Bama vs UGA for SEC Championship

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Yea we have had some issues, and some points in the games where we seemed a little flat, but lack of hunger, fire and intensity really?
It seems like the self flagellation and rending of garments is reaching a fever pitch around here. I guess is time to start selling the script A hair shirts again ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It comes down to our offense, IMO. Just like the previous two games did.

If we don't turn the ball over or fail to convert third downs, we will win.

No, our defense isn't as good as we thought but it is plenty good enough if our offense comes through.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It comes down to our offense, IMO. Just like the previous two games did.

If we don't turn the ball over or fail to convert third downs, we will win.

No, our defense isn't as good as we thought but it is plenty good enough if our offense comes through.
Exactly right - even with your other struggles, just remove the turnovers and you win both (LSU handily).

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Exactly right - even with your other struggles, just remove the turnovers and you win both (LSU handily).
Turnovers will most definitely get you beat in a close game. 2 of the turnovers, the int's, were more from poor play execution than anything that the defense did. The int at the end of the game hurt no worse than if the pass were to have been dropped or had it been uncatchable. Being 4th down either scenario turns the ball over. 3 and outs are turnovers when you get down to it. :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Turnovers will most definitely get you beat in a close game. 2 of the turnovers, the int's, were more from poor play execution than anything that the defense did. The int at the end of the game hurt no worse than if the pass were to have been dropped or had it been uncatchable. Being 4th down either scenario turns the ball over. 3 and outs are turnovers when you get down to it. :)
I don't count the last turnover, but the other two were daggers.

The first was horrid. That is a completion and Alabama has a first down. In the least A&M is penned deep, but instead
A&M gets it on their 40 and keeps the defense reeling, as they score their second TD.

On the second turnover, TJ is in field goal range already. It's likely to be 23-20, assuming the drive stalls there. Instead, it opens the floodgates again and A&M scores another TD.

Honestly, if not for those turnovers Alabama might have won by double digits. A&M got half their points off those turnovers, and that's not taking into account what it did to Alabama's momentum and their chances to score.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Yea we have had some issues, and some points in the games where we seemed a little flat, but lack of hunger, fire and intensity really?
Yes, really. The entire team might as well have sat in the locker room for the first quarter against A&M. The offense has given up five turnovers in 2 weeks, while the defense has created zero. Alabama has converted 8 of 24 third downs in the last 2 weeks, while allowing opponents to convert 21 of 38. All of that speaks to sloppy football, lack of focus, lack of hunger, fire, and intensity.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Love me some polls ;). Jawjuh will tell you themselves how tough they are (although I have heard a lot more rumbling than usual form the puppy faithful this year about richt and their soft play)

They also played a laughable schedule. Consensus prior to the season was that they'd pull run the table til the sec championship game. They are talented for sure, but play soft and un disciplined. But their ausome win this past weekend shows they are peaking at the right time ;)
and just two weeks ago we could beat NFL teams...dont underestimate Georgia, they can bite us if we dont straighten out a few things on defense..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I really think the biggest issues are personnel based than mentally based. You can make a lot in college by being intense and focused but you avoid these sort of games truly by being sound across the board. Saban has said before you can't get a team's best performance more than a few times a year, so he tries to make up for that by getting his teams executing almost off muscle memory. So even if they aren't at the intensity level he'd like, they are still confident in what they are seeing and what they need to do to stop it.

This is where the youth is showing up on offense and defense. Yeldon has lost the ball twice - though one was a bad handoff perhaps - in consecutive weeks; first time starters are getting lost a bit in their assignments. Intensity growing from the end of the first onward helped get Alabama back into the game but they weren't executing with consistency to seal the deal. Granted intensity and focus might have staved off that first quarter onslaught but truly it was exploitation of weaknesses that got us in that hole.

