VA Gov - College Year book pics - black face

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I took a wild guess as to who would start a thread about this mess. If I was right, I decided to have a deluxe breakfast to start the day. :smile: After checking this morning, I'm headed to get a custom made omelette with all the extras.

The GOP spin on his views on abortion don't bother me, but the KKK/blackface stuff is disqualifying.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I feel sure that his beliefs and philosophies toward race relations have changed since 1984. I also believe that as a physician he has helped many children and their families. We have no way to know what was in his heart then and after, but the fact remains his actions were offensive and certainly not becoming of the chief executive of the commonwealth of Virginia. Democrat or Republican he should step aside.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Honestly, he's a doctor, and he emphasized working with/on minority kids during his recent election campaign. At least that is what I recall his campaign ads emphasizing (and being a VMI alum, which is big in the Commonwealth).
I do not think this kills him. He was a college student in the 1980s doing something dumb and insensitive. I never did anything this dumb/insensitive in front of a camera while I was a college student in the 1980s.
He's lived an exemplary life since as an Army doctor that treated casualties in the Gulf War, and as a pediatric neurologist. Absent any proof of more recent, or a pattern of racism, I'd give him a pass.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Several thoughts:

Northam did something stupid, even in the context of the 1980s. As my mother says, we all climb Fool's Hill at some point. Some of us come back down. Others don't. Based on his life after college, Northam seems to be one of the former, with the misfortune of a photographic record of his long-ago time on the hill.

How nobody noticed this in the intervening 35 or so years, I don't know. As others have posted, Republican opponent research was tremendously lacking.

Add this to the growing list of mainstream media screw-ups. CNN calls him a Republican, because that fits their pre-conceived notion that no Democrat could possibly have done something like this at any time in his life. Other Democrats come to his defense.

Can you imagine the outcry if Northam were in fact a conservative Republican? It would be all Northam all the time. Deafening and never-ending. But as it is, journalistic mistakes are lightly touched, if they're acknowledged at all. Logical inconsistencies are let lie, and all the cameras and microphones are pointing in other more confirming directions..

Add this to the Catholic kid in the MAGA hat, the thug who provoked a stoic Native American, showing us all how mean and nasty conservative kids have been brainwashed. Except it turns out he was the bullied one, and handled it with class far beyond his years. And the sweet irony is that what brought all this to light is a video shot by one of the most radical left groups in the country.

Or the Empire actor who was mugged in Chicago by racist homophobes wearing MAGA hats and shouting slurs and "MAGA Country". Except that it now looks like it didn't happen that way....that was just what reporters wanted to have happened. The mugging was bad, and the perps deserve to be severely punished. But even the victim is backing away from the more political parts of the narrative, and decrying "inaccuracies in reporting."

On abortion in general, I feel strongly both ways, and actually think SCOTUS got it right in the initial ruling. Before three months strikes me as the right dividing line. Rape, incest, life of the mother, fine. But Northam's advocacy of third trimester, when the child is actually viable (I have a great nephew who was born at 6 months)....I just don't know how anybody can not see that as murder.

In fact, we often do. If a third party kills a pregnant woman, the killer is often charged with two murders -- the mother and the unborn child. So it's "control over her body" if the mother willingly contracts for the death of a six-month fetus, but murder if somebody else does it?

The mental gymnastics on that are mind-boggling, and I'm no longer even a bit surprised that Northam and other proponents aren't called out to reconcile the inconsistency.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I feel sure that his beliefs and philosophies toward race relations have changed since 1984. I also believe that as a physician he has helped many children and their families. We have no way to know what was in his heart then and after, but the fact remains his actions were offensive and certainly not becoming of the chief executive of the commonwealth of Virginia. Democrat or Republican he should step aside.
This is really interesting.
His actions in 1984 were not an endorsement of the KKK. He was (awkwardly) attempting humor through the juxtaposition of a KKK member keeping company with a black person.
To Republicans, he is a cudgel with which to beat Democrats. Criticizing him has nothing to do with really improving race relations. He is a convenient tool to be discarded when no longer useful.
To Democrats, he is a receptacle into which all their hatred of white supremacy can he thrown, and discarded like a used condom.

