Special lighting at BDS

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Done before the game/when the team is comming out of the locker room, at halftime with the BAND music and when the game is over is fine with me but I could see problems with it during the game.
Like someone already stated: Quit putting all the eye-candy/distrctions and so on. A little of it is ok but I go to a game to watch the teams and hopefully hear the band instead of all the flashing gadgetry.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It all seems like over-the-top theatrics to me. But I'm an old fogey and not a hot-shot recruit. So what do I know?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
It all seems like over-the-top theatrics to me. But I'm an old fogey and not a hot-shot recruit. So what do I know?
From one old fogey to another: Does your heart skip a beat when a stadium goes dark, because, like me, you remember when it used to take 10-15 minutes for the lights to warm back up to full strength, and you still don't trust the LEDs to come right back on?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
From one old fogey to another: Does your heart skip a beat when a stadium goes dark, because, like me, you remember when it used to take 10-15 minutes for the lights to warm back up to full strength, and you still don't trust the LEDs to come right back on?
Yep.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I know I’m probably the only one who didn’t care for the new lights. Seemed like a circus. Reminded me of arena football. Sensory overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know I’m probably the only one who didn’t care for the new lights. Seemed like a circus. Reminded me of arena football. Sensory overload.
I don't think that I would have enjoyed it live, but it was cool on TV. The kids seemed to love it. I wonder what the players and recruits thought.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I don't think that I would have enjoyed it live, but it was cool on TV. The kids seemed to love it. I wonder what the players and recruits thought.
I know it’s probably a hit with the younger generation especially. The thought that kept coming to mind was, “ Is it all about creating a fan experience now”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I was there and thought it was pretty cool actually especially when the teams are lining up for kickoff. All the light is focused on the field so your sort of sitting in dim light in the stands now which makes it more easier to see.

A friend of mine and I joked could you imagine UT doing this with orange LEDs? You might have everyone in the stadium getting nauseous...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I was there last night and the lighting was the coolest thing I have seen is do in 25 years. The place was electric. I have not seen Bama fans standing for the first 10 minutes in any game at Bryant Denny in years. The players and recruits absolutely love the lighting.

I will tell you how impressive it was. Took my girlfriend who is a huge Auburn fan. She wore all Bama gear for me and cheered us on. When the lighting was introduced in the first QTR she turned to me and said. Wow. That is awesome. We have to get this at Auburn.

I have not seen the fans and players get as excited as they did at every time out and tv stoppage.

I thought it was a HOME RUN!!!!

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
JMO but the lighting was amazing. The crowd was electric. I havent seen/heard it like that in years. Not to mention i'm sure the recruits loved it. The players were very pumped up as well. i'm all for whatever it takes to create an electric atmosphere. I hate the sitting on hands crowd. looks a whole lot cooler in person than on television

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
JMO but the lighting was amazing. The crowd was electric. I havent seen/heard it like that in years. Not to mention i'm sure the recruits loved it. The players were very pumped up as well. i'm all for whatever it takes to create an electric atmosphere. I hate the sitting on hands crowd. looks a whole lot cooler in person than on television
I agree! It gave me chills. It's just that little extra "umph" especially for folks like me that have been going to BD for years. I was disappointed when I came home and saw it on TV. It doesn't do it justice, trust me. You really have to see it in person to get the full effect. Weird thing is I loved the darkness mixed in as well. I know, sounds crazy but it made the lights that much more dramatic. Can't wait to congratulate Greg Byrne in person for his part in it. We are BLESSED to have him at UA!

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
As an electrical engineer & lighting designer I was as excited to see the LED lighting as I was the Bama-UT game. Not disappointed at all, lighting was cool, definitely better in person. Game turned out alright as well.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
My middle son was in the student section and my oldest was sitting with me. We were all impressed and really thought the way the LEDs were used really added to the game. It got the crowd more energized than I've seen in a long time. The place was rocking! Straight up, it was the coolest thing I've ever seen at a ballgame and I can't wait to take my youngest son to the next game! He will love it.

Even the UT fan that was sitting next to me was impressed. Didn't stop me from making snide comments about the Viles though...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Man, some people here probably want everyone to remain seated so they can see and, think anything more than a golf clap is over the top.

I thought the lights were amazing. Looked great on TV, I can’t image how much fun it was in person.

SunTrust Park does some similar things at Braves games but, their’s don’t change colors. I love it when they dim the lights during opposing team mound visits and we do the chop with our phones lit up. Braves need to upgrade to color changing ones so they can turn the field red or blue at times.

I wonder if they’ll have to put seizure warnings on the tickets now. My wife did say that she can never go to a game now, not that she cares too. Flashing lights like that give her headaches. She doesn’t even like the lights at Church of the Highlands.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Man, some people here probably want everyone to remain seated so they can see and, think anything more than a golf clap is over the top.
Seriously? The lights might be a little much for me, but I don't sit down at football games, HS, college or NFL. I suffer from migraine headaches and would worry about the effect of the lighting. But if the kids and the players like it, then I am all for it. This game is for the young. Us old folks are only spectators.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.