New SEC Basketball Coaches

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama - Nate Oats
Vanderbilt - Jerry Stackhouse
Texas A&M - Buzz Williams (expected to be complete within a day or two)
Arkansas -
LSU?

Arkansas was expected to hire Kelvin Sampson. Reports are Nevada coach Eric Musselman is in town for a visit today.

The Vanderbilt hire did not go over very well yesterday. Stackhouse is a G-League coach right now with zero college experience and no connection to Vanderbilt.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Very odd hire by Vandy, imo. Sampson will win. He always does. Buzz Williams is probably a good hire for aTm but you really never know, do you?

LSU? Very interesting situation. Are they thinking Wade might make it back? Heck, Wade might be in prison if things go just a certain way.

rtr

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Alabama - Nate Oats
Arkansas -
LSU?

Arkansas was expected to hire Kelvin Sampson. Reports are Nevada coach Eric Musselman is in town for a visit today.

The Vanderbilt hire did not go over very well yesterday. Stackhouse is a G-League coach right now with zero college experience and no connection to Vanderbilt.
I said at the time that Vandy made a mistake firing Bryce Drew. Yes, this past season was a disaster but Bryce is a good coach and I think he could turn them around. For Vandy, Bryce Drew is about as good as you could expect to get.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I said at the time that Vandy made a mistake firing Bryce Drew. Yes, this past season was a disaster but Bryce is a good coach and I think he could turn them around. For Vandy, Bryce Drew is about as good as you could expect to get.
Stackhouse is a reach of Wiltian (Chamberlain) proportions. Sixers career when I knew (of) him by way of UNC. At least Avery had some familiarity with the region where he was having a go as a college coach. Edit: Looks like he played for Avery in Dallas, so there's that...

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Alabama - Nate Oats
Arkansas -
LSU?

Was hearing Sampson wants his son given the "coach in waiting" label if he's coaching at Houston or at Arky.

The Vandy hire does seem weird ... I think that was because of his connection to the new AD. Thinking it may be a CAJ situation all over again.

LSU may be in a real interesting situation if they don't personally make a decision on Wade. Not seeing how they can wait this one out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Doubt Stackhouse will take same route as Avery because Stackhouse has done great job of developing players in G league.. and he can relate to the players. I think he will be fine at Vandy... The way he handles things aren't the same as Avery...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, someone on the radio the other day was saying that even with Nate Oats we had one of if not the least accomplished staff in the SEC moving forward. I don't think that's a negative for Nate Oats as much as a testament to the number of very successful coaches we have in this league now. It's like an all-star team.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Looks like the Arkansas search has turned into somewhat of a disaster...

Link

Steve Alford, Formerly UCLA

Fire: Though we couldn't originally confirm Jeff Goodman's report from Tuesday night that Steve Alford is in the mix for the job, a source confirmed to HawgBeat that Alford was the fourth coach that Arkansas AD Hunter Yurachek talked to after Musselman, McCaffrey and Pitino Monday and Tuesday. The source close to Alford's camp says the search has come down to two, Alford and another coach that has been talked to as well. The AD's communications with Alford's camp began last week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not that i'm disappointed in Nate Oats at all, but with a Buzz Williams willing to leave the ACC, why not pursue? Of course, they may have and been rebuffed.
He coached at TAMU in the 90s. There really wasn’t a chance of getting him since Kennedy was fired before Avery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.