The Days of Their Vols (The 2019 Vol meltdown thread)

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
You know, it's crazy to think that this business took place nearly 20 years ago. That's a long long time in the life of a 25-30 year old. Out of memory, in fact. But to those of us who were old enough then, we recall it well. It was so blatant what was going on with UT and the SEC office.

It's why I got so up in arms on the thread about AD Byrne getting pi55y about all the early game times. I still feel like there is bias in that office in Birmingham, toward their BIGGEST CASH COW PROGRAM in Alabama.

I won't go further, but I've been in that SEC office multiple times, behind closed doors. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone working there that is from the state of Alabama anymore. They live here NOW, sure, but they aren't from here. Not even close in a lot of their cases.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Decade of Dominance???

They also benefited from the fact they had a crippled Alabama, a situation they may not have started but they were the primary reason we stayed down on the ground for so long.
Does the name Roy Kramer mean anything in regards to your post...?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If Tennessee actually thought "Mullen didn't win enough," they're obviously not aware of how insanely difficult that is to do in Stark-Vegas.

Mullen had SEC game head coaching experience; Pruitt did not. Now, I don't think it mattered because if you're Mullen and you have a choice between Florida and Tennessee, it's like a choice between dating Kate Upton or Ellen DeGeneres - the decision is already made for you.
So WHY did Phatlock hire Pruitt? :cool2:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I met my wife in 2007 and she didn’t pay any attention to football prior to that. Now, she just thinks she married someone with an annual drinking problem that likes crappy football.
That is AWESOME!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I read that several TN players entered the transfer portal and were not at practice. I wonder if they were starters and if we had tried to recruit any of them? One was a WR the other a LB. Wonder if To'to will transfer. His name was not on the list so far.

Jeremy Pruitt needs to enter his name in the portal too :) Help Golding be a Defensive co-ordinator .

R.Bama1980

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2017
Great thead!! I live near the orange mothership, and I remember in the late 90s early 00s , listening to local sports talk and the smug comments and pure joy with every Bama loss and bad news ! The chickens have come home !!

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Great thead!! I live near the orange mothership, and I remember in the late 90s early 00s , listening to local sports talk and the smug comments and pure joy with every Bama loss and bad news ! The chickens have come home !!
Ah, the bad old days (football-wise). Did you ever make the mistake of listening to Tony Basilio on the radio here in Knoxville? I made that mistake. I'll never forget the day Dennis Franchione left us abruptly. That horse's rear end Basilio opened his show by playing "Yea Alabama" just to rub a little salt in the wound. That's just one example of the hatred he showed toward us. Always a negative, smart aleck remark, always a put-down, always an insult at every turn. He made Roy Adams look like a saint.

So now, I hope Basilio is basking in the glow of what his "mighty" Vols have become and here's to many more years of it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Tennessee just hired Pruitt to hurt Alabama. Tennessee is not the place for a guy who has never been a head coach EVER in their entire career. They couldn’t get a good hire so they just settled on a bad hire that would hurt their biggest rival. Pruitt was really an ideal candidate to do what McElwain did. Go coach in the C-USA or AAC to get some on the job training.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think Tennessee just hired Pruitt to hurt Alabama. Tennessee is not the place for a guy who has never been a head coach EVER in their entire career. They couldn’t get a good hire so they just settled on a bad hire that would hurt their biggest rival. Pruitt was really an ideal candidate to do what McElwain did. Go coach in the C-USA or AAC to get some on the job training.
I agree whole-heartedly. Some schools make hires that cause me to scratch my head. This hire made me think what you just said.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
He was their 5th choice! They weren't trying to hurt anyone, they were trying to maintain any amount of respect that they possibly could. Hiring someone from Bama after 4 whiffs (BADLY) was IMO the best they could do to accomplish that.
I agree whole-heartedly. Some schools make hires that cause me to scratch my head. This hire made me think what you just said.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He was their 5th choice! They weren't trying to hurt anyone, they were trying to maintain any amount of respect that they possibly could. Hiring someone from Bama after 4 whiffs (BADLY) was IMO the best they could do to accomplish that.
I think they tried more than 5 people. Of course Gruden and Mullen were their top choices, but I heard some Big 10 coaches going around too.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.