The thing is, though I might be a little frank with our deficiencies, all teams have areas they're trying to mask...even the undefeated teams. There have been very few undefeated teams that were truly untouchable by anyone in football. Usually they missed out on some team that matched up well, they got a few bounces, or other parts of their squad overwhelmed any other deficiency. Unless you're 2001 Miami or 1995 Nebraska, every national champion had some things that could have damned them but it simply never materialized or they got a little fortunate. Alabama has the tools to overcome their deficiencies and win the state, division, and conference. I think it starts with us reasserting "Alabama football" on the offensive side of the ball. We need to limit opponent's possession through the run game. We need to get back to mentality that sometimes we have to run when they look like they're playing the run to make a statement instead of simply checking into a pass play. The defense needs the front seven to assert themselves on the game and help their teammates in the secondary. They've put those guys into tough situations the last few weeks by poor tackling and ineffective pressure.

We're not going to get better by hoping a deficiency this late in the season repairs itself. We're going to win by doing what we are suppose to be great at doing and maybe even a little better.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I think yall will have to bring youre A game in order to beat us. I KNOW we are going to have to have our best effort of the season to win against alabama. If we can establish the run,hold our own in the trenches(up front)take care of the ball and keep the penalties to a minimum we should be in good shape. That being said i dont think alabama will make the kind of mistakes against us they made against texas a and m. I strongly believe that if alabamas special teams doesnt commit that penalty at the end of the game against a and m saturday bamas still undefeated today. Honestly i think whoever wins the battle up front,establishes the run and does the better job taking care of the ball wins. We have two sensational,explosive running backs(todd gurley,keith marshall)and so do yall(eddie lacy,tj yeldon). I definitely dont think this game is a blowout either way.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm with you. It seems close wins and losses now mean we are going through the motions and not hungry. I saw a lot of folks flying around and giving great effort. Sometimes it does not result in a win. I am as disappointed as anyone but to say this is ridiculous. We are very spoiled as a fan base and some peoples comments make it even worse.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Love me some polls ;). Jawjuh will tell you themselves how tough they are (although I have heard a lot more rumbling than usual form the puppy faithful this year about richt and their soft play)

They also played a laughable schedule. Consensus prior to the season was that they'd pull run the table til the sec championship game. They are talented for sure, but play soft and un disciplined. But their ausome win this past weekend shows they are peaking at the right time ;)
I would say we are very physical on defense. Jeff driskell and will muschamp would probably agree:biggrin:. As far as the schedule goes,we play the games that are put before us. So far this season i would say weve done a pretty good job. I agree,at times we do play disciplined and sometimes we dont. We arent as consistent as alabama and thats for sure. However when we stay focused and stick to our assignments we can play with anybody. We are one of the most talented teams in the nation. I certainly hope we come to play when we get to the dome if not we are going to get destroyed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think people overexagerate UGA. Murray is great if you give him the oppurtunity but look at Florida game. If Florida didnt just self destruct then thye are the team in the East and would win by 14. Rict coaches plain horrible against Saban if he gets behind so unless UGA can get a good lead, which I dont see, then we will win

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
After the last two weeks I certainly have concerns about Georgia, but I also have questions, too - they allowed themselves to get into a shootout with an awful UT team; needed multiple turnovers and mental mistakes to beat Florida and um....what other significant team have they beaten?

They're a very good team, but they have just as many question marks as we do.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I would say we are very physical on defense. Jeff driskell and will muschamp would probably agree:biggrin:. As far as the schedule goes,we play the games that are put before us. So far this season i would say weve done a pretty good job. I agree,at times we do play disciplined and sometimes we dont. We arent as consistent as alabama and thats for sure. However when we stay focused and stick to our assignments we can play with anybody. We are one of the most talented teams in the nation. I certainly hope we come to play when we get to the dome if not we are going to get destroyed.
I have to ask muschamp and Driskell what they thought of ULL first ;).
Having lived in GA for 20 years, I am very biased against the puppies (i hate me some uga). Y'all have been one of the most talented teams in the nation year in and year out since richt got there. I wish GA tech had at least an outside chance of giving y'all a game this year, but that is pretty much out of the question.

Ps - please don't take this personally, it's not meant that way :), its nice to have rival fans on our board.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I certainly hope Bama can win the SEC. With so many highly ranked SEC teams, the loser of this game could fall way down the bowl ladder....maybe even to the Chick-Fil-A

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If Georgia runs the ball against us, with that offensive line, we are in trouble. If we can't pressure Murray, with that offensive line, we will have shown ourselves to be figments of our imagination.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.