Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

No it's not. A "benefit" has to have some benefit, which these useless products haven't. That's the prime reason, IMO, that the NCAA did their investigation and then dropped the matter. The sole concern I have is that our guys may have promised some future endorsement which can be proven by this creep, and did not tell the truth to the NCAA investigators...
Did we ever have players interviewed for this or did the NCAA just do its own investigation? The NCAA didn't investigate this crap back whenever just because of us, did they? If not why would we think we had guys lie to the NZAAs? It'd just be a matter going forward if the NCAA came knocking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: layers used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

I said orally not topically. Testosterone is administered by patch or gel on the skin. Medically it is not given orally; it is not absorbed reliably if at all. If this idiot sprayed some deer antlers in his mouth then bad luck would have it that he tested positive. Maybe he had the stuff on his hands when he peed or whatever. Nevertheless he tested positive and wasn't getting any benefit from the junk.

Actually, any substance which can be absorbed topically can be absorbed through mucous membrane, usually with greater alacrity, which is the whole philosophy in snorting cocaine and certain other drugs. The barrier is thinner and more porous, but not porous enough to allow large peptide molecules. I have no doubt the successful plaintiff proved he absorbed through his oral mucous. He would have to do that to win...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Did we ever have players interviewed for this or did the NCAA just do its own investigation? The NCAA didn't investigate this crap back whenever just because of us, did they? If not why would we think we had guys lie to the NZAAs? It'd just be a matter going forward if the NCAA came knocking.

We investigated and then self-reported, leading to an NCAA investigation. We have no idea if our guys actually promised to endorse the product in the future (Ross claims they did) or what they told either our people or the NCAA. What I said way above was that my sole concern was that, as Ross says, they did make the promise and he has some recording, which he has a history of doing with a pen camera, and that they denied it, largely out of embarrassment. As I said above, I don't know how the NCAA would take it, should that turn out to be true. It's quite possible they admitted making a promise for a useless product and the NCAA just shrugged shoulders over it...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Re: players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

We investigated and then self-reported, leading to an NCAA investigation. We have no idea if our guys actually promised to endorse the product in the future (Ross claims they did) or what they told either our people or the NCAA. What I said way above was that my sole concern was that, as Ross says, they did make the promise and he has some recording, which he has a history of doing with a pen camera, and that they denied it, largely out of embarrassment. As I said above, I don't know how the NCAA would take it, should that turn out to be true. It's quite possible they admitted making a promise for a useless product and the NCAA just shrugged shoulders over it...
I agree

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Didn't read much of the thread, but the guy promoting this product is both a scum bag and brilliant at the same time. He will sell more product as a result of this story than he has sold to date.

He only mentions very successful players and programs that "use" his product for a reason.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

This is good stuff!

Bubba Watson on Deer Antlers

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8899764&startTime=00:08[/video]

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: SI article iml players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Testerone can be absorbed by mucous membrane as you say, just not orally by pill, but that is not the preferred medical administration. The real point to whether this guy tested positive is that these crooks must've spiked his deer antlers spray with it. If so he deserves every penny he can get from those scumbags, and then who can believe what's in their spray or whatever. We can just be thankful none of our guys apparently tested positive if they did use any of this crap.

Did the NCAA not do any investigating of this junk besides just us when there were reports of its use at other places (I can see the boogs not self-reporting the chips or whatever)? Before this week why is there talk of investigating this stuff only in regard to us? Are we the only program that has approached the NCAA about this in the past?

I stand guilty as I am sure I will be charged, but this thread seems to be taking on sort of a bunker mentality, no? I'm not really worried about any of this scuttlebutt related to us. SI saw a chance to make a story about the biggest personality in the Super Bowl, Ray Lewis, and his amazing recovery from his injury, his last game, his sordid past, etc. Actually I'm sort of happy to see the media examine the chinks in his armour. I just wish our name hadn't been dragged into it. Just look at the asinine media coverage this week. It's a shame that the more 'reputable' media like SI couldn't come up with better stories in general or in taking on Ray Lewis in particular than just some story about these worthless snake oil peddlers. Super Bowl week will end Sunday night and the talk will all be about the annointed MVP (criminal) Ray Lewis and the commercials. And next week the talk will be about our #1 recruiting class. So be it.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: SI article l players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

This is good stuff!

