Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread Bama vs. TAMU...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Are we the only fan base that can take a 19 point win, on the road, vs a ranked opponent and act like we were lucky to get out alive?

Does anyone else act like this?

And PLEASE quit acting like LSU is going to beat us. Our O compared to UF are miles apart. Our D is as good as UF, and likely better

Coach is a “film” expert. He will have plenty of film and find a way to defend.
I am not saying LSU will beat us, but I disagree that our defense right now is better than Florida's, offensively we are light years ahead of Florida.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Offensively our line play was much improved. This game would not have been “19 points close” if not for stupid penalties (which I’ll get to in a moment).

Defensive push to pressure Mond was lacking at times but overall it was better. Blown assignments in the secondary has to be cleaned up. Maybin looks lost at times.

Place kicking? For Pete’s sake Will Reichard please get well soon. Punting?(just coughed up a hair ball).

The officiating in this game made it almost unwatchable. Roughing call on Jennings for the low hit? Maybe but I ask you, if you replace Tua for Mond, do they make that call? My guess is “no”. Call on Barmore? The guy was trying to get to the passing arm and deflect the pass. A joke of a call. The PI in the back of the end zone. Give me a break. Mond was throwing it away. It was a a mile over the receiver’s head. The left tackle for A&M held more than he actually blocked all day long. As far as the “no call” on Battle on the Waddle punt return, there was nothing there. Battle and the gunner had been engaged down the field. The A&M player turned his back to Battle. I could go on I won’t.

It was only our own mistakes coupled with those of the officials that kept this from being a complete snooze fest.
The refs were the most maddening part of this game to me. No call on the hit on Tua and so many ticky tac calls that were just idiotic.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Reading the Aggie boards, one remark keeps being reported over and over and that is the gap in speed between the two teams. Interestingly, although their poor kick coverage is mentioned, only a couple of posters I read realized that it's the same problem for them...
Speaking of this, I think TAMU ought to have named their punter the MVP, not for his punting, but for his tackling. Their kick coverage sucked, but I can think of at least two more TDs, except for him...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As I see it right now:

We will beat LSU.
LSU will beat Auburn.
Auburn will likely beat Georgia.
Our game against Auburn is the only game I’m concerned about.
AU at J-H has officially driven you mad :smile:. A program that from 2008-2018 has been 26-18 at J-H vs the SEC, and you are more afraid them than an LSU team that just boat-raced a D better than AU's? They were 21-24, 12+ ypa passing and 9+ ypa rushing. And you think AU with a pathetic O is a bigger threat? Can AU beat Alabama, certainly, anything can happen, but history says no with no exceptions to this point. AU has never beaten a great or near great Bama team without an elite or near-elite team themselves - and this AU team is not even near-elite. Some Bama fans think it's voodoo, but it's not, it's very good or great AU teams that sometimes win. It's like some Bama fans can't acknowledge that AU is a very good program with some great or near great teams. They were #4 in 13 and #6 and the hottest team in the country in 17 and barely beat a seriously injured and offensively dysfunctional team that pulled a rabbit out of their MSU hat 2 weeks prior.

OTOH, to think that a win vs LSU is a given, as you imply, is a fantasy. IMO, Bama will be favored and should win but LSU is scary good. That O is no joke - it's the fastest and most amazing transformation with essentially the same personnel (mainly QB) as I've ever seen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU is the best opponent in the SEC this year. They're better than Georgia...UGA lacks pop at WR, you contain Swift and they're beatable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
OTOH, to think that a win vs LSU is a given, as you imply, is a fantasy. IMO, Bama will be favored and should win but LSU is scary good. That O is no joke - it's the fastest and most amazing transformation with essentially the same personnel (mainly QB) as I've ever seen.
The talent has always been there, it was just badly misused. The proof is littered across the NFL. I know part of it is missing on QB recruits, but IMO it was mostly the conservative nature of Miles and Oregeron until this past off season.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The talent has always been there, it was just badly misused. The proof is littered across the NFL. I know part of it is missing on QB recruits, but IMO it was mostly the conservative nature of Miles and Oregeron until this past off season.
True - but even with that talent to transition this smoothly and successfully is still quite a feat. Though I disagreed, many were saying last year that Burrow simply was not an accurate QB. In fact, his completion % was barely above 50% until late in the season. But he looks like Brady, Tom Brady - his accuracy is impressive. All kinds of throws too.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So, I haven't been on here much lately... Just enjoying my newlywed life :)

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Things is what it is at this point. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]1. Total Yards
TAMU had 389 of total Yards.
Ole miss had 475 of total yards. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]2. 3rd down efficiency
TAMU had 5/12 resulting in 41 percent
Ole miss had 8/20 resulting 40 percent[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]3. TOP
TAMU had the ball for 29:04 minutes
Ole miss had ball for 30:23 minutes [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Are the defense improving ? I believe so. I think we will continue to get better as we play deep into the SEC schedule. I love how our edge rushers set the tone for the defense
and that was someting we badly need at this point. Putting pressure on OL creates more opportunites for Barmore and others. I loved how we generated turnovers on defense. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Granted, We had moments where the defense looked confused, but I'm okay with that. I just wish that play where Mayden got suckered into coming up the field leaving his man wide open
.. I wish we could take that back. Had he stayed with his man, It would've resulted in no gain on that play. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Carter finally figured out few things and I pray that he is more consistent going forward. If we can clean up the mental errors between now and Bye week, we should be very
dangerous team come December. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Side note: Our run defense has been solid for the most part. we had 2 or 3 glitches here and there, but they will learn from it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Overall, I'm happy with where the team are coming out of bye week. We still got lot of work to do as far as the offense and defense.. but I have a feeling that LSU will be the one struggling
that night... because we've kept lot of things simple with our playcalling on both sides... what's the odd of of them being caught off guard when we change things up on them? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The one thing that has to be addressed, it’s the defensive penalties. How many drives have been extended because of penalties? We probably would have 10% less points/yards/first downs against us , if not for defensive penalties.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
The one thing that has to be addressed, it’s the defensive penalties. How many drives have been extended because of penalties? We probably would have 10% less points/yards/first downs against us , if not for defensive penalties.
To be fair about the penalties, the refs GAVE aTm 30 yards on one of their later drives on a bogus pf penalty on Barmore and that craze PI call on a ball that was severely overthrown.
I also think crowd noise didn't help. More to learn from.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
AU at J-H has officially driven you mad :smile:. A program that from 2008-2018 has been 26-18 at J-H vs the SEC, and you are more afraid them than an LSU team that just boat-raced a D better than AU's? They were 21-24, 12+ ypa passing and 9+ ypa rushing. And you think AU with a pathetic O is a bigger threat? Can AU beat Alabama, certainly, anything can happen, but history says no with no exceptions to this point. AU has never beaten a great or near great Bama team without an elite or near-elite team themselves - and this AU team is not even near-elite. Some Bama fans think it's voodoo, but it's not, it's very good or great AU teams that sometimes win. It's like some Bama fans can't acknowledge that AU is a very good program with some great or near great teams. They were #4 in 13 and #6 and the hottest team in the country in 17 and barely beat a seriously injured and offensively dysfunctional team that pulled a rabbit out of their MSU hat 2 weeks prior.

If a fortune-teller told me that Bama would lose one game this year, of course LSU would come immediately to mind. I the same fortune teller said it would not be to LSU, of course Auburn would be the most likely loss.
Weird stuff happens at Jordan-Hare. Not saying it is cheating (the play-that-shall-not-be-mentioned was not illegal in any way), just weird.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Really looking forward to seeing more of the pass rush " triangle " of Barmore, Jennings and Lewis. IF everybody can stay healthy between now and LSU, It could well help us to put together some new packages that LSU will not have seen. Barmore is apparently already drawing double and triple teams.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm a litte concerned about LSU. But I still think we might match up well enough.

