA @ Notre Dame

auburn @ Clemson

Alabama -7 vs FSU
I only disagree with you on Tennessee-Ga Tech.
Ga Tech running that screwy offensive feasts on opponents that have only one week to prepare. Ga Tech is less impressive against teams with two weeks or more to prepare.
Thus, I think Tennessee gets them.
There will be an upset or two but I bet the SEC splits those, dropping one they should win and winning they should lose.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I'm an eternal optimist but frankly I think we go 50/50 at BEST. I think UF fails miserably against the Wolverines (again), UGA does not beat the line against Appy may even fall, UK does not beat the line if they even win, State takes out the Cocks, UT loses to Tech, Vandy struggles bigtime with MTSU, BYU is sound and will give the whos all they want could even be a loss, UCLA beats the line against TAMU, UGA falls to the Domers, Auburn and Clemson both struggle to score and the game could go either way and Bama, well, we will dominate the noles by midway through the 3rd.

I think we have seen The SEC in decline - is the league on an ascension, decline, or a plat

Here are games of interest - how will The SEC teams do?

LSU -13 vs BYU

Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

UGA @ Notre Dame

auburn @ Clemson

Alabama -7 vs FSU

11 games that will in large part shape national perception of the entire league for the entire season. How will The SEC fare, and what will the National Narrative be?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Fla vs Michigan - I thought UF would win until the suspensions came into play

UGA -14 vs APP ST Can go either way. UGA should handle them but App State is more than skilled to beat them

Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss

South Carolina vs NC State

tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta I think GT wins big

Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee

LSU -13 vs BYU

Texas A&M @ UCLA

UGA @ Notre Dame

auburn @ Clemson

The national pundents will talk about the strength of the SEC or lack thereof if it goes similar to what I envision. Its a great out of conference schedule for the SEC to play though. Looking forward to seeing how these games go.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) I really could care less if the SEC went 1-13 as long as Bama is the 1 win.

2) It really doesn't matter about the perception of the conference as long as Bama does their job.

3) for those picking Florida... UF is going to be without 7 players to include their biggest playmaker on offense. Unless Zaire is the real deal I see Michigan and Harbaugh beating them by 10.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
1) I really could care less if the SEC went 1-13 as long as Bama is the 1 win.

2) It really doesn't matter about the perception of the conference as long as Bama does their job.

3) for those picking Florida... UF is going to be without 7 players to include their biggest playmaker on offense. Unless Zaire is the real deal I see Michigan and Harbaugh beating them by 10.
I think this type view is a little short-sighted.

Face it, Bama is not going to win every game every year. Therefore UA does benefit if the SEC is perceived to be the best conference

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Face it, Bama is not going to win every game every year. Therefore UA does benefit if the SEC is perceived to be the best conference
After Saban leaves, you might be correct. But as long as Saban is your head coach, Alabama will get the benefit of the doubt no matter how the SEC looks. By then the playoff will probably have been expanded to 8 teams and this REALLY won't matter.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Pre playoffs... Yes

Playoffs..... No

Cheering for teams in the SEC because one fears it will bite us in the rear down the line is no longer an issue with 4 chances to play for the title available. So barring having a good year with an L while Notre Dame is having a good year then I think chances of a SEC champ making it in those slots are overwhelming good.

There are few times I will occasionally pull for another SEC team, but those are becoming very rare. The truth is all 13 would just as rather see us on a death penalty probation as they would us help the conference image. I've ventured on many opponent and SEC community boards over the years and that point of view has been there even in the Shula days. So I really could care less about the SEC success outside Alabama in the post BCS era.

Oh and bonus points.... Let's really take a poll at how many Bama fans were chanting " S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!" in 97,98,10,and 13 when Auburn and Tennessee were carrying the conference banner.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I get this point of view, but to be honest I think the perception of Alabama as a program outweighs the perception of the SEC at this point.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
After Saban leaves, you might be correct. But as long as Saban is your head coach, Alabama will get the benefit of the doubt no matter how the SEC looks. By then the playoff will probably have been expanded to 8 teams and this REALLY won't matter.
Strike 1

The media and haters are searching for any avenue to topple Bama, and this could be a potential tripwire. If The SEC fares poorly in the opening 2 weeks, thus leading perhaps to a lower league SOS rating - well lets say Ohio State, Okie State and Washington all have 1 loss, everyone else has 2, including Bama, Clemson, Penn State...

I say no way Bama gets the nod

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Pre playoffs... Yes

Playoffs..... No

Cheering for teams in the SEC because one fears it will bite us in the rear down the line is no longer an issue with 4 chances to play for the title available. So barring having a good year with an L while Notre Dame is having a good year then I think chances of a SEC champ making it in those slots are overwhelming good.

There are few times I will occasionally pull for another SEC team, but those are becoming very rare. The truth is all 13 would just as rather see us on a death penalty probation as they would us help the conference image. I've ventured on many opponent and SEC community boards over the years and that point of view has been there even in the Shula days. So I really could care less about the SEC success outside Alabama in the post BCS era.

Oh and bonus points.... Let's really take a poll at how many Bama fans were chanting " S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!" in 97,98,10,and 13 when Auburn and Tennessee were carrying the conference banner.
Again, a lower SEC SOS would be ammo for anti-Bama types

The OP question was not are you cheering for SEC teams, it was how will they do and how will The SEC be viewed after week 2? In case you have missed it, the national perception of SEC strength is in decline.

Personally, I never chant SEC or cheer for conference teams, unless it directly benefits Bama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1)Again, a lower SEC SOS would be ammo for anti-Bama types

2)The OP question was not are you cheering for SEC teams, it was how will they do and how will The SEC be viewed after week 2? In case you have missed it, the national perception of SEC strength is in decline.

3) Personally, I never chant SEC or cheer for conference teams, unless it directly benefits Bama.
1) Again four spots and four chances for 5 conferences vs 2 spots and 2 chances for an unlimited number of teams. Even if they had a ridiculous amount of crap against the SEC it would take something ridiculous like 2 clearly deserving teams in the Big XII and PAC 12 or ND and the ACC champ both undefeated or 1 loss without playing each other to keep even the most iffy SEC champ out.

2) I gave my opinion like several others who shared the exact same opinion of the other SEC teams, but for whatever reason you want to quote me and Big instead of the others. But just to humor you...

- nobody cares about any other games that pertains to SEC outside the three biggest

• Bama vs FSU
• UF vs Mich
• Clem vs Auburn

But really the only real story is if Bama loses bad. Otherwise it's just typical talk.

3) Then why are you taking such issue with us who share that opinion?

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.