President Trump's Team

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Attorney General:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-attorney-general.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump has selected Senator Jeff Sessions, a conservative from Alabama who became a close adviser after endorsing him early in his campaign, to be the attorney general of the United States, according to officials close to the transition.

Mr. Sessions was also under consideration for secretary of defense, creating debate within the Trump transition team over which job he should fill.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
National Security Advisor:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trumps-pick-for-national-security-adviser-brings-experience-and-controversy/2016/11/17/0962eb88-ad08-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html

The most influential national security job in the still-forming Trump administration will likely go to a retired three-star general who helped dismantle insurgent networks in Afghanistan and Iraq but then surprised — and sometimes dismayed — colleagues by joining the political insurgency led by Donald Trump.

As national security adviser to Trump, retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn would be responsible for helping a president with no national security experience navigate complicated global issues including the unfinished campaign against the Islamic State, the expansionist agenda of China and rising aggression from Russia. Flynn’s selection for the post was confirmed Thursday night by a person close to the Trump transition team who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
CIA Director:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-names-kansas-rep-mike-pompeo-pick/story?id=43632371

Rep. Mike Pompeo, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, has been offered the position of CIA director, according to senior Trump transition officials.

The three-term Republican congressman from Wichita, Kansas, is a member of the House Energy Committee and the Intelligence Committee, which is responsible with conducting oversight of U.S. intelligence agencies and practices.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
A great choice IMO but look for dems to go all in on blockading this one during confirmation hearings. They absolutely loathe Senator Sessions, almost as much as they do John Bolton.
Unless I'm mistaken, this appointment doesn't require Senate approval. Also, I don't remember Jeff Sessions being remarkably well-respected back when I lived in AL. So Dems may not be the only group wary of him holding such a position of authority.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Unless I'm mistaken, this appointment doesn't require Senate approval. Also, I don't remember Jeff Sessions being remarkably well-respected back when I lived in AL. So Dems may not be the only group wary of him holding such a position of authority.
AG is a cabinet-level, statutory position and requires confirmation by the Senate.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
AG is a cabinet-level, statutory position and requires confirmation by the Senate.
Thanks for the correction. He couldn't make it through his last Senate confirmation, so I guess we'll see if 2016 is more forgiving of his racist past than the 1980s.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A great choice IMO but look for dems to go all in on blockading this one during confirmation hearings. They absolutely loathe Senator Sessions, almost as much as they do John Bolton.
The republicans control the senate and sessions has been a senior member for quiet some time. So it should pass with flying colors as long as Cruz and his group don't feel too slighted for sessions endorsement snub.

Plus the dems should probably consider this a mercy nomination since Giuliani is still out there.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thanks for the correction. He couldn't make it through his last Senate confirmation, so I guess we'll see if 2016 is more forgiving of his racist past than the 1980s.
Do these accusations of racism have anything to do with something other than his stance on Illegal Immigration? Honest question as I do not know, and I also do not consider his stance on illegal immigration to be racist, but I know the left does and that's ok, I don't want to get into a debate about that. I just wanted to know if it was because of something else. I know nothing about Jeff Sessions in the 80s.

Nevermind, Charmin. I looked it up.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.