Do you honestly believe Ralph Northam believes in white supremacy or endorses the KKK? The photo was from 34 years ago he is mocking the KKK. I see no reason to believe he believed in white supremacy and endorsed the KKK even in 1984.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Read it again.

Northam is drawing a distinction between 'severely deformed" and "nonviable" infants (his words, not mine). "Nonviable" infants do not need to be resuscitated. In fact, resuscitation is impossible for nonviable infants. (For the record Tran's bill does not embrace any such limits for third trimester abortions.)

You may get your way. He is my governor and I would place the blackface episode in the larger context of saving the lives and improving the health of probably thousands of children including a large percentage of black children. I have no problem with a stupid college pic especially in light of his subsequent conduct.
i read it the first time and and then re-read it and think the same thing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Shaggy Defense I see.

Pelosi has cancelled him though, he's done, arguably the most powerful democrat politician in the country has called for him to step down. Guess what is next?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
1. The GOP is clearly trying to blow Northam's remarks into something they're not. I have friends who suffered this exact sort of tragedy; his remarks are accurate.

2. Furthermore, the idea that it should take three doctors to approve a late-term abortion is the same sort of nonsense as the Texas and Louisiana bills--a transparent attempt to place so many barriers as to make it impractical.

3. Given his subsequent record, I'd say he's demonstrated that he's moved beyond the idiocy of youth. The recent announcement that he doesn't think it's him and he has not recollection of ever doing that, though, is odd. Why didn't he take that position from the beginning?

4. In any event, he's Virginia's problem; here in Alabama, we have more than our share of state-level embarrassments.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was a joke. A very bad, senseless joke, but a joke, nevertheless. I remember now why I never ran for office past the college level...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Let's face human nature: is there any part of your presence in HS or college yearbooks you're not 1,000% aware of, having periodically opened the up over the years, reliving old days?

And this is the best he can come up with, 35 years after the fact, and a week into the fecal storm? "It's been on my page for 35 years, but I don't think it's me. Or, at least, I have no recollection of that picture. I have no idea how it got there."

Really? That's worse than the picture taken of a college kid doing something stupid. It's telling the general public he believes that they (the public) are benighted enough to buy it.

Please. It was the dumb act of a bulletproof college kid a long time ago. Own it.

I don't like Northam's politics, but I'm not hanging him out to dry for this -- there are far too many far more substantive things to disagree on.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It was a joke. A very bad, senseless joke, but a joke, nevertheless. I remember now why I never ran for office past the college level...
I'm just so glad youtube and facebook did not exist when I was younger. It's bad enough that some things I've posted here will keep me off the judiciary and other public appointed positions.

Not condoning or making excuses, but *newsflash* stupid young people do stupid things.

I hope we haven't gotten to the point that a stupid youthful mistake means you are barred from employment or serving your fellow man in public office for life.

That said, an apology combined with real action to make a difference to improve the lives of minorities would go a long way. That will never be enough for some, but if all we do is punish the bad man without learning something deeper then I'm afraid the lesson is "don't make pictures when doing stupid things" rather than something more that may not only change the conversation but the direction of people and government. That may not be the popular opinion, but the majority is not always right. If he feels this makes him incapable of doing his job effectively then he should resign.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Let's face human nature: is there any part of your presence in HS or college yearbooks you're not 1,000% aware of, having periodically opened the up over the years, reliving old days?

And this is the best he can come up with, 35 years after the fact, and a week into the fecal storm? "It's been on my page for 35 years, but I don't think it's me. Or, at least, I have no recollection of that picture. I have no idea how it got there."

Really? That's worse than the picture taken of a college kid doing something stupid. It's telling the general public he believes that they (the public) are benighted enough to buy it.

Please. It was the dumb act of a bulletproof college kid a long time ago. Own it.

