2019-20 Coaching Carousel

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The B1G brought in Rutgers for one reason - to get the Big Ten network into the millions of homes in the Northeast. Bringing in Rutgers has been very beneficial, financially, to the conference.
I think many just don’t understand the markets. It’s why we constantly have a discussion about “why is Mizzou in the SEC?”

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize why The B1G wanted Rutgers and it certainly makes sense from a financial standpoint. It also means teams like Rutgers and Maryland, who will never be able to compete in the B1G, will have to go through the coaching carousel every 2-4 years. If those program's accept the fact that they cannot realistically compete and can settle most years with 6-7 wins and a trip a low level bowl game then they avoid coaching turnover. Somebody like Butch Jones ought to be able to do that occasionally.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think many just don’t understand the markets. It’s why we constantly have a discussion about “why is Mizzou in the SEC?”
I think most posters on here thought Mizzou was a bad fit for the SEC, that it was more in line with the B1G which was what Mizzou wanted according to most media sources at the time. My only remaining complaint is the SEC needs to swap Mizzou for Auburn, geographically and from a a strength of divisions standpoint.

Reactions: CrimsonPaul

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think most posters on here thought Mizzou was a bad fit for the SEC, that it was more in line with the B1G which was what Mizzou wanted according to most media sources at the time. My only remaining complaint is the SEC needs to swap Mizzou for Auburn, geographically and from a a strength of divisions standpoint.
I think that Auburn and Mizzou switch wouldn’t be the end of it. I think us and Vandy would be part of it as well. The IB makes too much money.

Mizzou is a really big pickup for the SEC due to St. Louis and KC markets.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think that Auburn and Mizzou switch wouldn’t be the end of it. I think us and Vandy would be part of it as well. The IB makes too much money.

Mizzou is a really big pickup for the SEC due to St. Louis and KC markets.
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas
TAMU
Mizzou
Vanderbilt

Is a watered down West Division if that is what you are saying. Not disputing what you said, but LSU and TAMU in the West and Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida in the East sounds a little out of balance.

Last edited:

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
The only way I see a division realignment is if the SEC expands to 16 teams adding the 2 expansion teams to the west along with Missouri and moving Alabama and Auburn to the east. Or adding one team to each division and move Missouri and Vanderbilt to the west Alabama and Auburn to the east. This would end permanent cross division games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Schiano left tOSU after last season to go to the Patriots. He then stepped down from them back in March to be ready to take the Rudgers job when it becomes available.. so I think there is a good chance he will get the job.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The only way I see a division realignment is if the SEC expands to 16 teams adding the 2 expansion teams to the west along with Missouri and moving Alabama and Auburn to the east. Or adding one team to each division and move Missouri and Vanderbilt to the west Alabama and Auburn to the east. This would end permanent cross division games.

Good observations, but truthfully the cross division rivalry should not dictate the placement of teams in the SEC. I believe geography plays a role in fans getting to an away game without too much hassle and expense. Balance also plays a huge role in team placement. Short of picking up Texas and Oklahoma, which is unlikely, swapping Mizzou for Auburn and dropping Tennessee as the annual cross division rival in favor of Auburn, to me is a better alignment and puts 3 power teams in each division.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Schiano left tOSU after last season to go to the Patriots. He then stepped down from them back in March to be ready to take the Rudgers job when it becomes available.. so I think there is a good chance he will get the job.
Completely forgot Schiano left tOSU, and did not know he had been with New England.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Completely forgot Schiano left tOSU, and did not know he had been with New England.
Are we positively certain that he is not working as a, ahem, game-day analyst for 'Bama? Surely, or Shirley, Saban would've taken him in a defensive heartbeat by breaking off that branch of the Belichick-Tony Soprano coaching tree. ...

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

The problem with that scenario is the only realistic possibilities that I see for expansion are programs that currently are in eastern, coastal states(Don’t see Oklahoma moving) and it would simply not make geographic sense whatsoever to put them in the SEC West. North Carolina State and Virginia Tech, for instance, in the West just wouldn’t seem right to me.

Last edited:

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
The problem with that scenario is the only realistic possibilities that I see for expansion are programs that currently are in eastern, coastal states(West Virginia is not coastal but is definitely in the eastern US)and it would simply not make geographic sense whatsoever to put them in the SEC West. North Carolina State and Virginia Tech, for instance, in the West just wouldn’t seem right to me.
I agree. I could see the SEC wanting to get into North Carolina or Virginia but a second team would have to be a team in the west and outside of Oklahoma and Texas I don’t see any team that would make add to the conference without the East being at a disadvantage competitively (that is considering moving Alabama and Auburn to the east and Vanderbilt and Missouri to the west. Even if they added Oklahoma to the west it would still be a weak division.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.