Defensive Personnel Question (Specifically Dime)

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
In listening to a lot of sports talk this week I've heard it mentioned multiple times that both Bama and LSU will likely spend a good amount of time in Dime to counter the number of WRs that both teams tend to deploy on offense. For those of you that have a better eye for this sort of thing than me, can you tell me who is on the field in our Dime package?

As an aside, while most reference T. Lewis as the likely difference maker this week (rightfully so) it would be great to see someone like #99 step up and have a big day. I've said this all year that while our defense has shown some holes at times this year, our defense also has the potential for the most growth of any unit for any team that is in the playoff hunt and I think we've seen that play out as the defense seemed to get better each week. That said, this will be the week that proves me right or wrong. Gonna be a good one....I hope the extra week of prep and reps for the young guys allows us to show some things we haven't shown yet this year...we shall see!!! Roll Tide!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In listening to a lot of sports talk this week I've heard it mentioned multiple times that both Bama and LSU will likely spend a good amount of time in Dime to counter the number of WRs that both teams tend to deploy on offense. For those of you that have a better eye for this sort of thing than me, can you tell me who is on the field in our Dime package?

As an aside, while most reference T. Lewis as the likely difference maker this week (rightfully so) it would be great to see someone like #99 step up and have a big day. I've said this all year that while our defense has shown some holes at times this year, our defense also has the potential for the most growth of any unit for any team that is in the playoff hunt and I think we've seen that play out as the defense seemed to get better each week. That said, this will be the week that proves me right or wrong. Gonna be a good one....I hope the extra week of prep and reps for the young guys allows us to show some things we haven't shown yet this year...we shall see!!! Roll Tide!
I think Davis has peaked -- (personal opinion only) -- as he disappears for way too many plays. His strength is going to be stopping the run

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Davis has peaked -- (personal opinion only) -- as he disappears for way too many plays. His strength is going to be stopping the run
I think that he is a tweener - not fast-twitch enough to be a DE, not thick enough to be a DT. I believe that he is playing harder this year than last, but he just hasn't been the type of player that he looked like he might become a few years ago.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban last night:

— Saban on redshirt freshman defensive lineman Christian Barmore: “He is a talented guy. There’s no question about that. And he is a very good inside pass rusher, which is something that we really needed on our team this year. I think the big challenge for Christian was to get confidence in knowing what to do. ... He would make a lot of mental errors that were hard to deal with. And as the season has progressed and for the last three or four games, we’ve been playing him more and more and all the time in dime when we go to dime rabbits and he’s been very productive. But he’s also a lot more confident in knowing what to do.”
I think Lewis and DL will be the difference. Do the job and It makes it easier for LBs to do their job.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I think that he is a tweener - not fast-twitch enough to be a DE, not thick enough to be a DT. I believe that he is playing harder this year than last, but he just hasn't been the type of player that he looked like he might become a few years ago.
You may be right. It's not that he's played bad...he just hasn't really stood out either. Might be a result of the expectations on him after how he played during the post-season run against Clemson and UGA a couple years ago.

And while I mentioned Davis specifically in my original post, he was just the first person that came to mind. Barmore or one of the freshmen on the DL having a big day would be mighty fine by me all the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but the difference maker in dime defense is the DT. If the DT is dominant enough in dime to stuff the run (think Payne), then the ILB can get more involved in short route coverages in the middle of the field. You also need your safety to be able to come up and cover their slot guy or #2 receiver depending on how they line up. Take away the middle of the field and force Burrow to hit passes to the outside and deep, because they take longer to develop and are lower percentage completions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I hope Shane Lee is not the linebacker in Dime for this game. He will get abused in coverage and trying to chase plays sideline to sideline. Not sure who that will be. Probably Harris or Benton..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

To hit that question, we actually have at least two dime packages with the difference being in the front 5.

One package typically has two true DL, with two OLB's lined up as DEs - the OLbs might be standup or with a hand in the dirt, then we have one ILB.

another package only has one true DL, with the two OLBs as mentioned above and an ILB. The added position this year has been another OLB, standing up on the line, but typically in one of the guard gaps to rush (we have used an ILB here in the past also).

The two DL being used has varied a lot this year. RD has been in a lot. Barmore has been active, as well as the two TF in spots.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I hope Shane Lee is not the linebacker in Dime for this game. He will get abused in coverage and trying to chase plays sideline to sideline. Not sure who that will be. Probably Harris or Benton..
I'm worried about Lee and Carter in this game. I'm really worried Carter is going to be eaten alive.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm worried about Lee and Carter in this game. I'm really worried Carter is going to be eaten alive.
Carter’s coverage skills are a question mark. He knows the D inside and out, so his communication skills are hard to replace in this young lineup. I trust in Saban to know what the right balance is.

Regarding Lee, I’m not so worried. Yes, he’ll give up some plays. But Harris played corner in high school. True freshman or not, I’d have to think 5* CB skills in high school would translate well to ILB, even if it is SECW competition.

IOW, looking at relative weakness (in economic terms, comparative dis-advantage), Lee is worse at pass coverage than Harris is as a run thumper.

I’d expect Lee to be on the sideline when we’re playing dime, which may be a lot.

Lord protect Christian Harris.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.