Interesting series on PAC 12 problems

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
As a fellow Arizona TideFan, I can confirm that the Pac-12 league office is an unmitigated disaster. I've suspected for a few years that Byrne's eyes are on that job.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The part about their athletes getting smaller is much more important than the finances imo. They need more schools that recruit nationally instead of regionally.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This is what happens when you settle for less than the best.
Football is dying on the vine...
Mediocrity is eating them from the inside out.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
This is what happens when you settle for less than the best.
Football is dying on the vine...
Mediocrity is eating them from the inside out.
A couple years ago I was listening to the round table and they were trying yo rate football conferences. They said the PAC12 division that has Oregon in it ( I do not know which one that is) was second only to the SECWest and may surpass them that year. It's amazing what a few years does.

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
Not disagreeing regarding athlete sizes, but part of the point of the article is how the two are tied together, perhaps not so obviously. There are specific things that the league has done which prevent Washington from recruiting like Florida does.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not disagreeing regarding athlete sizes, but part of the point of the article is how the two are tied together, perhaps not so obviously. There are specific things that the league has done which prevent Washington from recruiting like Florida does.
I just read every word of the article and I see some serious stupidity, but I don't see anything that would keep these schools from recruiting in the South. And, to be clear, some of the schools in the PAC are among the wealthiest schools in America, and they have some of the best facilities in America. Some schools in other conferences can barely keep the lights on. Heck, LSU (and that entire state) fights bankruptcy every year.

They have greedy men on power trips running things in the PAC, but they are not competitive at a national level because they have weak coaching. Put Saban, Meyer or Swinney at a number of those schools and they would win immediately.

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
Would Tennessee be a better team with Chris Peterson coaching them? (hint, yes)
Would Mike Leach win more games with Ole Miss athletes than with WSU athletes? (hint, yes)
Would Chip Kelly be a good coach at Florida and a bad coach at UCLA? (hint, no)
Is Ed Orgeron a bad coach at USC and a good one at LSU? (trick question, don't answer that!)

But your point about relative coaching strength (again, which I do agree with in general) still proves the larger issue ... the PAC-12, in various ways, as created an environment where football is not prioritized. That leads to things like "smaller athletes" and "worse coaches".

I am telling you, Larry Scott is a problem. The University CEO group is a problem. The state of football is the symptom. And it is a big and expensive one.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I all comes down to coaches. It always has. Conference strength ebbs and flows based on the coaches leading the programs. The rest of this is just excuses.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
It is perplexing that the conference headquarters are located in San Francisco. Having lived there for 18 years, I can tell you there is very little interest in college football.

I heard Mark Packer on the radio a few weeks ago, blasting the USC fans for a half empty stadium for the UCLA rivalry game. I can’t ever remember a less than full stadium for the iron bowl, even during the down years.

It’s hard to believe the conference with USC and the rose bowl is #5 of the power 5.

All I could think about when I was reading the article was, I hope our recruiters have a copy of this!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
SanFran also happens to be home to the biggest real estate boom in decades and it started right around when Larry Scott wanted to move there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is interesting.

Link

National expert: Chris Steele, 5-star physical CB and Florida commit, considered Pac-12 officiating when weighing decision

I read this elsewhere this AM and was going to post it, if you hadn't. AFAIC, SEC refs allow a bit too much in the way of physical corner play...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.