Bubba Watson on Deer Antlers

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8899764&startTime=00:08[/video]
'Waste Management' Phoenix Open. Now that's appropriate for deer antlers spray. LOL

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: SI article implies thall players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Didn't read much of the thread, but the guy promoting this product is both a scum bag and brilliant at the same time. He will sell more product as a result of this story than he has sold to date.

He only mentions very successful players and programs that "use" his product for a reason.
You think he dished the story to SI? I'll call him brilliant scum then but scum nonetheless.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Testerone can be absorbed by mucous membrane as you say, just not orally by pill, but that is not the preferred medical administration. The real point to whether this guy tested positive is that these crooks must've spiked his deer antlers spray with it. If so he deserves every penny he can get from those scumbags, and then who can believe what's in their spray or whatever. We can just be thankful none of our guys apparently tested positive if they did use any of this crap.......
.........Super Bowl week will end Sunday night and the talk will all be about the annointed MVP (criminal) Ray Lewis and the commercials. And next week the talk will be about our #1 recruiting class. So be it.
IMO this is the primary reason for publicizing this trash in the first place. With NSD just around the corner, it can possibly help those who want to dissuade some potential recruits from signing with UA.
For some it seems, that's enough.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: SI article l players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

IMO this is the primary reason for publicizing this trash in the first place. With NSD just around the corner, it can possibly help those who want to dissuade some potential recruits from signing with UA.
For some it seems, that's enough.
Even if not the primary original intent of SI, it certainly has become the intent of other idiot talking heads and negative recruiters, I'm sure.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Testerone can be absorbed by mucous membrane as you say, just not orally by pill, but that is not the preferred medical administration. The real point to whether this guy tested positive is that these crooks must've spiked his deer antlers spray with it. If so he deserves every penny he can get from those scumbags, and then who can believe what's in their spray or whatever. We can just be thankful none of our guys apparently tested positive if they did use any of this crap.

Did the NCAA not do any investigating of this junk besides just us when there were reports of its use at other places (I can see the boogs not self-reporting the chips or whatever)? Before this week why is there talk of investigating this stuff only in regard to us? Are we the only program that has approached the NCAA about this in the past?

I stand guilty as I am sure I will be charged, but this thread seems to be taking on sort of a bunker mentality, no? I'm not really worried about any of this scuttlebutt related to us. SI saw a chance to make a story about the biggest personality in the Super Bowl, Ray Lewis, and his amazing recovery from his injury, his last game, his sordid past, etc. Actually I'm sort of happy to see the media examine the chinks in his armour. I just wish our name hadn't been dragged into it. Just look at the asinine media coverage this week. It's a shame that the more 'reputable' media like SI couldn't come up with better stories in general or in taking on Ray Lewis in particular than just some story about these worthless snake oil peddlers. Super Bowl week will end Sunday night and the talk will all be about the annointed MVP (criminal) Ray Lewis and the commercials. And next week the talk will be about our #1 recruiting class. So be it.

It can be taken by pill, but it's just an inefficient way of administering it, since you have to overcome the digestive process. It's not usually taken sub-lingually, like this "spray," because there's no urgency in getting it into the bloodstream quickly. That method is usually used for things like nitroglycerin, where there's reason for speed. I don't know why these bozos chose that method. They admit that their stuff comes out of Houston and they don't know what's in it, really. As I've said above, I only have one worry and it's not really a big one. I do hate the PR hit...

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I wish the State Attorney General would take a close look at Swats' operation and see if they have broken any state laws relating to fraud and false advertising.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

This is part of a trend in the post-season, especially in recent years.

In Jan 2010 we were constantly accused of having lucked into the Texas win because of the injury to Colt.
In 2011 Harvey Updyke allegedly poisoned a couple of old trees at the dirtiest village.
In 2012 we had the incident in the New Orleans' Kystal.
In 2013 we have SWATS.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I wish the State Attorney General would take a close look at Swats' operation and see if they have broken any state laws relating to fraud and false advertising.
They are too busy raiding bingo halls...But I TOTALLY agree with you!!

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

Well, all I know is that it gave Auburn fans something to keep their hopes up about. So long as they can convince themselves that we're all roided up, cash dealing ubermench boosters and players, and their laptop-stealing, highest-bidder QB is pure as the driven snow... ;p

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Don't forget, the Barn 2010 season is riddled with these same accusations--we're just not hearing about that because they are completely irrelevant.

What irritates me is everytime these snake oil salesmen are interviewed they tell a different version of their stories. They have ZERO credibility. IMO, like stated in an above post, they should be criminally investigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.