Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 12, 2017
don't let the vocal few get in the way. Keep posting ! I love Jalen and hope OU wins every game unless they end up playing us.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Nobody said not to post, Clay...What has been asked is that you respect this board as a guest. This is far and away the most fan/family friendly CFB board on the inter-web. Follow simple rules and enjoy...I don't particularly think that calling one of our mods and most respected members sarcastic and negative is respectful...it is an ALABAMA board for crying out loud..RTR!!!
don't let the vocal few get in the way. Keep posting ! I love Jalen and hope OU wins every game unless they end up playing us.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Jalen Hurts will always hold a special place in Alabama hearts. He could easily have had a tantrum and sulked after losing the starting job, but he is a man of class and I wish him all the best at OK except if he comes up against the Tide.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I wish Jalen well in his personal endeavors. He was our backup QB and he has moved on. If something comes up on Tidefans about him, I will read it to see how he is doing. That being said, I could care less about OU or anything they do. And by the way, we have the best QB in college football, so I am excited about the upcoming year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Jalen has taken to OU like a duck to water; he's everything and more you guys said he is and its recognized and appreciated; thought I would pass along that today when the basketball team was playing Vanderbilt, fans literally lined up in the stands to get their picture taken with him and he accommodated them; he is a huge hit with the players and he and the top QB recruit Spencer Rattler are also hitting it off extremely well
Just so you know, Coach Lincoln Riley and the rest of Sooner Nation is going to do all they can to make him our third Heisman winner in a row; saying that, wouldn't it be something if he and Tua could tie

Just thought you guys might like to hear how he's doing in Norman
Love me some JH, but I'm kinda bummed that:
1- we're going to have to hear updates and references about him all next season, and
2- the OU fans are gonna post here constantly about it.
OU fans have been on both sides of this situation. Trevor Knight was beloved by Sooners for many of the same reasons Alabama fans love Hurts. Reporting on Jalen's acclimation to life in Norman would seem to be a gesture of kindness as both fan bases follow the young man's life journey. Why you feel the need to inject your sarcasm and negative attitude into the discussion is beyond me. It would be like me trashing Freddie Kitchens because he's now Mayfield's head coach. No one expects Hurts to win the HT. This is not an OU vs Alabama thing. This is about one highly respected young man and his journey through life.
Except that anyone with the slightest ability in reading comprehension understands that CA did not in any way come close to criticising, much less trashing, Lincoln or Hurts.

That's without even considering the different between a player advancing to the NFL from college and one transferring from one college to another.

Within reason, everyone is allowed to express their opinion on the matter.

That said, OFD, your attitude of late and apparent personal animus toward CA for calling you out on it seem to be impairing your judgment on how to express your opinion.

As for what this is about: It's about a lot of things, including boundaries and decorum.

I am happy for Jalen. He is an outstanding young man.

But there is a certain amount of gloating going on in a statement that goes "Just so you know, Coach Lincoln Riley and the rest of Sooner Nation is going to do all they can to make him our third Heisman winner in a row", so it is easy to understand why some may not like it. I don't like it. If the smugness and arrogance inherent in that statement were left out then a different response may have occurred.

Get that log out of your own eye first. It's blinding you.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can express my thoughts simply - I hope that Jalen has an incredible season while the Sooners lose. I will pull for the player, not the team.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I , for one, would like to see updates on Jalen from our OU friends. Please don't let a few ill-humoured people turn you off. Keep it coming.
I've said it before.
#1. I'm a Alabama Fan. (Always)
#2. I'm a real Jalen Hurts fan.
Jalen was a great Alabama player.
Jalen will be a great Oklahoma player.

While Jalen is playing for Oklahoma, I will pull for Oklahoma to win em all.
Except... If Alabama and Oklahoma should meet in next years playoffs.
Then... I'll pull for Alabama.
Roll Tide, and yall throw the upside down Hook em Horns sign...
That really gets under The Texas skin. :)

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Except that anyone with the slightest ability in reading comprehension understands that CA did not in any way come close to criticising, much less trashing, Lincoln or Hurts.

That's without even considering the different between a player advancing to the NFL from college and one transferring from one college to another.

Within reason, everyone is allowed to express their opinion on the matter.

That said, OFD, your attitude of late and apparent personal animus toward CA for calling you out on it seem to be impairing your judgment on how to express your opinion.

As for what this is about: It's about a lot of things, including boundaries and decorum.

I am happy for Jalen. He is an outstanding young man.

But there is a certain amount of gloating going on in a statement that goes "Just so you know, Coach Lincoln Riley and the rest of Sooner Nation is going to do all they can to make him our third Heisman winner in a row", so it is easy to understand why some may not like it. I don't like it. If the smugness and arrogance inherent in that statement were left out then a different response may have occurred.

