Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Thanks for the link. Trump may actually lose a few more counties up in North Alabama but I still doubt he loses the state. As I said earlier, as a non-government worker with no family or friends that work for the government either I see very little difference in my life. And the links you provided paint a dire picture for a few areas on Alabama but I think most areas are not feeling the sting that much. Unless the effects of this shutdown start to affect more people I think Trump still locks in Alabama and most of the other states like Alabama. The Democratic candidate will honestly just be competing for Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, etc.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Believe it or not, there is already a nascent birther movement fomenting over Sen. Harris's candidacy. Challenging that her Jamaican / Indian parents were not citizens when she was born. Or some other preposterous conspiracy theory.
Her mom came here in 1960 and her dad in 1961 and she was born in 1964 in Oakland.

I have seen that and it is nonsense. My Facebook buddy shared some page the other day saying she supported worldwide Islamification. Which is strange since she isn’t Muslim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Her mom came here in 1960 and her dad in 1961 and she was born in 1964 in Oakland.

I have seen that and it is nonsense. My Facebook buddy shared some page the other day saying she supported worldwide Islamification. Which is strange since she isn’t Muslim.

What?!? You do not get all of your news off of Facebook? Where else could you possibly hear all of the VERY TRUTHFUL conspiracy theories?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Thanks for the link. Trump may actually lose a few more counties up in North Alabama but I still doubt he loses the state. As I said earlier, as a non-government worker with no family or friends that work for the government either I see very little difference in my life. And the links you provided paint a dire picture for a few areas on Alabama but I think most areas are not feeling the sting that much. Unless the effects of this shutdown start to affect more people I think Trump still locks in Alabama and most of the other states like Alabama. The Democratic candidate will honestly just be competing for Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, etc.
Check out the link about the farmers.
His support is dropping in every demographic of his base, except the Nazis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am fine with her not being old enough. Let her do a few terms in congress and if she still holds this appeal she will beat anybody.
Yeah, need to find out if she is just "a one hit wonder". She has a lot to learn, but at this point she is about as stable as the Freedom Caucus members.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, need to find out if she is just "a one hit wonder". She has a lot to learn, but at this point she is about as stable as the Freedom Caucus members.
She’s got cojones, she’s quick and she’s smart.
If she learns to pick her battles wisely she will be a force to be reckoned with.
I have to look at all the Dems deeply (so many), but what I know of most of them is negative. Only one in the “list” currently I’d vote for - that could change.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is what Trump said back in October:

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years, with all of those benefits,” Mr. Trump told Axios during an interview that was released in part on Tuesday, making a false claim. “It’s ridiculous. It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.”
Then, further from the NYT:

Mr. Trump told Axios that while he initially believed he needed a constitutional amendment or action by Congress to make the change, the White House Counsel’s Office has advised him otherwise.
“Now they’re saying I can do it just with an executive order,” Mr. Trump said. The White House did not immediately respond to requests for clarification of the legal grounds the president’s lawyers have given him for validating such a move.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The idea that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to immigrants is an idea that Miller has pushed for a long time...
The argument is that it was intended for former slaves. But that’s not what they wrote in the amendment.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's strange. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but I don't remember them getting all upset about that. I wonder what Harris and Obama have in common? :conf3:
I've long suspected Trump was hatched from an egg and just maybe we should research the Constitution to see if that disqualifies him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The argument is that it was intended for former slaves. But that’s not what they wrote in the amendment.

The SCOTUS in the Wong Kim Ark case of 1897, ruling that he was a "natural-born citizen," said, over and over again, the following:

"Nothing is better settled at the common law than the doctrine that the children, even of aliens, born in a country while the parents are resident there under the protection of the government and owing a temporary allegiance thereto, are subjects by birth."

Earlier in the case, the court stated that both his parents were legal, permanent residents. Miller, and apparently Trump, have seized upon this language and hold that the parent must be permanent residents, and not just transients. Of course, in Harris's case, even that falls apart because her parents are still here, first as permanent residents and now as citizens.

They've never been able to get past "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is what Trump said back in October:

Then, further from the NYT:
And yet the wives of Russian oligarchs came to Florida to stay in his hotel and do just that.
I guess he forgot about that.
Still to this day it boggles my mind that anyone could support this pile of garbage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can you imagine if Obama had said he could change the second amendment by an executive order?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
And yet the wives of Russian oligarchs came to Florida to stay in his hotel and do just that.
I guess he forgot about that.
Still to this day it boggles my mind that anyone could support this pile of garbage.

Well said. Focus on everything but the most critical issues that are important to the future of the country. Talk about building a wall endlessly when our streets, roads and airports sink into disrepair. Anything they do become involved in such as trade becomes an unmitigated disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads