NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (Freeze has resigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

If you want to save the brand, you fire everyone involved. If Tressel can get fired at OSU, anyone can get fired. He was the CEO of the entire athletic department, and had more power than our school president. But at some point you have to realize that there is no hiding from a thing, and that the future can begin tomorrow if you clean house today.

Freeze and the entire AD leadership need to go. Anything short leaves the NCAA on their door step for years to come, stalking them and hoping that they make the smallest mistake.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: NCAA to formally charge Ole Miss with rules violations (UPDATED NOA Reply - Page

They haven't won anything of note in over 50 years. So other than winning parties in The Grove, I didn't know there was a brand left to protect.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If you want to save the brand, you fire everyone involved. If Tressel can get fired at OSU, anyone can get fired. He was the CEO of the entire athletic department, and had more power than our school president. But at some point you have to realize that there is no hiding from a thing, and that the future can begin tomorrow if you clean house today.

Freeze and the entire AD leadership need to go. Anything short leaves the NCAA on their door step for years to come, stalking them and hoping that they make the smallest mistake.
I really do wonder what the realistic chances of this happening might be.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Before the COI has their say? Very unlikely. After the punishment is handed down? Within a year or two the house will probably cleaned.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Ole Miss acquaintances who are "in the know" as much as anyone have assured me all along, IF Hugh goes, Bjork goes, Vitter goes, and a couple more from the outside the Athletics Department also go. Their main goal is to save Freeze and if he can't be saved they all have to go.

This interview with Dan Wolken is over an hour but he touches on the dynamic of supporting Freeze to the detriment of the school and the athletic department--------

https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/oxford-exxon-podcast-dan-wolken-on-ole-miss-freeze-ncaa-and-more

Wolken is familiar with the NCAA side based on his relationships. He is having a difficult time understanding why Freeze is still there. he is convinced that the whole thing would have been done a year ago if Ole Miss had fired him then.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I've never had this much fun (or any fun) listening to Neal McCready before. It's so fun to listen to him grasp at straws to defend Ole Miss (wow, those nuts really compared LSU under Saban and Florida under Spurrier to Ole Miss under Freeze). It is also such an interesting contrast to how he spoke about Alabama.

Last edited:

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

I've never had this much fun (or any fun) listening to Neal McCready before. It's so fun to listen to him grasp at straws to defend Ole Miss. It is also such an interesting contrast to how he spoke about Alabama.
I will go and listen to that. He never had anything good to say about us.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Ole Miss acquaintances who are "in the know" as much as anyone have assured me all along, IF Hugh goes, Bjork goes, Vitter goes, and a couple more from the outside the Athletics Department also go. Their main goal is to save Freeze and if he can't be saved they all have to go.

This interview with Dan Wolken is over an hour but he touches on the dynamic of supporting Freeze to the detriment of the school and the athletic department--------

https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/oxford-exxon-podcast-dan-wolken-on-ole-miss-freeze-ncaa-and-more

Wolken is familiar with the NCAA side based on his relationships. He is having a difficult time understanding why Freeze is still there. he is convinced that the whole thing would have been done a year ago if Ole Miss had fired him then.
Maybe Freeze is like the Joker in "Dark Knight", got a vest of grenades with his thumb tied to the clips telling Ole Miss if they fire him he pulls the pin and they go up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

And that`s precisely why, in the back of my mind, I continue to harbor more than a little uncertainty as to just how this will all come out relative to penalties. What should occur and what will ......?
Exactly. We are lead to believe that the NCAA has rules and regulations that member institutions are to subscribe to and abide by. It is these institutions through dues that provide the NCAA with its funding. They exist with these monies. So the member institutions send money to the NCAA for their governance and what do these institutions get for their money? Rules and regulations they may or may not enforce. It appears to me that these institutions should expect even handed treatment from the NCAA in carrying out its enforcement. OTOH, the punishment should fit the crime.

If the NCAA is not going to enforce sanctions and punishment for something on the scale of what Ole Miss has purportedly done then all NCAA members should withdraw their financial support as soon as possible. Either enforce the rules or shut it down and the schools could save a lot of money.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

It just occurred to me that NCAA can "go easy" on Ole Miss ..... after all, they have drug around for a two years and really hurt their recruiting. So, they can appear to be sort of understanding at the end. That is not what I want but it could be the way it is.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It just occurred to me that NCAA can "go easy" on Ole Miss ..... after all, they have drug around for a two years and really hurt their recruiting. So, they can appear to be sort of understanding at the end. That is not what I want but it could be the way it is.
You gotta stop being so negative with this, Red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Auburn boosters put on a clinic when they hired chizik and then Gus,ole miss followed suit: hire someone who'll be just glad they're there. High School, Lambuth, and a year at AR st. Does not make you a head coach in the SEC. Next up: ole Gus.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I don't understand why their main goal is keeping Freeze. He's the reason they're in this mess...

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

COI has announced Louisville's penalties.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...r-acted-unethically-head-coach-failed-monitor

Let's recap, shall we? 1 assistant and 1 director of operations in 1 incident, with no mention of the head coach and no boosters involved.

Head coach - Failure to Monitor -5 game suspension from conference games (30%)
Assistant - 1 year show cause
Director of Operations - 10 year show cause
4 year probation
Scholarship reductions - 2 initial and 4 as the school decides over the probationary period.
Basketball total limit is 13 with no yearly limit. Reduction of 6 = 46%. 2 initial = 15% of total

Football is 85 with max 25/year. 46%= 39 15%= 13 :eek:

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't understand why their main goal is keeping Freeze. He's the reason they're in this mess...
Listening to McCready and his co-idiot, I think I got some insight into their state of mind. They honestly compared Ole Miss under Freeze to LSU under Saban and Florida under Spurrier. I am not making this up. They're in such a state of denial or delusion, that some aspect of this is convincing themselves that Freeze truly is one of the greats.

I think they know that they don't have any margin for error. In some ways this was like Auburn playing Cam. To us, it seemed kind of insane, but how often are they going to win a title? They seemed ok with risking it all. In this case, I think Ole Miss has come to accept that they're not Ohio State and Urban Meyer isn't waiting around the corner for them. If they admit wrongdoing to the extent that they lose Freeze and face the penalties that come with it, they probably realize that their relevance in the SEC is over for a while.

When you combine the two things, I think they feel like they've already lost if they have to give up Freeze.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

OBMS is miss st yelling and screaming like a wild man to the ncaa about the witnesses (their players) being sued. I would think they would be. Also where would the witnesses( players) get the funds to hire the lawyers to defend themselves?

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Oddly, I'm not hearing as much out of them as I am from Ole Miss people who are certain that this is not a direction that they want to head, even though the rumor mill says Warren asked the school about proceeding.
MSU people are not happy but I don't hear them crying. They are convinced that the suits have no merit and will be tossed. The future failure of a business and the reasons for that projected failure is kinda tough to prove.
Lawyers have been figuring out a way to work with broke college athletes for 100 years-----I don't think that is a worry here.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Listening to McCready and his co-idiot, I think I got some insight into their state of mind. They honestly compared Ole Miss under Freeze to LSU under Saban and Florida under Spurrier. I am not making this up. They're in such a state of denial or delusion, that some aspect of this is convincing themselves that Freeze truly is one of the greats.

I think they know that they don't have any margin for error. In some ways this was like Auburn playing Cam. To us, it seemed kind of insane, but how often are they going to win a title? They seemed ok with risking it all. In this case, I think Ole Miss has come to accept that they're not Ohio State and Urban Meyer isn't waiting around the corner for them. If they admit wrongdoing to the extent that they lose Freeze and face the penalties that come with it, they probably realize that their relevance in the SEC is over for a while.

When you combine the two things, I think they feel like they've already lost if they have to give up Freeze.
I would argue that they haven't been all that relevant, even during the Freeze era:
- He's been there 5 years.
- 39-25 overall (61%)
- 19-21 in the SEC (47.5%)
- only one year with fewer than four losses
- that year was 2015 with three, including yakking up any chance at anything meaningful with a loss to Memphis.
- You gotta be kidding me....Memphis ruined your plans for a flag? Really?
- Never fewer than two SEC losses, even in the years they beat Alabama
- Averaging over 4 SEC losses a year

That's relevance?

The fact is the only reason they're even thinking about maybe, possibly standing by Freeze is that he coached one team that beat Alabama straight up (Oxford, 2014), and scored more points than we did in 2015. Never mind that the second instance was because of 5 turnovers (two in our own red zone), a miracle play on the scale of the play of which we do not speak (TPOWWDNS) at the barn, and a terribly blown officiating call that allowed an illegal touchdown to stand.

For THAT, they're willing to play dice with the devil (NCAA) who, by the way, holds the biggest house advantage there is?

It's beyond stupid. It's actually kinda sad.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

IIRC Archie Manning either lead the search committee or was a prominent member of that committee that hired Freeze. I have always been a huge Archie Manning fan (not so either of his sons), but I wonder how Ole Miss wound up with someone like Freeze whose coaching credentials were very suspect to say the least, even for Ole Miss. It appears Ole Miss has a huge problem and would probably be well served to cut its losses at this point, take the sanctions and move on. But what the hell do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.