Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It won’t end the topic but its a step in the right direction, better to do something than to not do it at all.
No, it's better to do something after a thorough assessment of the impacts...which has not been done. :cool2:

This thread alone has far more assessment than those idiots in California put into it... :cool2:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Let’s ask the question... “ if the only restriction to getting to the NFL was a high school diploma/ GED, how many of Alabama’s skill players on Alabama’s offense would be at Alabama?”
Oh, we definitely have some guys who would go straight to a pro league if given the chance. I'm hoping that is the way colleges decide to go. Tell the pro leagues to create their own minor leagues. There will be many of these kids who don't make it, and then people will complain that they were taken advantage of because now they would have no professional sports careers and no college degrees. Lawyers will make plenty, of course.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I guess I'm one of the few who wonders why some of you are hung up on the amateur status of athletics.

Why should we care if an 8th grader is making money from his talent and hard work? If the kid started and operated a landscaping business making $1 million annually everyone would congratulate him (I knew a kid who did this in Orlando), but if he puts in the effort to have that value placed on him for his athletic ability that's bad?
It's not so much about them getting the money, it's about the corruption surrounding the system that distributes the money..

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I’m a lawyer and I don’t think they’d have any cognizable action.

It would be like me suing your boss for not giving me a job.

If it’s between the player and the business and the arrangement doesn’t use any protected material (such as copyrighted material and so on) neither the university nor the NCAA has any involvement or duty to anyone involved any more than the university has a say in what students dominoes hires to deliver pizzas.

No offense to the female basketball player but it’s no one’s fault if no private business is interested in her endorsing products or whatever...that’s the free market making decisions...not the school or the NCAA.
They will get their money, the rich schools will get the best high school athletes an endorsement deal with the rich boosters company to come play for their Alma Mater...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Here's what will happen that isn't being discussed. These boosters own businesses and can start businesses. They then give endorsement deals to these athletes. This is how the boosters replace the "bag man" with a legal way to pay the players, and the bigger the pockets of your boosters the bigger the money you can offer to these 18 year old kids. I won't blame them for taking the money, but recruiting will become just a game of which booster club has the bigger check book.

Phil Knight: You come to Oregon and I'll give you a $1,000,000 endorsement deal with Nike.

Athlete: Where do I sign.

This is what will happen. It will be a recruiting tool.
Exactly!!!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's not so much about them getting the money, it's about the corruption surrounding the system that distributes the money..
Are you under the misunderstanding that there's less corruption now than there would be if it were legal?

If so, I'd typically recommend you read "The System", but you might not want to read it. It's an eye-opener for those who haven't been exposed to what major college spots are already like.

FWIW, it wasn't an eye-opener for me - I've been aware of the widespread corruption in major college sports since the early 90s...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
What is probably going to happen is the P5 will break away and establish a Cap room limit that is closely monitored and strictly enforced. The NCAA has lost a lot of power in the past 10 years and has become a puppet power.
THAT is why the NCAA will eventually capitulate and forever ruin CFB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oh, we definitely have some guys who would go straight to a pro league if given the chance. I'm hoping that is the way colleges decide to go. Tell the pro leagues to create their own minor leagues. There will be many of these kids who don't make it, and then people will complain that they were taken advantage of because now they would have no professional sports careers and no college degrees. Lawyers will make plenty, of course.
I think the issue is that there is no alternative path to the NFL than college football. With the age restriction to the NFL in which the NCAA and NFL agreed on there really isn’t a true amateur distinction anymore. If the XFL is granted the 18 year old threshold and is proven to be a success then I believe a lot of control will be given back to the NCAA.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Would like to hear thoughts in regards to this question - how many players, legitimately, could have signed endorsement deals over the summer? I'd say three players - Tua, Jalen and Trevor Lawrence. Why break the system over a handful of players when there's over 10,000 FBS players?

I think most people are really misjudging how much money will be thrown at high school players if this passes. A high school player is 3 years away from becoming eligible for the NFL draft. Phil Knight, or whoever, is not going to throw millions at 18 year olds when the success rate of the player panning out is way less than 50%..
Yes he will, because everyone else will be doing it...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Part of the problem is going to be determining what defines profiting from one's likeness. Properly monitored, it could weed out the jobs wherein a player watches the grass grow.

