Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
You can "worst case scenario" this thing to death. The problem is that the worst case scenarios are pretty dang scary.

For example, This will trickle down to the high school and lower levels. There are kids on youtube who are getting big sponsorship bucks for playing a video game with certain controllers and using certain computer components. It is not too far a stretch to imagine an 8th grader who shows out at these 7 on 7 tourneys and camps signing with a sponsor. It really can't be called amateur sports at this point.

Again, the worst case scenarios are certainly bothersome. But at least we can feel pretty confident that CNS has a team already working on the possible ramifications and how we can stay on top of them. Of course, with the way he feels about agents and such, having to deal with agents during recruiting might just be the one thing that pushes him to retir- nevermind. Ain't even gonna think it. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Of all the things that may come out of this. This is probably not going to be one of them. LOL!
I don't want to watch college football without the Tuas of the world participating, and this allows them to stay in the game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
Who are they gonna sue? They'd have to prove the school and/or the NCAA worked to thwart that player's ability to earn the extra income.

Good luck.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You can "worst case scenario" this thing to death. The problem is that the worst case scenarios are pretty dang scary.

For example, This will trickle down to the high school and lower levels. There are kids on youtube who are getting big sponsorship bucks for playing a video game with certain controllers and using certain computer components. It is not too far a stretch to imagine an 8th grader who shows out at these 7 on 7 tourneys and camps signing with a sponsor. It really can't be called amateur sports at this point.

Again, the worst case scenarios are certainly bothersome. But at least we can feel pretty confident that CNS has a team already working on the possible ramifications and how we can stay on top of them. Of course, with the way he feels about agents and such, having to deal with agents during recruiting might just be the one thing that pushes him to retir- nevermind. Ain't even gonna think it. :)
I guess I'm one of the few who wonders why some of you are hung up on the amateur status of athletics.

Why should we care if an 8th grader is making money from his talent and hard work? If the kid started and operated a landscaping business making $1 million annually everyone would congratulate him (I knew a kid who did this in Orlando), but if he puts in the effort to have that value placed on him for his athletic ability that's bad?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
I’m a lawyer and I don’t think they’d have any cognizable action.

It would be like me suing your boss for not giving me a job.

If it’s between the player and the business and the arrangement doesn’t use any protected material (such as copyrighted material and so on) neither the university nor the NCAA has any involvement or duty to anyone involved any more than the university has a say in what students dominoes hires to deliver pizzas.

No offense to the female basketball player but it’s no one’s fault if no private business is interested in her endorsing products or whatever...that’s the free market making decisions...not the school or the NCAA.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don’t confuse what EA was doing with what Nike does with the number 17.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Here's what will happen that isn't being discussed. These boosters own businesses and can start businesses. They then give endorsement deals to these athletes. This is how the boosters replace the "bag man" with a legal way to pay the players, and the bigger the pockets of your boosters the bigger the money you can offer to these 18 year old kids. I won't blame them for taking the money, but recruiting will become just a game of which booster club has the bigger check book.

Phil Knight: You come to Oregon and I'll give you a $1,000,000 endorsement deal with Nike.

Athlete: Where do I sign.

This is what will happen. It will be a recruiting tool.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's what will happen that isn't being discussed. These boosters own businesses and can start businesses. They then give endorsement deals to these athletes. This is how the boosters replace the "bag man" with a legal way to pay the players, and the bigger the pockets of your boosters the bigger the money you can offer to these 18 year old kids. I won't blame them for taking the money, but recruiting will become just a game of which booster club has the bigger check book.

Phil Knight: You come to Oregon and I'll give you a $1,000,000 endorsement deal with Nike.

This is the only legitimate concern, but it is happening today, so let's bring it out into the sunshine.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

What is probably going to happen is the P5 will break away and establish a Cap room limit that is closely monitored and strictly enforced. The NCAA has lost a lot of power in the past 10 years and has become a puppet power.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The difference is now it will become an arms race. Out in the open it could get crazy. I'm more for the NFL having a developmental system like the NBDL.
It is already an arms race. Seriously, this has been going on longer than I have been alive. Remember Bryant passing the boot while he was at aTm?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure that would be legal without the consent of the players.
There is a reason to why this bill won’t go into law until 2023. I think the intent is to totally challenge the NCAA’s power in court because the NCAA can’t remain silent for the next 3 years and remain in power.

