Pondering the future... Bama/Saban/QB

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
ALSO, Locksley could be lured away and Enos "promoted" (in quotes bc he's already associate head coach) to OC.

Mack, great info as always but I would be very surprised If Enos stays around that long. The job he is doing with our QB's is getting nationwide attention and rightfully so. Somebody will lure him away.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Yeah, Im going to go with " he stays for his senior year and helps the younger brother". The family is tight."
... there is also chance that "he does NOT stay for his senior year, if it helps the younger brother" see the field earlier.

... provided there is an obvious separation of performance between Taulia and the other candidates; Jones, Tyson, et al.

... just a thought :)

hadTTownGparnts

Nov 30, 2017
Since we're pondering...its 2020, Tua's 30-0 as a starter with a pair of Heisman trophies and 3 championship rings... What could bring him back despite being a lock for #1 in the NFL draft? It might have something to do with 1901 and wanting a very lonely opposable thumb. Hanging with the GOAT and kid bro wouldn't hurt. Its too taboo to say, I feel wrong even thinking it. There's just no way, right?

Unreal times we are blessed with, in Saban I trust.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Thompson Warriors. I'm at every game, home and away.

As good as Taulia's numbers already are, 8-10 drops per game is common. At this level, you just have to gauge accuracy by ball placement, and not always by completions. Taulia with the kind of receiver talent Bama is capable of recruiting... well, that is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I HIGHLY recommend catching a Thompson game to anyone who is able. Mark Freeman is a brilliant play caller and runs a tight program. If you can't come to a game, remember ESPN has Tyson v. Taulia on 10/26! Mark your calendars and hold on to your butts!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If the season plays out as expected, I would expect Locksley and Enos both to become highly sought after, valuable commodities. I would like to lock both of them down but the likelihood is we will have to replace both of them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm replying to the original post:

If Tua continues to play the way he has thus far, he should not stay in Tuscaloosa 1 second longer than he has to. He will be a very wealthy man. Teams will be vying for his services, and those at or near the top will move mountains to get him (New York Giants, LA Chargers, perhaps Tampa Bay and Miami as well).

Now, moving forward, let's temper some expectations. Tualia is VERY good....but he isn't Tua. I don't want anyone to take for granted what they're seeing right now. Tua is a once in a generation talent. However, the level of talent that Coach Saban is assembling in Tuscaloosa for such an extended period of time will likely never be seen again (only rivaled by that 90s to early 00s Miami run). Taulia can be special with all he'll have around him.

BUT....Taulia isn't the only QB in the upcoming class. As one of my really good friends (who played for Coach Bryant) has told me, he feels that the pressure to play Paul Tyson over Taulia is what will run Coach Saban out of Tuscaloosa (I disagree wholeheartedly, for the record). Paul Tyson is very good. When I saw him this summer, I thought he needed to get bigger in the lower body. He has looked much better this season than he did last season and even over the summer in 7 on 7. At best, he's AJ McCarron. At worst, he's Jay Barker. Pretty darn good either way. But side by side, Taulia is better in all aspects except size.

And even more than that, don't overlook Mac Jones. Nick is notorious for going with guys that the trusts over more talented guys (for example, nobody that knows anything about football can give me one football related reason why Hootie Jones should have been on the field over Deionte Thompson at any point last season). By that time, it will be Jones's 4th year at Alabama and he will have had 2.5 years of QB coaching from Dan Enos.

Either way, the bottom line is this, there is a reason why Coach Saban hired so many young coaches this past overhaul. Barring health issues, he has no intentions of going anywhere any time soon. And he wanted a hungry, energetic staff that was committed to proving that he is still (and will be) king of college football until he decides to leave. (Did you notice how irritated he sounded at SEC Media days when discussing coaches negative recruiting him about his age? There is a certain someone, who shall remain unnamed that got in his craw and is feuling all of this....)

Please, enjoy what we have right now. All this belly aching over giving up 31 to a team that we still beat by 34, just stop it. We are in the midst of something that will likely never be duplicated.

I can't Thank or Roll Tide this post enough.

BTW, I think Tua would be a top 10 pick right now. After next season, he will be the #1 overall pick. I don't know about the future, but I love the way you put it. A motivated Coach Saban? Well that is BAD for everyone else. (I realize that's his default setting; I'm just saying).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Maybe this should be on the recruiting board, but Tua's getting us a lot of profile in the Pacific Rim. Maybe there's another Jesse Williams out there looking at Bama now?
Can Peter Kim find us a kicker out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Skip Bayless had it as a talking point today. Thats why I posted Tua needs to play a complete game, so his numbers aren't similar to Kyler...

For the record, I think Skip's wrong most of the time...
Isn’t Skip Bayless from Oklahoma? And he’s a Vandy grad so he’s going to over analyze everything.

He’s full of himself and full of bologna.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
My b-in-l often plays the devil's advocate. After hearing what I had to say, he reminded me we have another young qb we are also looking at...Paul Bryant's grandson. I believe ( and this a very uninformed guess) this grandson might even be eligible for a legacy scholly that wouldn't count against the team scholly limit, but that's a completely different topic.
I don't know if the Bryant Scholarship will apply to grandchildren of players, coaches, etc or not. Someone with more knowledge of what will happen with the Bryant Scholarship funds once there are no more kids eligible under the original terms. I'm sure there still a few kids around from players in that era that are still eligible but there can't be many. I'm friends with a guy who started for Coach Bryant in his last game against Illinois and his youngest child is now 13 (I think). He and his wife had this child later in life than typical (early 40's) so I have to believe she is one of the last remaining eligible kids.

Also, as I understand it if a player is on a non-football scholarship and they play in their first 2 seasons then they do count against the 85 total.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Tua swears Taulia is better than big bother.
I think the only fair way to compare the two brothers is to look at how Tua was playing when he was the age Tulia is now. As we all know, players often improve their play with age and experience.

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
I think next year is both Jalen and Tua's last year. (Yes, I think Jalen comes back next year.) And, they both get drafted.

I've heard Saban say that "not being part of a team" scares him to death. That leads me to believe he will be around as long as his health will allow it. Number of championships have nothing to do with it. I hope I'm right.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If the season plays out as expected, I would expect Locksley and Enos both to become highly sought after, valuable commodities. I would like to lock both of them down but the likelihood is we will have to replace both of them.
I’d look for Saban to keep Enos....... open that check book, and Locksley will possibly get a head coaching job

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.