There is a national market for a few players - Tua, Jalen, etc. - but I'm not sure there's quite the market we assume for a lot of stud players who could get lost in the shuffle.

The jersey thing would be interesting, too -especially numbers without names.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
My comment: how can a team play with ONE heart beat like Coach Bryant wanted, if some are getting something that OTHERS are NOT. Jealousy and Greed will be uncontrollable. Will linemen NOT want to block for a $$$$$$$$ QB or RB. Will a LB be irritated because a $$$$$$$$$$ CB is getting more than him? Hmmmmm, if I leave this maniac LB unblocked so that he can plant my QB under the turf, will I get more or less? Hmmmm will he get more or less? Will he give me some of what he's got $$$$$$$$$$$ so I will BLOCK for him?

Well, another comment: RECRUITING will be even more VICIOUS.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This will be tested in the courts, but I expect it to stand up. If other states do not get on board, CA schools will gain a huge recruiting advantage in a few years. Will other states join CA and force the NCAA to capitulate?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act
Huge recruiting advantage only if the NCAA doesn’t just start slapping their athletes with suspensions for violating NCAA rules. The NCAA can’t tell them they can’t pay them but they can certainly enforce their own rules and prohibit any athletes that are paid from participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Again, the worst case scenarios are certainly bothersome. But at least we can feel pretty confident that CNS has a team already working on the possible ramifications and how we can stay on top of them. Of course, with the way he feels about agents and such, having to deal with agents during recruiting might just be the one thing that pushes him to retir- nevermind. Ain't even gonna think it. :)
I have often stated CNS will retire when Miss Terry looks at him, and says "Coach, it's time."

Going to have to amend that. The first time CNS walks into a recruits home, and an agent is sitting next to the parents, and the agent starts in on how his client it going to be utilized, because that impacts his client's earning potential......................yeah, he'll be at the lake ASAP.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I’m a lawyer and I don’t think they’d have any cognizable action.

It would be like me suing your boss for not giving me a job.

If it’s between the player and the business and the arrangement doesn’t use any protected material (such as copyrighted material and so on) neither the university nor the NCAA has any involvement or duty to anyone involved any more than the university has a say in what students dominoes hires to deliver pizzas.

No offense to the female basketball player but it’s no one’s fault if no private business is interested in her endorsing products or whatever...that’s the free market making decisions...not the school or the NCAA.
That might be how us normal folk look at it. How long do you think it will be before an activist judge sees it another way?

As a lawyer, I'm sure you have seen cases where someone who does not have standing convinces the right judge that they do. Sure, a lot of those eventually get tossed/overturned. In the meantime, the lawyers are billing time to their clients. I'm sure a lot of them are in favor of this, and are already thinking up ways to profit from it.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The bidding wars for the very top high school players will be interesting. Millions, maybe not. But, we've seen pretty big money paid for players, before.

You think some some these big money boosters aren't willing to shell out bucks to get the best players to their school? There will be "competition". When coaches are putting together their recruiting plan they'll need to gather round with their money-men to determine their budget and how much they can offer any particular recruit.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Of course, if the NFL had a legit minor league, of their own creation, that would solve a lot of problems. The only people who get upset about the MLB having a minor league system are the coaches who see one of their prized recruits drafted, who then elects to sign. That's life; free market and all.

If all that is left are 2- and 3-star recruits, well then, we'll just have to work smarter and harder to have the best 2- and 3-star recruits that are out there. At least we know where they want to be, and will hopefully do their best to make us all proud.

We'll see.

In any case, if this ends up killing off the NZAA, it might be worth the ensuing chaos.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Part of the problem is going to be determining what defines profiting from one's likeness. Properly monitored, it could weed out the jobs wherein a player watches the grass grow.
But why would you? It is your money. If you want to pay Tua to sit in your yard, why can't you - and why can't he take that money?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.