cutting the cord / streaming tv thread

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I stand by YouTube TV. During my trial period, it greatly outperformed Sling and Hulu -- note that PS Vue and DirectTV Now don't have apps for the Xbox, so these were non-starters.

If you're considering one of these services, I'd recommend starting a few 7-day trials and deciding based on your experience.
I use Sling and have been very pleased with the product. What do you prefer on YouTubeTV?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I use Sling and have been very pleased with the product. What do you prefer on YouTubeTV?
It's primarily about the performance at my location. Sling had buffering issues during primetime. Hulu was worse, and their interface was unintuitive (I believe it's being redone, however). Youtube never had buffering issues. I do prefer Youtube's DVR feature, but that wasn't the dealmaker for me.

But that's just at my location, and I wouldn't extrapolate this to be the case everywhere. Anyone interested in streaming services should do the free trials and see how performance compares on their ISP.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's primarily about the performance at my location. Sling had buffering issues during primetime. Hulu was worse, and their interface was unintuitive (I believe it's being redone, however). Youtube never had buffering issues. I do prefer Youtube's DVR feature, but that wasn't the dealmaker for me.

But that's just at my location, and I wouldn't extrapolate this to be the case everywhere. Anyone interested in streaming services should do the free trials and see how performance compares on their ISP.
i generally had a fairly decent go of it with hulu live. at least here, we were still using the beta version and the interface was really clunky, but i eventually figured it out. the biggest problem i had was that sometimes it didn't automatically take me to the live stream of the game and either put me at the beginning of the broadcast or at the point where i switched the channel. so going back and forth didn't really work well and on the times when the game would have to start on espn u because of previous games running long it could take a while to find the feed. i hope they get that worked out.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So we decided to cut the cord and I wanted to bring this thread back up to ask a question. I think we have decided with Hulu Live as I already had a Hulu subscription for regular streaming. So, it was a no brainer to try it out with them first...this will save us over $100 a month (we had a bunch of HD/DVR boxes and movie channels..etc)

Local channels I get with Hulu are FOX and NBC. I get the ABC primetime shows on demand which is fine.

My question is for the first Alabama game on ABC...is that usually available in the WatchESPN app? And the CBS games, we can just get the CBS subscription for the small fee during CFB months?

I tried a digital antenna and that couldn't pick up anything on multiple tvs. I could only get the CW and some other channels I didn't want.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So we decided to cut the cord and I wanted to bring this thread back up to ask a question. I think we have decided with Hulu Live as I already had a Hulu subscription for regular streaming. So, it was a no brainer to try it out with them first...this will save us over $100 a month (we had a bunch of HD/DVR boxes and movie channels..etc)

Local channels I get with Hulu are FOX and NBC. I get the ABC primetime shows on demand which is fine.

My question is for the first Alabama game on ABC...is that usually available in the WatchESPN app? And the CBS games, we can just get the CBS subscription for the small fee during CFB months?

I tried a digital antenna and that couldn't pick up anything on multiple tvs. I could only get the CW and some other channels I didn't want.
You must be way out in the boondocks if you couldn't get ABC with a digital antenna. Are you sure you had a good one and it was set up properly?

Did you go through the website?: https://www.antennaweb.org/

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
You must be way out in the boondocks if you couldn't get ABC with a digital antenna. Are you sure you had a good one and it was set up properly?

Did you go through the website?: https://www.antennaweb.org/
I just put my zip in and it says only 4 channels. That is basically what I got. LOL That is sad..I am just in south Shelby county. Maybe that is why the cell towers suck out here too.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I just put my zip in and it says only 4 channels. That is basically what I got. LOL That is sad..I am just in south Shelby county. Maybe that is why the cell towers suck out here too.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. :( I'm sure you have other options.

Here's mine (doesn't hurt to be about 30 miles from Orlando):

New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Up to 57 channels from 19 over-the-air stations may be received at this location.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hmm I did some more research tonight and found that YouTubetv has the local channels and all the sports channels that I need. I am thinking of getting that and trying that first instead of the Hulu Live. It is actually cheaper at $40 a month. (Hulu was $58 total with the options I chose) I did a free trial and the local channels are crystal clear with youtubetv.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Hmm I did some more research tonight and found that YouTubetv has the local channels and all the sports channels that I need. I am thinking of getting that and trying that first instead of the Hulu Live. It is actually cheaper at $40 a month. (Hulu was $58 total with the options I chose) I did a free trial and the local channels are crystal clear with youtubetv.
I use YouTubeTV and I’ve found that it is the best service for both programming and stability of the stream for me. They also tend to have the big 4 local channels. I previously used PlayStation Vue, but they got too expensive, started losing channels, and experienced growing pains which I experienced as a lot of buffering and errors. That’s a shame because I liked it best for about a year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I use YouTubeTV and I’ve found that it is the best service for both programming and stability of the stream for me. They also tend to have the big 4 local channels. I previously used PlayStation Vue, but they got too expensive, started losing channels, and experienced growing pains which I experienced as a lot of buffering and errors. That’s a shame because I liked it best for about a year.
So you have no problems with buffering or quality of picture on live sporting events with youtubetv? I'm very interested in reading people's experiences because I'm so wanting to cut my DirectTV "chord".

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
So you have no problems with buffering or quality of picture on live sporting events with youtubetv? I'm very interested in reading people's experiences because I'm so wanting to cut my DirectTV "chord".
I have been on YouTubeTV for six months with a standard WOW cable internet modem that is wired directly to my ROKU box. My picture quality does decline on weekends when cable usage increases. I have lost feed on live programming a couple of times and have been forced to restart the channel. The feature I like the most is the online VCR which allows me to place programs in my library and play back which allows me to skip through commercials. I tend to believe that YouTubeTV is the current best option for cutting the cord.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I have been on YouTubeTV for six months with a standard WOW cable internet modem that is wired directly to my ROKU box. My picture quality does decline on weekends when cable usage increases. I have lost feed on live programming a couple of times and have been forced to restart the channel. The feature I like the most is the online VCR which allows me to place programs in my library and play back which allows me to skip through commercials. I tend to believe that YouTubeTV is the current best option for cutting the cord.
Wonder if YouTubeTV is available on Amazon Fire? I know Amazon dropped the YouTube app last year.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Wonder if YouTubeTV is available on Amazon Fire? I know Amazon dropped the YouTube app last year.
My quick scan says probably not! Looks like Amazon Fire is allied with DirectTV.

From YouTube TV:

Our TV app is available on:

• Android TV
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
  • Samsung & LG smart TVs (2016 models and newer)
  • Apple TV (4th generation) and Apple TV 4K
  • Roku: All Roku TVs, Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick (3800x, 3600x), Roku Express/Express+ (3910x, 3900x, 3710x, 3700x), Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x, 4230x), and Roku 2 (4210x).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Thank you for sharing your experience. This seems to be the common complaints I hear from people who use internet tv, regardless of the provider. For me, until this gets to be a less frequent complaint. I will stick with paying higher prices for programming.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have DirectTV and thought about doing the same but every year when they increase my bill to $120 and I call to cancel they give me a $60 credit for 12 months which brings my bill down to $60. Just not much money to be saved from $60 which includes 3 TVs hooked up, HD DVR, streaming capability etc. Only hassle is having to call once a year to get them to lower the bill. If they don't lower it one day I'll probably switch to streaming but it's going on 7 years and they've always provided these credits when I call to cancel. I really don't have any complaints with DirectTV other than having to call once a year when the credits fall off..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.