Get that log out of your own eye first. It's blinding you.
Pretty much sums up how I feel. Said more eloquently than I could have. Exactly The reason for my -

It’s too bad that Tua will win the Heisman by the largest vote ever! Jalen is an OU football player, at least until OU finishes their season in a NY6 bowl! Then he will be a Bama player again!
My post may have been unfriendly , but OP’s post about the Heisman comment can be seen not only as a slight of Tua this coming year, but a rub from this past years Heisman Trophy award.
Jalen is my favorite Bama player in some time, he graduated with my niece and was nice enough to pose for pictures with my family members at the ceremony. (My niece received a Masters in Accountancy) . JMO, If it was spring practice, fall practice, actual football related updates without the smug commentary, it may be different.

Last edited:

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
I mentioned "just so you know, and 3rd Heisman" not in gloating but that he may factually be a continued part of top level recognition, he benefits from that the most.

Guys, I'll tell you something; I'm 70 yrs old, was recruited by OU, Okla. St. many others was a National Award winner as a HS Jr., grandson recruited by Saban and his staff not so long ago (long stories so won't go into here); I have Alabama roots having lived there long before Okla. When I played, both ways, we gladly knocked the snot out of people and didn't talk trash we played as though life itself depended on it; all the good teams did; but that was on the field. OFF the field, when I say, I'm trying to be nice or share a nice story, that is exactly what I mean, if I wanted to be mean or tough or whatever, I first just wouldn't bother, but as I indicated, from reading on this site, all the nice things I did about Jalen from fans here it seemed somehow a "nice" thing to share information about a day after he enrolled at OU to and his cont'd love of Bama and new set personal goals and new team, I had thought that most likely you or some of you may not see or have read as it was from a site on OU for former players, recruits, etc. so if you have access, good for you; For many, it seems I read it right that there would be some interest, for others ??, we have those on all boards that no matter what someone posts, just wait someone will likely ridicule it and that's okay too; the moderators here and they seem very good, do a good job keeping it straight. So if I have more information, about Jalen who said plenty about his love of the Tide, I'll have to remember those who do or have some interest in how hes doing; for those of us who have lived beyond a lot of this banter, those things matter, after all don't they teach that aspect of football anymore ? how it helps prepare one for life and it's lessons.........

Folks I knew growing up in Alabama were the salt of the earth and knew how to be and receive nice comments; same for Arkansas and Oklahoma (I will say Arizona is quite different, too close to Calif :) ) If I do post something on Jalen again, I'll put a note of warning up first.....ironic though isn't it? I thought the title clear enough that if someone would be put off by it they wouldn't need to bother reading it

tip of the hat to those who had nice comments, just as I remember from over 50 yrs ago there

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I mentioned "just so you know, and 3rd Heisman" not in gloating but that he may factually be a continued part of top level recognition, he benefits from that the most.

Guys, I'll tell you something; I'm 70 yrs old, was recruited by OU, Okla. St. many others was a National Award winner as a HS Jr., grandson recruited by Saban and his staff not so long ago (long stories so won't go into here); I have Alabama roots having lived there long before Okla. When I played, both ways, we gladly knocked the snot out of people and didn't talk trash we played as though life itself depended on it; all the good teams did; but that was on the field. OFF the field, when I say, I'm trying to be nice or share a nice story, that is exactly what I mean, if I wanted to be mean or tough or whatever, I first just wouldn't bother, but as I indicated, from reading on this site, all the nice things I did about Jalen from fans here it seemed somehow a "nice" thing to share information about a day after he enrolled at OU to and his cont'd love of Bama and new set personal goals and new team, I had thought that most likely you or some of you may not see or have read as it was from a site on OU for former players, recruits, etc. so if you have access, good for you; For many, it seems I read it right that there would be some interest, for others ??, we have those on all boards that no matter what someone posts, just wait someone will likely ridicule it and that's okay too; the moderators here and they seem very good, do a good job keeping it straight. So if I have more information, about Jalen who said plenty about his love of the Tide, I'll have to remember those who do or have some interest in how hes doing; for those of us who have lived beyond a lot of this banter, those things matter, after all don't they teach that aspect of football anymore ? how it helps prepare one for life and it's lessons.........

Folks I knew growing up in Alabama were the salt of the earth and knew how to be and receive nice comments; same for Arkansas and Oklahoma (I will say Arizona is quite different, too close to Calif :) ) If I do post something on Jalen again, I'll put a note of warning up first.....ironic though isn't it? I thought the title clear enough that if someone would be put off by it they wouldn't need to bother reading it

tip of the hat to those who had nice comments, just as I remember from over 50 yrs ago there
Sorry, but the rules of public speaking apply. You failed at connecting with your audience when you strayed from your purpose. No need to get defensive about it - you just missed the mark.