Just not sure we can win a championship with this defense.

Tua looked a little off this game idk why. He had a few games like this last year too.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Tua proved once again that he may be the finest passer ever to play the college game. His off day: 300 yards passing and 4 TDs. On the road. Against a Top 25 team.

Off day redefined.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Tua looked a little off this game idk why. He had a few games like this last year too.
I heard John Parker Wilson talk about how sometimes the off week can hurt you. He said Tua was hot, he had his timing with the receivers, and they were all playing "in the zone" and probably would rather not have the week off. He compared Tua to a basketball player who has a hot hand and can't miss the jump shot. He doesn't want a timeout, doesn't want a change of pace, he just wants the ball because he can't miss.

I tend to agree with that and think the week off may have actually hurt our offense. OTOH, I have confidence that Tua and the gang will get back in the groove.

Another point I'd like to make is that Tua is doing exactly what some people complained about him not doing last year - checking down to the back out of the backfield when the receivers are covered. I've seen him start to throw the long ball, only to stop and dump it to Najee or Robinson in the flats for big gains. As Donaldson said, when Tua has all that talent at WR to throw to, but can also check down and throw it to Najee who is wide open in the flats, that's unfair.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I have LSU ranked no. 1 in my current weekly poll—three spots ahead of our team. I assure you that I do not think a win against them is a given. But I DO have a lot of confidence and think we will beat them.

As for the whole Auburn at JHS thing, all kidding aside I think we’ve dissected this as much as either one of us can but I’ll try to give you a little more insight into my way of looking at it. You view the game with no fear and lots of optimism while I am much more cautious—the truth is BOTH of us can use history to support our approach. While you are no doubt thinking of 1999, 2001, 2009, 2011, and 2015, I’m looking back at 1989, 1993, 1997(I know we were the inferior team that season, but still the ‘weird things happen in JHS stadium’ held true in this game with the Scissum fumble) 2005, 2013, and 2017. They play harder and with more emotion against us than anyone else, while I think we have a tendency to play very tight(especially in that stadium). They know they will never have the tradition and level of success that we have, so beating us head to head is all they have to hang their hat on and it means EVERYTHING to them. Half of my family are barn fans and my neighbor across the street from my house had a son and father(a name that you would recognize) that both played for them so I know this well. So, while it hasn’t driven me mad(yet);), I will always get nervous anytime we have to go to JHS.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have LSU ranked no. 1 in my current weekly poll—three spots ahead of our team. I assure you that I do not think a win against them is a given. But I DO have a lot of confidence and think we will beat them.

As for the whole Auburn at JHS thing, all kidding aside I think we’ve dissected this as much as either one of us can but I’ll try to give you a little more insight into my way of looking at it. You view the game with no fear and lots of optimism while I am much more cautious—the truth is BOTH of us can use history to support our approach. While you are no doubt thinking of 1999, 2001, 2009, 2011, and 2015, I’m looking back at 1989, 1993, 1997(I know we were the inferior team that season, but still the ‘weird things happen in JHS stadium’ held true in this game with the Scissum fumble) 2005, 2013, and 2017. They play harder and with more emotion against us than anyone else, while I think we have a tendency to play very tight(especially in that stadium). They know they will never have the tradition and level of success that we have, so beating us head to head is all they have to hang their hat on and it means EVERYTHING to them. Half of my family are barn fans and my neighbor across the street from my house had a son and father(a name that you would recognize) that both played for them so I know this well. So, while it hasn’t driven me mad(yet);), I will always get nervous anytime we have to go to JHS.
Count me as surprised at how Florida, with an inexperienced QB, was able to move the ball and score against LSU. That is encouraging to believe that Tua and Bama's offense will be able to match up well in a shoot out with LSU. With no turnovers Bama's probability of a win at home increases. Obviously anything can happen against Auburn!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.