I kinda feel that the days of the NCAA control over major college sports are coming to an end.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I guess I'm one of the few who wonders why some of you are hung up on the amateur status of athletics.

Why should we care if an 8th grader is making money from his talent and hard work? If the kid started and operated a landscaping business making $1 million annually everyone would congratulate him (I,knew a kid who did this in Orlando), but if he puts in the effort to have that value placed on him for his athletic ability that's bad?
Bazza?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
It will be tested, and won in court. SO... A Prima Donna system will be in effect for every sport. High dollar Golf, Wrestling Team ect.
This will encompass more than Football.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
This will be tested in the courts, but I expect it to stand up. If other states do not get on board, CA schools will gain a huge recruiting advantage in a few years. Will other states join CA and force the NCAA to capitulate?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act
I hate it!

This will be the beginning of the end of CFB as we know it. It will be a Minor NFL when it is all said and done...and I hate the NFL. Back in the sixties and seventies, a player would prety much play his entire career with the same team and I loved it as a fan! When it became all about the money and highest bidder, it got to the point that I couldn't care less about the NFL. We have already seen the start of Free Agency started with the Transfer Portal... :cool2:

Why does California feel like they have to dictate the standards for everywhere else? This is about to get political and I will now recuse myself from the rest of this reply... :rolleyes:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Who are they gonna sue? They'd have to prove the school and/or the NCAA worked to thwart that player's ability to earn the extra income.

Good luck.
I said this earlier. What happens when a coach plays the “paid” player over the “unpaid” player limiting the latter’s exposure? Then the “unpaid” player sues.

Also, what about a university giving more “attention” to sports that have “paid” athletes to increase the university’s exposure? Then you would have a title IX case.

I’m sorry, but this is insane. There is absolutely no way to regulate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've seen people say this before but I think you're kidding yourself if you think these players have no value outside the context of their schools.
Would like to hear thoughts in regards to this question - how many players, legitimately, could have signed endorsement deals over the summer? I'd say three players - Tua, Jalen and Trevor Lawrence. Why break the system over a handful of players when there's over 10,000 FBS players?

I think most people are really misjudging how much money will be thrown at high school players if this passes. A high school player is 3 years away from becoming eligible for the NFL draft. Phil Knight, or whoever, is not going to throw millions at 18 year olds when the success rate of the player panning out is way less than 50%..

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
While I am not against the idea they are attempting to address, This will likely result in a number of unintended consequences. Without worrying about who can do what, we all know that if one state allows it all states will allow it and the NCAA has zero gonads so it will do nothing but suck its thumb and chant in the corner.

It will create a class system of players making the $$$ and those who do not. Linemen for instance, nobody wants them to represent their product unless you're selling a buffet restaurant. Not going to be good for the teams or the experience of college football.

You think it's hard to tell a 19 year old what to do now? wait till they have an agent and endorsement deals.

These deals will likely be initially related to their recruiting rankings so you'll have a 5 star player who hasn't played a down of college football come walking in the building wearing gold chains and driving his sports car with a few chicks and an entourage in tow. Good luck ever telling him to run laps.

Teams who have historically payed players and gotten away with it *Cough*** Auburn* will find this to be an easy legal revenue stream, for instance, the Yellowood guy could simply pay endorsement deals to whatever player they want. Which of course other teams will quickly pick up on and before you know it, you have an endorsement deal bidding war over an 18 year old between rich obsessed alumni.

If this is not VERY tightly controlled you can kiss college football goodbye. It would make the NFL look pure and wholesome by comparison.

And just FYI Texas A&M has more money than half the SEC combined. If recruiting just comes down to money they could beat the Dallas Cowboys.
THAT is exactly what will happen!!!

This whole thing is a Pandora's Box... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It is only a problem for people who want things to stay as they are. For people who welcome change and continuous improvement - not so much.
The thing is...it is NOT an improvement...

The money part is what the NFL is for. This whole deal is going to turn ugly and there will absolutely be no way to reverse it. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.