A statement of impending superiority (Heisman) that harkens to a recent sore spot (Heisman) is either quite deliberate or quite tone deaf.

Blaming others (your audience) for your mistake only reinforces my first take on it.

Last edited:

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Thank you for the info on Jalen. I would love to be able to keep up with how he is doing thru Spring and Summer if you’ll keep posting updates here.

He’s a class act and I expect him to be a leader for your team and I expect that he will succeed in Riley’s offensive system.

FWIW, I must be tone deaf too because I didn’t take any offense at all to the Heisman comment and I don’t believe you intended it to be a jab at Bama fans.

Thanks again!

BamaSully

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Thank you for the info on Jalen. I would love to be able to keep up with how he is doing thru Spring and Summer if you’ll keep posting updates here.

He’s a class act and I expect him to be a leader for your team and I expect that he will succeed in Riley’s offensive system.

FWIW, I must be tone deaf too because I didn’t take any offense at all to the Heisman comment and I don’t believe you intended it to be a jab at Bama fans.

Thanks again!

BamaSully
​So you're saying it was deliberate. ;)

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Nobody said not to post, Clay...What has been asked is that you respect this board as a guest. This is far and away the most fan/family friendly CFB board on the inter-web. Follow simple rules and enjoy...I don't particularly think that calling one of our mods and most respected members sarcastic and negative is respectful...it is an ALABAMA board for crying out loud..RTR!!!
I liken this whole episode as in like having a girlfriend that you are having a great, but fleeting, relationship with, someone else has come along, and she decides that it might be best for all concerned to look for greener pastures. Totally understandable, so you sincerely wish her the best, but then she decides to hook up with one of your friends, and then your 'friend' wants to call you and tell you how great it is with your ex. I will always appreciate that Jalen has accomplished at Bama, but I've moved on. I'm glad for both of them, but do I really want the details as to how much better his CFB life might be with OU? Hey, Bama, Jalen was yours, but he's ours now, and we will appreciate him more, and will treat him better, than you ever did. And with OU, he has a better chance at winning the Heisman, because that's what we do. I may not have phrased this as well as I would like to impart, but I think you guys will understand the concept. I'm sure the OP is sincere in giving us an update, and I thank him for the heads-up, but...

ROLL TIDE!

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
Hope the OU guys DO post. I've looked into a couple of their boards but don't think I will be able to stand them often. Whatever happened to--was his name WishboneSooner? A long timer here who was a good guy! I don't remember him being around when we played them this year.

RTR

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I liken this whole episode as in like having a girlfriend that you are having a great, but fleeting, relationship with, someone else has come along, and she decides that it might be best for all concerned to look for greener pastures. Totally understandable, so you sincerely wish her the best, but then she decides to hook up with one of your friends, and then your 'friend' wants to call you and tell you how great it is with your ex. I will always appreciate that Jalen has accomplished at Bama, but I've moved on. I'm glad for both of them, but do I really want the details as to how much better his CFB life might be with OU? Hey, Bama, Jalen was yours, but he's ours now, and we will appreciate him more, and will treat him better, than you ever did. And with OU, he has a better chance at winning the Heisman, because that's what we do. I may not have phrased this as well as I would like to impart, but I think you guys will understand the concept. I'm sure the OP is sincere in giving us an update, and I thank him for the heads-up, but...

ROLL TIDE!
I actually had similar thoughts, but it's not that I don't want to hear about Jalen. It's just the extra jabs I can do without, intentional or not.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Hope the OU guys DO post. I've looked into a couple of their boards but don't think I will be able to stand them often. Whatever happened to--was his name WishboneSooner? A long timer here who was a good guy! I don't remember him being around when we played them this year.

RTR
He posted here not long ago to congratulate us on the win against UGA. Good guy. I can't remember him ever stirring the pot.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This seems so petty... Jalen is my favorite player of the last 5 years. I can pretty confidently say that most Alabama fans on here are eager to hear about positive news going on regarding him. Especially during the offseason and especially when the poster was being respectful.

Anyone saying the heisman comment was an intended jab is just grasping at straws to put the poster down bc he’s an OU guy IMO

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Jalen Hurts is already making a strong impression at Oklahoma.

The transfer quarterback showed up at the Sooners' basketball game against Vanderbilt Saturday afternoon, and fans were very excited to see him.

Hurts joined coach Lincoln Riley and several football players who showed off the Sooners' Big 12 championship trophy. Hurts even threw T-shirts into the crowd.

During halftime, fans stood in line to meet and take photos with Hurts.
https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-hurts-meets-oklahoma-fans-223010578.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.