Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I just wished we took a harder stance and fired him for cause, but I'm sure that deal was cut last night that he would walk away while we fired him with cause instead of going to harder route and firing him for cause and going through the courts to settle things while he fought it. Just best to cut ties and get gone!
Yeah, what a scam...............get paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for being a horrible coach, and most likely, an even worse human being.

Almost makes you wonder if he had a plan............................and it didn't involve any steenking pickles, either.

(Which might be the definition of slack. See above.)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
If you fire for cause you are basically admitting he violated NCAA rules or had other ethical issues. Either of those would invite the NCAA to snoop. We all know BAMA football would make some NCAA investigator a hero. Therefore, fire without cause and avoid any snooping. Note I am not saying there is any reason football should be scared but, don't give the NCAA a reason to hang around. Besides, to fire for cause would've been bad. There are things Ben Jones has and sat on. The scholly stunt was nothing compared to the rest.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks...I had not read those before. That really helped me understand it.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Glad he's gone. Our guys probably played every game worried they would screw up and he would yank their scholarship. I do know from very good sources that the way he would insult and belittle the players was way beyond bad. Hope we can find the right guy to bring BAMA baseball back.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I doubt he is getting the full value of his contract. Its was probably put to him that we could do this the easy way or the hard way - his choice. At least this way he can somewhat preserve a future opportunity in baseball as a profession. Going the hard way would have likely finished him as a coach at either the college or high school level.

I suspect something similar happened with Sonny Galloway at Auburn. He chose the hard way trying to call their bluff. He lost and as far as I know is not in baseball at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, aTm, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.
Lottery money, for in-state recruits, pays for a lot of the student maintains a certain GPA.

So yeah, if you have a handful of 'local' kids who are getting lottery money to supplement what the scholly doesn't cover, it's a big bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
How's that? We've had a lottery for +\- 20 years

Could it be because Vandy is a private school? If I'm not mistaken, in Georgia you have to attend a public or state university/college.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
I still can't believe that Bill Battle with advise from Greg Byrne hired Goff. Turns out that he was in way over his head. No excuse for such actions and threats to players of taking away their scholarships. I hope the next coach will be able to rebuild what is left and somehow bring in some new kids. Hate it for the players and the whole program. I just did not think they would have hired him not knowing anything like this was possible in his past. They had to have gotten some references as we all have to give when applying for a new job. Anyway, just glad they totally cut ties.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...Anyway, just glad they totally cut ties.
Scooter, if that's you lending a helping hand from "deep in the hole" or from high above, now that you've got Goofy gone, anything you can do about that overeducated chimp in the NYY dugout for, what, 10 years now?

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Scooter, if that's you lending a helping hand from "deep in the hole" or from high above, now that you've got Goofy gone, anything you can do about that overeducated chimp in the NYY dugout for, what, 10 years now?
Not the Scooter. Just the Cub Fan, Bud Man, Harry Caray. To many of the old guys gone. Would you take another Billy Martin for Joe?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Not the Scooter. Just the Cub Fan, Bud Man, Harry Caray. To many of the old guys gone. Would you take another Billy Martin for Joe?

Ha! Even a Stump Merrill-Buckwheat Showalter "hybrid" would beat the chimp's brains into a cocked hat!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Hearing how Goff supposedly treated the players, I have to wonder what on earth made him think he can treat young men that way and get away with it, especially in the world we live in today?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was unaware you could use a lottery scholarship at a private school in Tennessee. Thanks for the correction.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Chris Stewart was on Wimp and Barry Sanderson's show yesterday. Like the way he put Goff's arrival to UA.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
My son got to know CGG's oldest daughter through some mutual friends. She's even been in our home on multiple occasions and struck me as a very sweet, respectful, and likable young lady. I definitely feel for the families of these guys. Like Chris Stewart, I'm not debating whether CGG should have been let go or not. But knowing what this has to be like for these families, I really hate seeing folks publicly blast a guy on social media, knowing the human cost of these decisions, and knowing full well their kids follow their fathers on Twitter and elsewhere. It's pretty classless, IMHO.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.