I don't like Northam's politics, but I'm not hanging him out to dry for this -- there are far too many far more substantive things to disagree on.
All I did was post the information. Frankly, this change in his statements is more reason to resign IMO than the original story.

It looks like you posted this just prior to my subsequent post above. It is true that if my life was recorded - even at that age - it might not stand up to public scrutiny. That was exponentially stupid for someone at that age with ambition to run for public office.

I do wish we learned a lesson from this different than "hide your stupidity and racism so you don't lose everything down the line" because that's all it seems we are learning. We aren't learning that people can grow or change. We aren't learning that doing something like this should make you redouble your efforts to learn and advocate for change that benefits minorities. We aren't learning that one should admit their mistakes and do what they can to make society better for more people.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm just so glad youtube and facebook did not exist when I was younger. It's bad enough that some things I've posted here will keep me off the judiciary and other public appointed positions.

Not condoning or making excuses, but *newsflash* stupid young people do stupid things.

I hope we haven't gotten to the point that a stupid youthful mistake means you are barred from employment or serving your fellow man in public office for life.

That said, an apology combined with real action to make a difference to improve the lives of minorities would go a long way. That will never be enough for some, but if all we do is punish the bad man without learning something deeper then I'm afraid the lesson is "don't make pictures when doing stupid things" rather than something more that may not only change the conversation but the direction of people and government. That may not be the popular opinion, but the majority is not always right. If he feels this makes him incapable of doing his job effectively then he should resign.
My last semester in law school, I interviewed for a DOJ job. I had already been granted a tuition scholarship from NYU equivalent to $64K in today's dollars, so, not much chance I would take the job anyway. I thought the interview went well until the final question: "Do you advocate the overthrow of lawfully constituted authority by violent means?" I looked at him a long time and finally said "Whose?" That wouldn't do. Had to be "yes" or "no." No explanations. So, I said "yes," all the time wondering if this idiot had ever heard of the American Revolution. This was Viet Nam era - demonstrations, etc. There was no tolerance for a snippy answer. Later, I realized that that answer would be in my FBI file forever. Probably even until now...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
My last semester in law school, I interviewed for a DOJ job. I had already been granted a tuition scholarship from NYU equivalent to $64K in today's dollars, so, not much chance I would take the job anyway. I thought the interview went well until the final question: "Do you advocate the overthrow of lawfully constituted authority by violent means?" I looked at him a long time and finally said "Whose?" That wouldn't do. Had to be "yes" or "no." No explanations. So, I said "yes," all the time wondering if this idiot had ever heard of the American Revolution. This was Viet Nam era - demonstrations, etc. There was no tolerance for a snippy answer. Later, I realized that that answer would be in my FBI file forever. Probably even until now...
Ironic that America was doing exactly that at the time and has many other times.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
1. The GOP is clearly trying to blow Northam's remarks into something they're not. I have friends who suffered this exact sort of tragedy; his remarks are accurate.

2. Furthermore, the idea that it should take three doctors to approve a late-term abortion is the same sort of nonsense as the Texas and Louisiana bills--a transparent attempt to place so many barriers as to make it impractical.

3. Given his subsequent record, I'd say he's demonstrated that he's moved beyond the idiocy of youth. The recent announcement that he doesn't think it's him and he has not recollection of ever doing that, though, is odd. Why didn't he take that position from the beginning?

4. In any event, he's Virginia's problem; here in Alabama, we have more than our share of state-level embarrassments.
there were two or three big greek costume parties at bama in the late 80s that had a lot of folks who dressed up in black face. i'm really surprised more of those haven't surfaced

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Crazies on both sides are pouring through stuff just looking for nuggets like this. Somebody struck gold for sure.
A certain local talk show host, in that market, has told those of us who are family or long-term friends that this photo started circulating a year or two ago. He had no way to authenticate it, and chose to ignore it. If he knew, so did a lot of others.

Remember, the gubner was the Lt. Gov. He isn't Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

They knew.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.